* Do not start a free web host.

I remember posts by people who wanted to start a free web host. Well, I'm telling you it's a BAD IDEA! There are way to many people who want free websites and I'll share from a past experience.

More than a year ago(I believe) I started some free hosting. I used some space from a server in which the resources weren't being used. After about 2 weeks of having my site up I had about 300 clients!! And they were using about 20gb bandwidth. Not only that, but I got so many emails each day about simple questions - 'how do I upload files?' and stuff. Eventually, I did shut down that plan. But I want to tell people who are looking at free hosting - you will be bombarded with sites. And do you want to provide support to 300+ clients for free?

I can't fathom why anyone would ever want to open up a free hosting service. Maybe back in the idiotic ad boom days, but now? Not in a billion years.

Well, I didn't for a moment doubt that there were people foolish enough to consider such things....I only said I couldn't imagine doing it...

For anyone who is STILL planning to start a free host, let me give you some tips:

- Ads are NOT bad. Ads that are really annoying are, but if you hav have non-intrusive ads, there is nothing wrong with them. You can program them to be top and bottum of each page, content oriented, etc. and they compliment the page.

- Offer no technical support. Have a knowledge base, and a "Delete my account" page. Provide some links to ]services such as SitePoint, HTMLite, etc., but let them figure out what to do, afterall, you're not being paid.

- Be vehement about blocking spam. Failure to do so could cause you a lot of problems.

- No CGI's. Don't allow CGI, PHP, or MySQL, they'll hog resources, make a great venue for spam, and could be determental to your servers if put in the wrong hands. You could provide pre-installed CGI, but nothing else.

- Keep accounts small, 5-20 MB, and restrict bandwidth.

- Filter *.p3 files unless you want to pay a lot in bandwidth costs.

The best advice is to never start a free hosting service, but if you're going to do so, take A LOT of advice from people on this board. I would also suggest following the GeoCities model. Their model seemed to work fairly well. Sure they had crappy service, but no body's paying for it except the premium members.

Re: Do not start a free web host.

Originally posted by mas3000
    I remember posts by people who wanted to start a free web host. Well, I'm telling you it's a BAD IDEA! There are way to many people who want free websites and I'll share from a past experience.

More than a year ago(I believe) I started some free hosting. I used some space from a server in which the resources weren't being used. After about 2 weeks of having my site up I had about 300 clients!! And they were using about 20gb bandwidth. Not only that, but I got so many emails each day about simple questions - 'how do I upload files?' and stuff. Eventually, I did shut down that plan. But I want to tell people who are looking at free hosting - you will be bombarded with sites. And do you want to provide support to 300+ clients for free?
    I think you just had a bad experience or you did not check for accounts with warez and file storage which used up all your bandwidth
    I am making quite a bit of money from free hosting with advertising
    High Quality Web Hosting from Host Ultra
    Visit us online at www.hostultra.com