hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Computers and Peripherals : The most effective way to backup using two drives?

Forum Jump

The most effective way to backup using two drives?

Reply Post New Thread In Computers and Peripherals Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Master

Question

The most effective way to backup using two drives?

I installed a second hard drive today to use as a backup drive, I need to effectively backup everything on my old drive to my new drive on a regular basis. However, I understand that mirroring causes files to be deleted from the backup drive if deleted from the other drive (which is useless to me).
What software do I need and how should I go about backing up all of the data from one drive to the other on a regular basis? I want to use append mirroring rather than overwrite mirroring if that makes any sense.

Thanks,
Jord

Sponsored Links
Old
Community Liaison

* Moved to Computers...

Sirius

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

If you are on a MS environment, explore the Scheduled Tasks functionalities. You can then schedule a backup task to run daily, weekly, monthly, or at certain times (such as system startup), etc.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirius
* Moved to Computers...
Sirius
Thanks Sirius, didn't notice the new Computers forum.
I have ended up using the integrated MS Windows XP Backup utitlity, it actually seems quite functional. Thankyou.

Jord

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

You could always get a cheap RAID card and set them up in RAID 1. You can do RAID in software, but you may have problems restoring the array in the future.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusioncroc
You could always get a cheap RAID card and set them up in RAID 1. You can do RAID in software, but you may have problems restoring the array in the future.
RAID1 is not a backup, the OP said he did not want to mirror the drives.

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Old
Web Hosting Master Disaster

I would have put it the second drive in a usb case and used Acronis True Image 9.0 Home http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

They have it for windows, and linux server....

Just last night this saved me time since I did not have to install windows again (set up a dual boot for my laptop with vista)... I've used it every day for years on multiple hd usb cases... never any errors, and it works fairly fast as well, even on usb.

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trau
RAID1 is not a backup, the OP said he did not want to mirror the drives.
Sorry, I misread what he needed.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Ghost an image of it into an .iso and move it over to the other drive, perhaps?

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Symantec to Discontinue Backup Exec.Cloud; Customers Presented with Next-Step Options Web Hosting News 2013-12-03 14:49:46
VaultLogix Launches New Version of Hybrid Cloud Backup Solution Web Hosting News 2013-07-30 10:44:21
Veeam Software Launches Cloud Backup Management Suite Web Hosting News 2013-06-10 16:00:36
Malwarebytes Launches Data Scan-and-Backup Service Web Hosting News 2013-05-07 14:51:03
Sterling Data Storage Launches Three Cloud Backup Services Web Hosting News 2013-01-14 13:39:31