Thoughts on Register.com

Aside from the price of their domains, what are the thoughts of people on this board about Register.com, its service, support, etc?

wow, this is normally quite an opinionated bunch ...no thoughts?

They aren't anything special...

I had 2 domains registered with them in the past. They weren't responsive to my support/billing inquiries and did not offer a control panel of any sort. It took them over a week to modify my DNS information.

Currently, I have a few domains registered at DirectNic.com. They are one of the best registrars I've ever delt with, and charge 1/2 of what Register.com charges.

Originally posted by Synthetic

I had 2 domains registered with them in the past. They weren't responsive to my support/billing inquiries and did not offer a control panel of any sort. It took them over a week to modify my DNS information.
    Thanks -- how long ago was that? I registered a test domain with them this week, and they have a pretty extensive control panel. If you are using their name servers, you can add and delete A and MX records, change the SOA around, etc.

If you are using your own name servers, you can change those, and any contact information through the control panel.

I used them quite a bit up until about 8 months ago and never had any trouble with them at all.

Their control panel made it very easy to manage DNS through their servers and the security seemed acceptible. Transfering out of there was no trouble at all and took less than the three days I was told it would take.

The only reason I don't use them today is their cost.
    <!-- boo! -->

If you ever will need your support you are left alone. I had two cases where I needed their support urgently, in the second case it took them 6 days for even answering it and in the first case 10 days and several faxes.
    Stay away from them.

Walter -- thanks for the information, did you try calling them, or was it just through e-mail/fax? And how long ago was that?

I appreciate all the feedback guys, any more is greatly appreciated .

Originally posted by uuallan
    did you try calling them, or was it just through e-mail/fax? And how long ago was that?
    I tried to call them several times but never got a human. I got a resolution because I was able to find out an email address from a marketing woman from them and sent her an email (more a cry for help).
    The first case was in March 2001, the second sometimes this year.
    I was pretty mad

Hopeless,

Useful support seems to be non existent...

I'm waiting for a reply to a support request that I sent them three days ago.

Phil

ForumDirectory.net

uuallan:

In response to your question; I was with the company quite a whie ago (more than 5 months at least.)

I'm not sure whether or not they've improved, but for what they're charging and the quality of support they offer, I'd go elsewhere.

Originally posted by Synthetic

I'm not sure whether or not they've improved, but for what they're charging and the quality of support they offer, I'd go elsewhere.
    Thanks . I'm not thinking about using them as a registrar, I'm considering accepting a job with them .

They weren't bad when I used them, but I moved to openSRS now..

Sean
    Sean Higgins
    Pixel Seven
    http://www.pixelseven.com

Way down the line

Too many problems with transfers away, etc. Stick to OpenSRS, Enom, Dotster for ease of use.

Re: Thoughts on Register.com

Aside from the price of their domains, what are the thoughts of people on this board about Register.com, its service, support, etc?
    Keep in mind this is the same firm who owns Afternic.com and seems to be responsible for running AN into the ground with alleged amazingky poor or non-existant cust support and alleged incredibly bad client relations.

That's believed to be the reason Afternic Forums, Appraisal Boards and Chat were closed by AN with no notification (how inconsiderate of them!), making AN apppear to be little more than a worthless Automated BOT.

According to SnapNames their registrations are also dropping sharply on a long decline and OpenSRS has now moved ahead of Register.com as the #2 Registrar.

You really can't beat an OpenSRS reseller. Great online instant modifications, fast online transfers with no hassle, paperwork and they are also free (many others like GoDaddy and EasySpace charge a substantial fee for transfers and also may require lots of paperwork).

My suggested OpenSRS firm is http://www.Webfirms.com
    Last edited by Trader; 06-10-2002 at 05:01 AM.

register.com was OK, nothing to write home about. DirectNIC has MUCH better support and is much cheaper. I'm also very happy with Namecheap (great price and good support so far).

Im really mad with them. I have had them for 2 weeks. I boguht two domains. They are still visable on whois but my account user and pass won't work. I made two separate accounts! They wont even email the info to my email. The default email points to [email protected] Everyone stay away from them, its not worth it!!!! I wont be able to transfer them either!

by the way anyone post here that works @ register.com

I signed up a handful of domains with register.com when they had their $1/year domain sale. When it came time to renew, I transferred one domain away, which prompted an e-mail from register.com offering me renewal at a significantly lower price (better to take a lower fee than to lose a customer altogether).

On the other domains, i let those expire. They must have sent me at least 20 e-mails each asking me to renew those domains, and there was no way for me to stop those annoying e-mails.

Re: Thoughts on Register.com

Besides trying to grab your money without asking they are fine. They have this new feature called Auto-Renew and it takes money off your CC without notice. It auto-renews the domains you have.

I never had that enabled, long story short; they credit my CC.

I am transferring all domains to GODADDY. Eventually I will also transfer all my domains from 123cheapdomains to godaddy as well.
    D&D A&F
    [graphics][printing][web]