hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : what would you recomend

Forum Jump

what would you recomend

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2006, 09:06 PM

what would you recomend

im pretty new to this all.

what solution would you say is the best to host a web site that would have simular features and functions as a youtube.com type of site were theres alot of audio or video uploading and downloading as well as streaming. and what companies offer the solution that you recommend for the best pos. price (my budget is tight)

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2006, 09:41 PM
Everything in life is swelly

Well that depends on alot of factors. One is going to be size. It looks as if it will be a startup correct? If so, then a dedicated server will suit you just fine. Reason behind that is most providers on a shared platform are going to have resource limitations and if your website starts to get alot of visitors and such you could be considered "excessive usage" On the other hand a dedicated server will be able to consume those resources and handle the in/out traffic that will come with the large amount of visitors and downloads such as images/movies, clips, etc. However you say that your budget is tight. I believe that a decent server you will need to spend quite a few. So perhaps start off on a VPS to see how it will handle. Not too sure about limitations as far as other providers go on that.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:04 PM

It is a start up.
I would like to keep the monthly cost down under $175.00, if I could keep it below $100 that would be great but I doubt that’s possible.
Would you recommend a dual processor or a duel hard drive? How much monthly transfer gb should I look to get. What processor is the best for this application? What companys offer the best deals for the platform you would recommend?

Last edited by yosisays; 07-23-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Web Hosting Master

Hi,

Site like youtube, uses lots of bandwidth and space, but as start, I suggest get a Dedicated Server that can fit on your budget and just upgrade along the way... and if you don't have experience in managing a server, get a managed one.

Good Luck!

Regards,
Charles

Old 07-23-2006, 10:12 PM
Everything in life is swelly

Well there are alot of ways to approach this. My suggestion to you would be to cut costs as much as possible...which seems thats what you are trying to do in the first place. I really don't think you need to start off with a dedicated solution at this point. See how much visitors and resource you use at the first few months. Then if you grow, let your hosting solution grow with you. Most providers will let you upgrade your service at anytime. There are reseller solutions out there if you are not technical savvy to handle a VPS solution. Reseller packages tend to offer more disk space and bandwidth for less. I would suggest look for a provider who is running a nice machine, since you will be on a shared platform to start off with. Furthermore, with a shared solution, you just want to make sure the machine you are on will be stable (so the company basically), you want to make sure that the support will be up to par...(reviews on the host can give you an idea) and ofcourse don't base your choice soley on pricing levels, as you may find yourself back here in a few months asking the same questions.

There are plenty of reliable providers out there, just have to do your research. Come up with a list of providers that you may want to use and weigh out the good and the bad between each and make your choice. As far as traffic goes...I nor anyone else can really say how much traffic you are going to get. That part is all up to you, and how you promote your new website. I would say start off with a reseller solution at first and work your way up. See how things go and just plan ahead.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted