Linux VPS, cpanel, Virtuozzo, to help newbie with VPSing

hi,

I am looking for a different VPS provider.
    I am currently with hostforweb.com right now, and basic things like serving HTML and PHP pages have been extremely slow. I almost have to reboot my server every other day, and its becoming a nusance to me, and their tech support isn't all that great either.

so I am looking for a different hosting provider that..

1. is located here in the United States, both the provider and the datacenter they use, as all my clients and site visitors that stay active on my sites are here in the United States.
    2. uses Virtuozzo Power Panel
    3. cpanel/WHM/RVSkin options
    4. paypal monthly billing
    5. is willing to help out a VPS newbie setup and secure my VPS

Thats pretty much it.. I don't care really what OS I use. my VPS provider now has me on centOS 3.7, which seems a bit slow and outdated, and I've wondered how secure it is anyway,as even doing basic operations like SSH is just soo slow on it, so I'm looking for someone that installs by default something a bit more secure, and speedier then centOS 3.7, ya know what I mean?

my wife kurlylox.com uses knownhost, and I have looked at their plans, but for what I need could be on the expensive side just a bit..

what I have now is:

Storage: 15 GB
    Bandwidth: 400GB
    Guaranteed RAM: 256mb
    Max RAM: 12GB
    Guaranteed CPU: 208.8+ Mhz

and I'm just not sure what all this really means?
    Out of that 15 GB storage space, I only have maybe 1 GB used, so I could even go down to 5 or 10 as far as storage is concerned. My Bandwidth has never gone above 1 GB either, so 400GB could be on the high side as well..

the main thing, is I don't understand how much Guaranteed RAM, Max RAM, and Guaranteed CPU usage I need, and I'm kindoff looking for someone to handle all that for me so to speak without hiking the price up too much.

Right now, I'm paying $34.95 + $2 for RVSkin per month, which is $36.95/mo
    which I know is a good price for all that, but i could go a little higher, up to $40/mo, for better quality service, I just don't know right now what to do.

The main thing, as I said, is my VPS is always sooo slow, and I'm having to reboot it every other day because services always freeze or time-out, and their tech support hasn't been very helpful on that. I mean, they have tried, but what they do doesn't seem to fix the speed problems any, so they just give up trying to help me with it.

I also use PHP 4, mysql 4, imageMagick, pspell module for PHP, and a few other things for customized PHP programming that I do, like for my commercial forum software I use on it requires PHP 4.3 and mysql 4.1 minimum for its search functions , and just some PHP/mysql scripts I have written for my own needs, nothing major though just things like my own guestbook, recipe database, things like that, but I've also written some capcha scripts with PHP's PEAR modules for spam control, basically trying to secure my server as best I can because I always seem to be prone to spammers for some reason spamming both my websites and email accounts, more so then with shared accounts in my past, so I am looking for a host that will help me work all that out without saying its my responsibility to secure it myself like they always tell me.. Its not that I don't want to, its that, I don't know how, and if a host isn't going to teach me how, least they could do is do it for me, as its really important to me to have a secure, speedy server, speedy as in serving webpages without taking 20 mins to load anyway, hehe

thanks, take care.
    Last edited by bubazoo; 07-29-2006 at 09:02 PM.

oh and also looking for

Moving assitance to new host....sorry ran out of edit time...hehe

I'll also be using cpanel/WHM, Fantastico, and RVSkin. I don't mind paying more for Fantastico and RVSkin, but really don't want to pay extra for cpanel if I can help it, because that generally raises the price up higher the my budget usually.
    Last edited by bubazoo; 07-29-2006 at 09:25 PM.

For RAM, I would suggest getting a VPS that has least 128MB (since your going to be running cPanel on it). If you can afford it, go to 256MB. You might be better going a little bit down on the amount of disk and bandwidth, to fit your budget. I would suggest around 10GB disk, and 200GB of bandwidth. You might want to find a provider with low bandwidth overages, just in case(TM). There are a *few* providers out there that bundle cPanel with their VPS plans, but, most (read: nearly all) offer it as an add-on for $5-15 monthly.
    Nick Devito
    Atarack Communications, Inc - Xen-based VPS Services

Bubazoo,

I'm far from being an expert on vps's since I am as new to it as you but I wonder if your VPS is really as slow as it seems. I felt mine was extremely slow as well when I got it 3 weeks ago and I was afraid I made the wrong choice but after going through each step in the "Secure and Optimize your VPS" thread it ended up twice as fast.

Unless you paid for pro-active management on your VPS I doubt your provider spent some time optimizing your environment. Disabling unneeded services in cpanel gave me a lot of extra speed.

It's possible that your vps is slow, I guess it happens but if your as new to it as I am I think it's worth taking the time to make sure your VPS is tailored to your needs before going through the hassle of moving because you could end-up being disapointed again.

Quote Originally Posted by EricG
    Bubazoo,

I'm far from being an expert on vps's since I am as new to it as you but I wonder if your VPS is really as slow as it seems. I felt mine was extremely slow as well when I got it 3 weeks ago and I was afraid I made the wrong choice but after going through each step in the "Secure and Optimize your VPS" thread it ended up twice as fast.

Unless you paid for pro-active management on your VPS I doubt your provider spent some time optimizing your environment. Disabling unneeded services in cpanel gave me a lot of extra speed.

It's possible that your vps is slow, I guess it happens but if your as new to it as I am I think it's worth taking the time to make sure your VPS is tailored to your needs before going through the hassle of moving because you could end-up being disapointed again.
    Well, so far I have been doing all that, but yet my VPS still runs extremely slow for some reason...

I just wish that I could find a VPS hosting provider, that would install and configure the necessary programs I need to run regular security checks, then I can always run them or have them put them in a cron job for me, but in so many ways I wish I could find a hosting provider that would do the dirty work for me, but at the same time, I can't afford any more then $40 a month, so I'm not sure what to do really.

mostly, its cpanel/WHM that runs so slow. FTP, mail, webpages that kind of thing run fine it seems, and I have done chkrootkits and all that seem fine nothing detected, but i have often wondered if its because I have only 256mb guaranteed RAM, would that have anything to do with it by chance?

otherwise I have no idea. and I haven't the foggiest idea how to install bruit force detection and all that other crap,

main thing is cpanel/WHM runs slow from the web browser, and I'm not sure why. I notice it when I go from my wifes shared account to my VPS, the speed of page loads is a major difference, and sometimes even times out and I have to hit refresh, or restart the server to get things operational again, its almost as if I don't have enough resources or something.. but I don't know if I should ask for a higher guaranteed RAM limit, if that would make any difference or not? any ideas?

another thing is I have been getting hit with spam in my email boxes, massive amounts of spam, and I have formmails and cgiemails removed, except for the ones the exist within cpanel and I'm not sure if its safe to chmod 000 all the ones in the cpanel directories or not? and I'm not sure if thats the problem anyway

I only have 2 user accounts on the server, besides root of course, so I'm not sure why my server's cpanel runs so slowly, and I'm not a reseller so both accounts are my websites, so I'm not sure why cpanel is running so slowly, but would a guaranteed RAM upgrade help at all?