Threatening RackShack with cancellation

Interesting thing.

RackShack seems to be completely immune from any threats we as customers can make of cancellation. They don't have to adhere to any level of service to keep us on board.

I cancelled a server the other day because tech support refused to acknowledge and replace a faulty hard drive in the unit. They restored it, put it back on the market, and I watched it sell again within the hour. So not only was it irrelevant to them that I cancelled the server, they also got another setup fee out of the deal. And the customer that bought it is going to have to deal with a faulty hard drive.

So it just feels at this point like I am an absolutely insignificant customer to them because there are hundreds of people just waiting in line to take my servers if I leave. How can there ever be individual accountability?

Accountability

Frankly, they sell the servers so darn cheap, people are lining up to buy them. They never promise great support or service, in fact if you check around they often don't provide it. The fact is, you get what you pay for in life and there are enough people out there willing to take the risk for the cost savings RS can offer.

Those companies/webmasters who cannot or do not want to take the risk, go elsewhere, usually paying more but are happy about it.

For me, I would rather pay a little more and know I am getting the best, some don't care so there will always be RS and similar companies out there.

So, to answer your question, unless a majority of their customers get fed up with what they are getting, they won't change because they don't need to.
    Brad @ Xiolink
    XIOLINK. Your data...always within reach.
    http://www.xiolink.com
    1-877-4-XIOLINK [+01 314 621 5500]

Rackshack may even be happy that you are going, since you paid the big setup fee.

Peter

The only way we seem to get any sort of action from RS is if we go directly to Patrick from EV1. My hat goes off to him for sure. But really, we have had hardware problem after hardware problem after hardware problems with our servers. Its mostly when we first get them however. 3 out of 4 of our RS servers had hardware problems when we first got them. the other developed a problem with the hard drive a few months in. We notified them of this, and it took them a couple of hours ( about 12 ) to actually investigate it. When they did, they too found the fault. Anyways, I can write a book with all the things we have been through with them.

Really the only way to get back at them is to not purchase there products again. Rackshack rents out there servers at an extremely low price, and they need to make up for it elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they re-sold the faulty equipment that was taken out of my server, in fact, i sort of expect it.

Edit: The above is not meant to bash RS. I have been with them since november of last year, and this is MY opinion of them.

Originally posted by Haze
    The only way we seem to get any sort of action from RS is if we go directly to Patrick from EV1. My hat goes off to him for sure. But really, we have had hardware problem after hardware problem after hardware problems with our servers. Its mostly when we first get them however. 3 out of 4 of our RS servers had hardware problems when we first got them. the other developed a problem with the hard drive a few months in. We notified them of this, and it took them a couple of hours ( about 12 ) to actually investigate it. When they did, they too found the fault. Anyways, I can write a book with all the things we have been through with them.

Really the only way to get back at them is to not purchase there products again. Rackshack rents out there servers at an extremely low price, and they need to make up for it elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they re-sold the faulty equipment that was taken out of my server, in fact, i sort of expect it.

Edit: The above is not meant to bash RS. I have been with them since november of last year, and this is MY opinion of them.
    i totally agree

patrick is great.

What I've found is that this certainly is not true:
    The fact is, you get what you pay for in life
    Just because you pay a lot does not mean that you will necessarily get good service or hardware or support.

The inverse is often true however:

you most often don't get what you don't pay for

only if you're lucky do you get what you do pay for

lol, now thats something I agree with.

Originally posted by panopticon
    What I've found is that this certainly is not true:
    Just because you pay a lot does not mean that you will necessarily get good service or hardware or support.

The inverse is often true however:

you most often don't get what you don't pay for

only if you're lucky do you get what you do pay for

Originally posted by ckpeter
    Rackshack may even be happy that you are going, since you paid the big setup fee.

Peter
    Yep, yep, yep!

From a customer service angle.. RS does what they can. first of all how many servers are they running?

figure around 10,000 ? ( probably more but we'll say that for argument sake )

now how many complain about RS in a month?

200?

ok so that is 20%? or 0.02 of their client base.. that is a good average . considering they are in a service industry.

I work in customer service for a Major company.. and we don't keep those levels.

Plus you have to figure 95% of the hardware problems are on newly purchased machines. which is about expected even if you install 500 machines a month.. you will have issues with 20%-45%

due to hardware manufactures.

Now i do have 2 RS servers, both of which run fine for me.. and have since i got them. I feel that everyone needs to look at it from all angles before just attacking a company.

I mean it seems RS is trying to work through their issues and in time will become better for it, but you also have to remember RS is basically the Wal-Mart of hosts... sometimes it's great sometimes it's not.