Thread: php5 on Debian

php5 on Debian

Is there a linux distribution in which php5 is considered stable? The debian packages are listed as 'unstable'.

Odd, unless you were looking in the unstable branch. PHP5 is in stable use on several distros including Debian - Slackware, CentOS, Ubuntu, RedHat, SuSE, the BSD's, Solaris ...
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

testing and unstable distributions

php5 for debian is part of the testing and unstable distributions. So php5 for debian is not itself unstable. I misunderstand. It is just not part of stable Debian.

You can try the packages from dotdeb.org, they are working fine on some of my customer's VPS.

That being said, ONLY use the php5 package, nothing more (the clamav package, for example, totaly screw up the system, refuses to setup and destroy all if you want to reinstall the package from Sarge).

Thomas
    GPLHost:>_ open source hosting worldwide (I'm founder, CEO & official Debian Developer)
    Servers & our leading control panel and our Xen VPS hosting, which are already included in Debian and Ubuntu
    Available in: Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Sydney, Seattle, Atlanta, Paris, London, Barcelona, Zurich, Israel

The only way I could get php5 on a customer's 64-bit debian VPS, I had to upgrade the box to etch, as the php5 packages required a 2.4 glibc, and some other packages. You might want to try that.
    Nick Devito
    Atarack Communications, Inc - Xen-based VPS Services

Check out the dotdeb repositories. They are exactly what you are looking for. They have regularly updated mysql4, mysql5, php4, php5, vpopmail and qmail packages for debain stable. They are maintainted by an offical php developer and are recomended on the official php website so you can trust them. They sometimes get security updates before any of their debain counterparts.

http://www.dotdeb.org/

(edit)
    GLP: Didn't see your post. I'm one of your (satisfied) customers of whom you speak. I've been using dotdeb mysql packages as well and have never had a problem. I have not used the dotdeb vpopmail, but the one in sarge is pretty broken so pretty much anything ought to be better.

For up-to-date clamAV packages for sarge, people should know to use debian-volatile <http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-volatile/>.

The official debian mailing list where questions about running a debian-based VPS would be on-topic is debian-isp. http://lists.debian.org/debian-isp/
    Last edited by Velvet Elvis; 07-29-2006 at 07:03 PM.

offical php developer and are recomended on the official php website so you can trust them.
    I didn't realize he was a php developer. That's is good to know. Thanks!