hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Do you trust kids?
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

Do you trust kids?

Closed Thread Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-23-2006, 01:23 PM

Do you trust kids?

I was just wondering what most of you thought on the concept of 'kids' were in the world of business whilst there still at school because i know that one of my site's that i designed is almost deffinatly hosted by school kids.

In a way they do provide a good and extremly cheap service allthough when i do need support and that is rare i do find it takes such a long time for a reply!

So what do you all think?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2006, 01:30 PM
Community Liaison

Generally a bad idea but on the rare occasion it works.

Think about when you were really young. All of a sudden a new girlfriend/boyfriend is the most important thing in the world. Some people can balance it at an early age but not the majority.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Web Hosting Master

It depend on the person. I was very mature when I was in HS. But if someone start a real business and don't have things like a business license, FBN publishing, then you shouldn't trust any business that isn't setup right.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Retired Moderator

I think that in general 'kids' do not have the ability to run a serious business. It seems (and this is just my observations over the past few years here on WHT) that summer/spring/winter break comes, kids get bored, and they think that they can open a hosting 'business' and earn some 'quick, easy spending money' to 'mess around with'. Then, when break is over their customers are left high and dry.

On the other hand, if it is a group of kids being guided by a teacher/responsible adult, things tend to go a lot smoother. I haven't ever seen a hosting business run this way but when I was in high school they had a business class that would make, market, and sell a product to the students.

There are always those rare kids that do understand the concept of responsibility and can build a successful, honest company. In my experience, though, those are few and far between.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:33 PM

I don't really mind, As long as they keep to their personal terms ect.

Their invoices are on time

Their status page is kept up - to - date

Their Hardware and software is kept up to date and if they were about to have downtime for a reason they would usually email to explain.

What does everyone else think?

Old 07-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Web Hosting Master

I think if kids were given more oppurtunities to start psuedo enterprises when they were at school, there would be alot more appreciation of what goes into making and maintaining a successful business and there would be a greater understanding as to why maturity and experience is required in order to run any such business.

I don't think kids are currently given these kind of oppurtunities. For the odd few kids, businessmanship comes naturally, however, for the vast majority it doesn't.

Jord

Old 07-23-2006, 01:42 PM

Basically these kids that i know live in my area and i know them failry well as i am close friends with their parents.

And one day they asked me where i hosted my website and i went home and emailed them and told them where.

The next day i got a reply and they could provide me the same thing for just £1 a month! and that really is cheap!

And so every since that website has been hosted with them to keep them going but now i have my own hosting business i dont really need to do that anymore.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnkeyIT
these kids that i know live in my area and i know them failry well as i am close friends with their parents.
Cough, Cough.

Old 07-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Basically these kids that i know live in my area and i know them failry well as i am close friends with their parents.

And one day they asked me where i hosted my website and i went home and emailed them and told them where.

The next day i got a reply and they could provide me the same thing for just 1 a month! and that really is cheap!

And so every since that website has been hosted with them to keep them going but now i have my own hosting business i dont really need to do that anymore.
Unless you have a great deal of funding or a very large customer base, I simply do not see how you can make a long-term profit from a 1 per month web hosting plan.
What will you do when the CPU overheats? Who will pay for that, and with what will you pay for it? Think long-term.

Jord

Old 07-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by effusionx1
What will you do when the CPU overheats?

Jord
Uh....get some more fans?

Old 07-23-2006, 01:57 PM
Web Hosting Master

I would say that it isn't a good idea for the majority of kids, although there are some who can handle it and build a decent business. But those are rare.

Old 07-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neobite
Uh....get some more fans?
.......and they will be free of charge will they?

Old 07-23-2006, 02:15 PM
Web Hosting Master Disaster

I would not trust them with a business site, but to help them get started and teach them the ropes of business is priceless... maybe an email here and there or if local kids, have a "meeting" once a month to go over "best business practices" like financials and customer support. Even an email to tell them to visit the barnes n noble business section. I've even purchased a "business for kids" book for a kid wanting to learn about business.

I do agree with the other posts, one life event can wreck a kid business, like the prom or week vacation. lol... All things considered, hosting is a very demanding business to do 100% right... I was in it for maybe 4 to 6 months before folding (not hurting any customers, BTW). I consider hosting a site like taking care of a pet... you would not agree to take care of a pet that you could only feed and water every two or three days...

Old 07-23-2006, 02:20 PM

Yes I agree with that

Old 07-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Superhero

Quote:
The next day i got a reply and they could provide me the same thing for just 1 a month! and that really is cheap!
You get what you pay for. 1 doesn't fund a hosting business, they wont be around long. It can't get any more clear than that.

Closed Thread

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Digital Realty Trust Completes 130,000 Square Foot Data Center in Massachusetts Web Hosting News 2013-07-22 13:56:54
Digital Realty Trust Acquires Data Centers in Phoenix and Dallas Web Hosting News 2013-04-04 12:16:45
Digital Realty Trust Acquires Australian Data Center for $12.4 Million Web Hosting News 2013-01-10 16:33:39
Digital Realty Trust Names Former Salesforce Executive to SVP of Sales Web Hosting News 2013-01-08 10:44:40
Digital Realty Trust Acquires Massive Data Center in New Jersey Web Hosting News 2012-11-30 15:30:25