Question Advertising in the Yellow pages for web design

We run a webhosting and design company and are thinking of advertising in the yellow pages...I understand the the yellow pages may not be the best place to advertise for hosting, but what about for design and e-commerce sites? Anyone had any experience with this? The cost of an 1/8 page color ad is going to run 479 a month...-code x

You think people look at the yellow pages when looking for a new host? I know I never did..

I'm not sure if that'd be the greatest idea. After all, if people are looking for a web design company, they'll want to at least see some of their work. It would be impossible to showcase your true talents in a 1/8-page ad. Most web design sites have portfolios of past work done so that prospective customers know what kind of services they'll be getting.

Also, I can't speak for everyone, but when I look for web-related services, I look on the net, not in the yellow pages.

My two cents,
    ~Aralanthiriel

There is an island of opportunity in the middle of every difficulty. Miss the island, though, and you're pretty much doomed.

Re: Advertising in the Yellow pages for web design

Originally posted by jbenner
    We run a webhosting and design company and are thinking of advertising in the yellow pages...I understand the the yellow pages may not be the best place to advertise for hosting, but what about for design and e-commerce sites? Anyone had any experience with this? The cost of an 1/8 page color ad is going to run 479 a month...-code x
    I don't know how effective it is, but there are two or three web designers who I know personally that have done it for the last three years. I figure if it wasn't effective they wouldn't keep doing it. Out of curiosity I picked up the yellow pages and the web developer's section for my city has about four pages. Most of them have a url in the ads and listings so I guess that would be one way to let potential customers see your portfolio.

Yellow Pages

Im not sure what country you are from but this is my opinion!

Here in Australia we have worked very closely to Pacific Access the producers of Yellow Pages down here.

I have found that even though yes people dont always browse through the Yellow pages book as they use to, they all do it online now!

Try cut a deal with yellow pages into featuring you on there website too when people do a search and i think you need to pay more for this service but also get them to have a link to your website.

The benefits of this is if you get the audience that you want from Yellow Pages you can charge more for your hosting/webdesign because chances are that they newbies and you will need to support them alittle more.

Most of the time i am guessing they are newbies because they have not gone through to do a basic search at google or other engines.

Hope this helps

Regards,
    www.SURRENDERONLINE.com.au
    Perfect Solutions Every Time! Sydney Based :: Dedicated Servers :: Colocation :: Superior Support::Reseller Solutions

Our Yellow Page ad was, by far, the biggest waste of money.

What's worse, is you can't cancel it after you figure out that its not working...you're stuck paying for it for the entire year.

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

I have to agree with most people so far that it would not be the best use of your advertising budget. I think you would be far better off using that money networking with hosting companies and small businesses in your area.

I don't know who your target clientelle is, but I think for the most part networking is the most effective means of gaining new clients. The best advertising does not cost money...writing articles for trade magazines, submitting press releases, and yes, cold calling on potential clients.