Here's an easy way to know the number of active visitors on your website at any given moment. To accomplish this, we are going to use traditional ASP.
1) First of all, we will need to create a file that keeps the track of active users. For that, create a file called 'global.asa'.
2) Paste the following contents in it and save it:
<script LANGUAGE=VBScript RUNAT=Server>
Application("ActiveVisitors") = 0
Application("ActiveVisitors") = Application("ActiveVisitors") + 1
Application("ActiveVisitors") = Application("ActiveVisitors") - 1
3) Upload this file to your webroot, typically it will be 'wwwroot'.
4) Okay, we're halfway there. Now we need to create a simple ASP file that will display the number.
5) Create an ASP file with any name, I'll use the name 'visitors.asp'.
7) Paste the following contents in it and save it:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<h3>Number of users visiting this site currently: <%=application("ActiveVisitors")%></h3>
8) Upload this file anywhere on your website.
9) You're done!
All you need to do now is to browse the 'visitors.asp' page and it will give the number of active visitors on your website!
Your feedback is welcome!
ps: this thread is originaly posted by Vaugh at accuweb hosting forums.