Need comments on new retail site, please

I'm almost done building this retail site. www.EngravedWood.com . The product page has only one product showing so far, but it should give you an idea of the layout. And the Order Page is incomplete. Other than that, it's finished.

Please give me your thoughts - overall design, useability, etc.

Please be ruthless. I have thick skin.

Thanks.
    Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

hi Vito.........

I really had no complaints about the site........
    I think the design really suits the purpose of the site.......I like product sites that are structured like this....

Home page has just the right amount of content, displays nice product images, and the nav is prominent.....

If you wanted to simplify the nav, you could keep only the major categories in the top nav, and put stuff like privacy and security in the footer.....that would give the visitor less to think about in terms of main nav............Or security and privacy could actually be combined into one category.........

anyway site looks good........
    --

Hi, 21.
    Yes, I've been flip-flopping about the nav bar. My original thought was to have an FAQ page that would include things like guarantee, shipping, etc. So they could see all the info by going to FAQ, or by clicking on a text link in the footer (Guarantee, Shipping, Privacy, Security etc) which would take them to the specific part of the FAQ page.

I guess I'll have to decide once and for all which way to go.

I'd like your opinion on the order process. I have 2 ways to go:

1. Customer clicks on Buy Now link on the product page, and it takes him to an Order Page that has ALL the products listed in an order form. The customer would select which products he wants, quantity, and then would proceed to my CC processor's site for payment. (This is the simple option)

2. Customer clicks on Buy Now on the product page, and it would add the product to the shopping cart. He would then have the option to return to the site and continue shopping. When finished, he would click on a "Checkout" link to continue the order process. (This is a more complex option requiring me to install a shopping cart script)

Question in a nutshell: Do you think Option 1 is fine, or should I add the shopping cart?

Thanks.
    Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

to be honest, I have never really liked the shopping cart thingies much.....but I guess they do serve a purpose.....

Anyway, with option 1, will that allow the user to select multiple products from that page, or can only one product be selected.??

...Ok, I just reread your post, and I am assuming it does allow that........

I personally prefer something like option 1.......but I guess it will depend on how many products there are, and what kind of expansion is expected in the product range.......
    If the range of products is small and expected to remain fairly static, then I would opt for option 1.......But if it is going to grow a lot, then better to implement something now that will be able to handle growth in the future.......

cheers
    --

Hey vito nice site, one thing, in the logo what is that object that is over the .com? Is it a laser engraver? Just courious, I know nothing about engraving, and I wasn't sure what that tool was....

One thing to think about, is if your customer wants to purchase mutilple items, meaning 2 different items, not 2 of the same item. So if you don't do the shopping cart script, the user would then have to cycle through the entire checkout process for each different item he/she wants to purchase.

Just some food for thought, good luck with the site buddy.

P.S. the phone is moving farther and farther away from me each time I see a new design from ya

Take care~

<edit>21 and I must have been posting at the same time, he had the same questions as me and I did the same thing he did and mis-read the post from you, nevermind my question</edit>
    www.pajcorp.com -- coming soon to an internet near you...

Oklahoma Sooners all the way baby!!

Thanks, guys.
    Well, given that the total amount of products would likely be max 20-25, I think I'll go with option 1. On the order page, the customer would have the option to pick multiple items in whatever quantity he wants. It's just a matter of building the form that way (checkboxes, dropdown lists, textbox for Qty, etc).

So the customer would only have to use the order form once, regardless of how many items ordered.

That is a hand chisel in the logo.

LOL Dj, my mission in life is make you eventually put the phone into storage due to lack of use...

Vito

Vito, can I just ask one question, I don't mean to be a smart a@@ but you say you are a laser engraver right? Why would you put a hand chisel then? Would it make more sense to show the "engraved" part of the logo being engraved with some sort of laser effect to go along with the tag line of the site? JUst a question please take no offense to it.
    www.pajcorp.com -- coming soon to an internet near you...

Oklahoma Sooners all the way baby!!

Reviewed...

Nicely done.

Completely suitable for its purpose!

Lime Drop Marketing!
    Web Design | Graphic Design | Logo Design
    http://www.limedrop.ca

Not bad Matches its subject.

It just seemed a little.. dull to me.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Dull? I prefer obtuse

Dj, certainly no offense taken. I told you, I have thick skin. Besides, it's a valid question. You're right. I provide laser engraved products, yet I'm showing a hand chisel. Reason: I tried for hours to make something in Fireworks that resembles the look of laser engraving. Sad to say, I butchered every attempt terribly. It always looked like lightning was striking the piece of wood. I ended up giving up and putting a hand chisel.

When I have some time, I will re-attempt the laser look. Hopefully I will succeed. In the meantime, if anyone can give me a quick tutorial on how to achieve that effect, I would greatly appreciate it.

Vito