DNS problems with LT

Hi, I have been with LT for nearly 1 year, sometimes i can not reach my site, the dns have problems, below is the steps how i set it up before. but still got big problems.
    do you guys got any idea how to fix it, please?As i know LT doensn't have their own DNS servers.

my name server is : ns1.ukstudynet.com and ns2.ukstudynet.com
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    How-to guide on how to set up DNS on Cpanel.

RESOLUTION:
    This guide will show you the ropes in how to setup cpanel nameservers and
    configure them properly so you can run ns1 and ns2.yoursite.com. Once your
    nameservers are setup clients can then use your own private nameservers for
    their domains.

1. Register your domain
    Register the domain name you would like to use. This domain will be used as your
    nameservers - eg ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com

2. Additional IPs
    Have 2 available IP addresses for your server that aren't in use. You will need
    to contact you provider to obtain these IP addreses.

3. Registering the Nameservers?
    Now login to your domain management page for the domain you registered and
    register ns1.newdomain.com and ns2.newdomain.com as nameservers (registries
    normally have a special facility for doing that). The registry may also have a
    facility to propogate these nameservers around the foreign registries - if so,
    you should use this facility.

These registrations may take a few days to propagate (often as many as 3 days).

4. Reverse DNS
    You may also need to get your data centre to enter a reverse DNS pointer for
    your nameservers. You'll need to let them know each nameserver and its IP
    address. Sometimes you can suffer non-delivery of mail if you don't so this.
    Reverse DNS pointers can take a while to propagate.
    Setup a reverse on the IP address for your domain

5. Broken NDC/BIND
    My version of WHM/CPanel came with a broken NDC. To fix this:

SSH into your box as root.

(a) Type: cd /scripts
    (b) Type: ./updatenow
    (c) Type: ./fixndc

Go back into WHM, go to the Restart Services section in the left menu and click
    DNS/Nameserver (BIND).

You will need to do this if you start getting 'ndc' errors when you are doing
    anything DNS related in WHM.

6. Setup Nameservers In WHM
    Go into WHM (Web Host Manager) and select Edit Setup from the Server Setup menu
    on the left. Enter ns1.newdomain.com in the Primary Nameserver field. Hit
    'Assign IP Address', then hit 'Add an A Entry for this nameserver'.
    Repeat this process for the Secondary Nameserver field.

7. Tidy Up Junk Nameservers
    Go into WHM (Web Host Manager) and select Manage Nameserver IPs from the Server
    Setup menu on the left. Remove any nameservers you don't recognise. This is just
    a tidy up exercise in case anyone's set anything up on the box before you.

8. Initial Nameserver Setup
    Go into WHM (Web Host Manager) and select Initial NameServer Setup from the
    Server Setup menu on the left. Run this.

9. Restart BIND
    Restart BIND (step 7 restarts BIND, but we've known it to need a proper stop and
    start for it to work) from SSH with:

service named stop
    service named start

10. Manual Checks
    I don't know what it is about this process, but it doesn't always work, so there
    are some things you can check manually via SSH.

/etc/wwwacct.conf
    Check that the nameservers are correctly specified on NS, NS2 etc.
    EG: scroll to the name servers section.....
    NS ns1.yournameserver.com
    NS2 ns2.yournameserver.com

/etc/resolv.conf
    Check that there are nameserver entries for each IP. There may also be one for
    127.0.0.1 - this is okay. I'm led to believe (by the 'man' entry for
    resolv.conf) that this isn't a particularly important file, but I changed mine
    to read:

domain mybox.com
    search mybox.com
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver 111.111.111.111
    nameserver 222.222.222.222

Where 'mybox.com' is the main domain of my server, and '111.111.111.111' and
    '222.222.222.222' are the IP addresses of my primary and secondary nameservers.

resolv.conf is used to lookup names that are not in FQDN format.

/etc/nameserverips
    Check that there are entries for each IP acting as a nameserver.
    EG:
    IPHERE=ns1.yournameserver.com
    IPHERE=ns2.yournameserver.com

Was posting all that really necessary.

Anyway, what problems specifically are you having? LT does have their own nameservers but how does that pertain to the problem you are alledging you have?
    josh

After quickly skimming your post, you haven't said what your problem is other than they are "big problems"--please don't expect us to do all the diagnosis work for you.

Also, what does this have to do with Layeredtech?

the problem is sometime i can not view my site. sorry for my poor English

Contact LT and ask for some help? They are always willing to lend a hand if you are polite and humble.
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

Quote Originally Posted by skyaus
    the problem is sometime i can not view my site. sorry for my poor English
    But do others have same problem and do you ping it at that time from some other server /services like siteuptime or others?
    12+ years -same website , new server [SSD Inside] providing shared/reseller hosting only !
    These things we do not provide/offer : Unlimited Storage ! Unlimited Bandwidth ! But Why? Cause, we were unable to put such a large number on our pages, it just would not fit.
    So check out the numbers that actually fit >> << the page as well as your budget too !

Quote Originally Posted by PixelManual
    Contact LT and ask for some help? They are always willing to lend a hand if you are polite and humble.
    DNS setup and troubleshooting are beyond the normal scope of LT support.

Quote Originally Posted by paidhosting
    But do others have same problem and do you ping it at that time from some other server /services like siteuptime or others?
    all the people are having the same problems. I think i should move my server to LT's Databank server.

As said above, Layered Tech does have their own nameservers. Look in the LT forums for the proper info to put in your /etc/resolv.conf

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

Wherever you go, if you have problem with registrar or if you do not know how to configure your server, you will still experience this problem.

There are so many reasons why you can't browse your site sometime and this has something to do with your server config.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Quote Originally Posted by bithost(NET)
    As said above, Layered Tech does have their own nameservers. Look in the LT forums for the proper info to put in your /etc/resolv.conf

Bailey
    no, LT doesn't have their own nameservers.

What makes you think "all the people" are having trouble with LayeredTech DNS?

My two servers are fine. Of course, I'm running my own DNS servers, though.

But since you think they don't have their own servers, you must be running your own as well. How you think problems on your server reflects on LayeredTech I don't follow.

You haven't told us the domain name, or described the precise problem you're having. If you at least give us the domain, we can run dnsreport.com on it, etc.

In case it's ukstudynet.com, you haven't told your registrar the IP addresses to go with your nameserver hostnames (known as glue records). http://dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport...ukstudynet.com

Fix that, and things should get much better.
    Specializing in MySQL and website tuning for high traffic sites. cmwsci.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sailorFred
    What makes you think "all the people" are having trouble with LayeredTech DNS?

My two servers are fine. Of course, I'm running my own DNS servers, though.

But since you think they don't have their own servers, you must be running your own as well. How you think problems on your server reflects on LayeredTech I don't follow.

You haven't told us the domain name, or described the precise problem you're having. If you at least give us the domain, we can run dnsreport.com on it, etc.

In case it's ukstudynet.com, you haven't told your registrar the IP addresses to go with your nameserver hostnames (known as glue records). http://dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport...ukstudynet.com

Fix that, and things should get much better.
    thanks. my domain name is www.ukstudynet.com and www.ozchinese.com

how do you fix that, please?

ok, here is the problems. how do you fix it, please?

No NS A records at nameservers

Nameserver 72.232.44.187 did not provide any IPs
    Nameserver 72.232.44.188 did not provide any IPs

Here are in details
    1) Categoy: NS
    Test Name: Open DNS servers
    Information:
    ERROR: One or more of your nameservers reports that it is an open DNS server. This usually means that anyone in the world can query it for domains it is not authoritative for (it is possible that the DNS server advertises that it does recursive lookups when it does not, but that shouldn't happen). This can cause an excessive load on your DNS server. Also, it is strongly discouraged to have a DNS server be both authoritative for your domain and be recursive (even if it is not open), due to the potential for cache poisoning (with no recursion, there is no cache, and it is impossible to poison it). Also, the bad guys could use your DNS server as part of an attack, by forging their IP address. Problem record(s) are:
    Server 72.232.44.187 reports that it will do recursive lookups. [test]
    Server 72.232.44.188 reports that it will do recursive lookups. [test]

See this page for info on closing open DNS servers.

add a A record in your zone that correspond to those NS

Quote Originally Posted by lonea
    add a A record in your zone that correspond to those NS
    i got cpanel installed, where can i do it, please?

---------------------------

i have fixed recursive lookups possible

Add this to the named.conf:
    recursion no;

In WHM=>DNS Functions=>Edit DNS Zone=>ukstudynet.com

Make two new entries, ns1 and ns2 with the 72.232.44.187 and 72.232.44.188 addresses.

Then go to GoDaddy and enter your IP addresses along with the nameserver names. This step will supply the glue records which are still necessary.

In WHM=>DNS Functions=>Edit DNS Zone=>ukstudynet.com

Make two new entries, ns1 and ns2 with the 72.232.44.187 and 72.232.44.188 addresses.

Then go to GoDaddy and enter your IP addresses along with the nameserver names. This step will supply the glue records which are still necessary.
    this already done before.

Dnsreport looks clean now. You shouldn't see these problems unless something is caching the negative result. Even that should clear up within a couple of days.

Congratulations.

Dnsreport looks clean now. You shouldn't see these problems unless something is caching the negative result. Even that should clear up within a couple of days.

Congratulations.
    Thank you very much

Yes, LayeredTech DOES have their own nameservers. I know, because we're using them on all of our servers with them.

Note this is separate from setting up basic DNS on your server. Layered Tech's nameservers get put in /etc/resolv.conf. Your own nameservers for domain name resolution goes in a different place -- is what you set up above, in WHM.

I also recommend getting an account with PlatinumServerManagement. For just $29/month they specialize in running cPanel servers and can act as your server administrator. They will do server management things for you, or they are happy to teach you how to do things.

http://www.platinumservermanagement.com

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.