How many months (no "depends" please)

What do you guys think is the average number of months a typical shared client stays? Yeah I know it "depends". Now how about just an average from your perspective?

I'm guessing 10 months.

average 36-39 months for us

Average

On Average, why would they leave???

Where do you get ten months from?

Some people start a website not knowing that much and after a year decide it is not for them. On average though most people stay, they have no reason to leave.
    www.38h.com - Windows Hosting, Resellers and Dedicated

www.iistalk.net Windows only forum.

Re: Average

Originally posted by jgriff64
    Where do you get ten months from?
    Just guessing.

Well if the service is good (e.g. not many server problems, etc.) and good customer support it should be longer then 10 months.

Greetings:

Our parent company since has customers since it started offering services, and has approximtely 2% per year churn rate.

With that stated, the average stay is three to five years (and in the case of our parent company, some customers have been customers for close to seven years).

Why do customers leave?

(Percentages listed will add up to 100%; all percentages apply to the 2% per year turn over.)

50% - Internet business plans did not work out for them or they went out of business; web site was closed.

15% - They got cable or DSL service and their cable / DSL provider includes web hosting. Of note, 99% of the customers asked will state service here was excellent, but want one bill and don't believe in paying for something they are not using (mainly paying for DSL getting web space and not using it).

15% - They contracted with a web site designer whom utilized a technology not supported.

10% - They contracted with a web site designer that had an established relationship with another provider; and, convinced the client they would be better served by the designer by hosting company xyz used by the designer.

5% - Believe all web hosting is equal, and found hosting for less money.

1% - Acquisition by another party that already has an established relationship with a hosting provider.

1% - Their designer, neighbor, friend now does hosting ;-)

1% - Moved to hosting in-house.

1% - Dead beats; did not pay bills and service was terminated.

1% - Unknown; no reason, would not communicate.

Thank you.
    ---
    Peter M. Abraham
    LinkedIn Profile

We lose maybe 1 client a year and gain 5-10 a month. not much churn for our web-hosting clients.

[i]We lose maybe 1 client a year and gain 5-10 a month. not much churn for our web-hosting clients [/B]
    Im not in your company, but i find that hard to believe, we lose a few every month or two just based on the fact that they dont want to maintain a site anymore...we do follow-ups on where customers go if they leave to back that statement up, but i wouldnt count on 99.9% of your customers staying for a year.

So far since our launch (8/2001) we have lost only one customer (sort of). The customer "thought all hosting services were equal" and switched to another host. About a month later he contacted me and said "XXXX sucks... I will be coming back after my contract is over"; they "don't believe in paying for something that there not using" (e.g. their current host).

That is the extent of our customer churn.
    Joel Strellner

I've already lost a few because they opted to go for "unlimited" bandwidth hosts after they went over their bandwidth limit and found out I'd charge them for over-usage.

I've lost a few that thought domain name registration was included.

Unless a host just has very very few signups I just don't see the above happening at least ONCE every few months.

depends
    Web Hosting since 1999

Originally posted by davehooper.net
    depends
    Agreed

Originally posted by davehooper.net
    depends
    mmmm..... I think my grandparents have those.
    Joel Strellner