Can USB 1 charge?

Alright.
    I needed to transfer some files from one PC to another, so I asked a friend of mine to give me his mp3 Player (Rio Carbon Pearl 6GB MP3 Player) to do it.
    I had it connected to my Linux driven PC all night, and at some point it turned off and was I was unable to turn it on again.
    So, my questino is: what could be the reason? Is it possible that a USB 1.1 port (which I have) is unable to charge it?
    I know it does charge from USB but no details as to if it's only USB 2.0

Could it be USB 1? Or if not, what else might have happened?
    Thanks in advance.

USB 1 can charge devices, however, I have always been a little worried at how many USB devices with internal charging circuits just stop working with no reason. My SPV500 cell phone charges from the USB port, one day its working, the next its not (its hardly ever used).

* Moved to Computers...

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Your welcome guide to Trinity Florida located just north of the Tampa and St Petersburg / Clearwater Beaches!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Northern
    Alright.
    I needed to transfer some files from one PC to another, so I asked a friend of mine to give me his mp3 Player (Rio Carbon Pearl 6GB MP3 Player) to do it.
    I had it connected to my Linux driven PC all night, and at some point it turned off and was I was unable to turn it on again.
    So, my questino is: what could be the reason? Is it possible that a USB 1.1 port (which I have) is unable to charge it?
    I know it does charge from USB but no details as to if it's only USB 2.0

Could it be USB 1? Or if not, what else might have happened?
    Thanks in advance.
    It doesn't matter what type or version of your USB is. Even it is a USB 1.0, it is still be able to charge. But in some cases, it might be due to your USB port device problem. Have you try plug other USB device(mouse) on the USB port, and is the USB device(mouse) working? For normal OS like Window XP, if you plug in a USB2.0 device, it would only show a popup on the lower bottom right side mentioning "A usb 2.0 plug in your USB 1.0 port, it will work best on USB 2.0" but it still can be use.

How many USB port are there on your PC? Linux OS normally use generic drivers or others.

5. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!