* Help setting up Plesk...

Hi all!

I'm a newbee in the server maintenance area, so I need help from the many experts on WHT...

I've just taken the plunge from a reseller account on a shared hosting to a VPS solution running Plesk. The thing is, now I'm completely blank on what I need to do. All I want to do is install some application for my clients to use, but before I even get to that part I've already met some obstacle. So if you could help me to get started... here are my first few questions:

1. I've been given 2 IP addresses by my new host. Should I make these both IP's exclusive or shared or maybe one exclusive and one shared? What's the difference? I've been told by my host that those 2 IPs are for NS1 and NS2. I want to be able to provide hosting for my clients with different domains.

2. Continuing question... If the physical storage of the domain is on, say NS2, how would request directed to NS1 know that the domain is on NS2? Sorry if my question is not making any sense...

3. My host has installed Plesk8 for me, does that mean apache is installed? I've been looking for the apache directory, but I can't find it. Where do you usually install apache?

That's it for now, once I know the answer to the above questions, I've got a million more

Regards,
    Greg

I believe the ns1 and ns2 are belongs to nameserver.

and if you got two ip's, you can use it for shared purpose or dedicated(static)

Shared - sharing one Ip for many domains(sites)
    dedicated - assigning single (each) ip to single domain/site.

As i believe thost two ns1 nd ns2 are nameserver Ip, most probavly the ns1 will be primary nameserver and the other ns2 will be secondary purpose.

The purpose of it is, when the user try to browse your site, the site Ip address can be obtained from the nameservers. So if your primary goes down the user gets Ip address from secondary nameserver (ns2). so obivously it is like redundancy purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by daboolz
    1. I've been given 2 IP addresses by my new host. Should I make these both IP's exclusive or shared or maybe one exclusive and one shared? What's the difference? I've been told by my host that those 2 IPs are for NS1 and NS2. I want to be able to provide hosting for my clients with different domains.
    Make them both shared. Then go to DNS setup and make initial setup to have NS's pointing to ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com, this way when creating new domain you will have correct DNS setup.

Quote Originally Posted by daboolz
    3. My host has installed Plesk8 for me, does that mean apache is installed? I've been looking for the apache directory, but I can't find it. Where do you usually install apache?
    Plesk is Control Panel, thus it has own Apache (running on 8443 port). Main Apache goes with Operative System, that is why Plesk says it supports RHEL 3,4 FC 3,4 etc.

Try looking in /etc/httpd/ directory.

gl
    www.n3v.net provides affordable system administration and support to companies and individuals with dedicated and colocated servers