Thread: Seeking advice

Seeking advice

Hello,

Our current host is servelocity.net and we are using their Unlimited VPS.

Due to the recent problems with their service and support, I am looking for alternatives. Because our current server is a VPS, we'd prefer to get another VPS because of their flexibility and better system resources compared to shared hostings, but I'm open to all suggestion as long as it is affordable.

Our main requirements are minimum 30GB filespace, preferrably more to be future-proof. Enough bandwidth to serve public file downloads, at least 1TB monthly bandwidth but preferrably unmetered monthly bandwidth with reasonable throughput. But there's a catch; we're a non-profit community and we get the income to pay for the server from advertisements. Monthly costs can't go much higher than £30 / $55 / 44€.

The closest I have found is TekTonik's UM3. But I am unsure whether they are better than Servelocity or not. At least they offer 10GB more filespace and Debian instead of the outdated FC2 for the same price as Servelocity. However, the 3.0Mbit outbound throughput is a bit worrisome thinking of the file downloads, but this can be taken care of by restricting throughput of the downloads subdomain.

Are there any other decent VPS or dedicated server plans in this price range that meet the minimum requirements above? Thanks in advance.

I think you should spring for a dedicated server with that hefty transfer requirement. Try using advertising to raise the funds you need to afford one.

A dedicated server would certainly be nice, as a matter of fact I just discovered Amsterdam based Leaseweb and their budget and express series of dedicated servers.

Do you know if Leaseweb's Budget Server 1 would be better in every way compared to TekTonik's UM3 and Servelocity's Unlimited? Or is there a catch I haven't noticed? The budget server 1 is after all even cheaper than both VPS'...

I also suggest a Dedicated Server, they are getting cheaper.
    Web Hosting is not a business for me, it's a hobby!