hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Computers and Peripherals : Is my router broken?

Forum Jump

Is my router broken?

Reply Post New Thread In Computers and Peripherals Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Guru

Exclamation

Is my router broken?

Hey guys. I currently have a router that can split the connection to 4 PCs. About a week or so ago, all the ports were working fine.

Yesterday, I took out the ethernet cable from Port 3 (It was a 5m one) and changed it with a 50m one because we were setting up another computer at another room.

Well, since then, Port 3 has been working up.

Port 1 (mine), Port 2 (bro's), Port 4 (internet phone) works fine and is going at full speed of 100mbps. But for Port 3, if I run it at full 100mbps, the computer can't even connect to the router. If I put it at half 10mbps, then it at least connects. If the cable is short, the internet's great, if I try out the 50m one, it starts to lag up a bit.

I know that the 50m one works for sure because I connected it to Port 1, 2, and 4 and it works fine. It seems like there's a possible problem with Port 3?

I allow the computer so that the DHCP thing is turned on (retrieving IPs automatically and such), but it seems like it can't retrieve it.

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old
Community Liaison 2.0

What kind of router are we talking about here? It could be a problem physically with the port; have you checked that it looks the same inside as the rest?

A serial entrepreneur is someone who effectively manages startups within their means to manage them, not someone who runs 30 different business ideas at once hoping one works. If I wanted to hire someone to throw things at a wall to see what sticks, I'd hire a two year old.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Did it run at 100mbit before just fine?

Sponsored Links
Old
Managed Hosting Expert

If its a crappy cable you will run into issues at 50 metres but that doesn't explain why just that port would.

Have you tried switching it on and off again?

Dan

█ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Old
Web Hosting Guru

I've tried restarting it and no luck.

Tailseh, yes it did run fine before. From the way it looks, it looks fine like the other three.

I doubt it's the computer setting because it doesn't work on all the labtops.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Hi There, Have you tried resetting the router to factory defaults by using the reset button? If not be sure to read the manufacturers instructions for a factory reset.

Regards,
Chris

Old
WHT Addict

make sure nothing heavy is sitting on the wire

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
ServInt CEO Promises to Improve Customer Communication in Wake of Reston, VA Data Center Outage Web Hosting News 2014-06-30 09:46:36
More Downtime for HostGator and BlueHost Customers as Router Issues Plague Utah Data Center Web Hosting News 2014-05-01 08:33:57
Update: Broken Cable Leaves Some Internet Customers in East Coast Region Offline Web Hosting News 2014-01-09 19:10:58
The Difference Between the NSA and “Everyone Else” Blog 2013-10-22 11:57:14
State of Oklahoma Drops Bribery Charges Against Windstream Communications Web Hosting News 2012-12-20 11:07:43