Running a News Server

I have a dedicated server, and I am quite interested in setting up a private nntp server.

I understand that running a news server sucks up a load of bandwidth and hard disk space. Thats ok- i have lots to spare, and I am only interested in a few newsgroups.

What sort of cost would be associated with doing this, and what do i have to do to do it. Or, in more straight forward terms- What steps would i have to take to get this up and running?

thanks for any help

usually if you rent a leased line access form your upstream (UUNET, Sprint etc) - they provide a free news feed service to your news server. From there, you can limit newsgroup directories you need to save resources (e.g. disk space, bandwidth etc). If you are on a dedicated server rented from a hosting company - they may provide newsfeed for your server but I am sure there are additional costs, since they usually don't have their own news server and their (hosting company) upstream will not directly feed your news server......

I'm currently at exodus, and I can't find any info as to whether they can supply news services.

call your sales rep or ask their support - I didnt find any news feed service at their website..