hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Computers and Peripherals : A firefox os?

Forum Jump

A firefox os?

Reply Post New Thread In Computers and Peripherals Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Away

A firefox os?

Sponsored Links
Old
Disabled

Really now, is this necessary? Firefox is a browser. Do we want the people who can't create a memory-lite browser developing a kernel?

They could probably make their own linux distribution, running the same old linux kernel, or possibly something based off freebsd, but come on now... Last year we were all sitting pretty for googleOS, and that was never released to the public. Can we just stick to windows, One of the ten thousand linux distributions, or free/open/net/dragonfire/ObsecureFifthVersionBSD ?

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ub3r
Really now, is this necessary? Firefox is a browser. Do we want the people who can't create a memory-lite browser developing a kernel?
bit of a big jump from writing something that parses a basic text from a webserver, and writing a kernel...

Quote:
They could probably make their own linux distribution, running the same old linux kernel, or possibly something based off freebsd, but come on now... Last year we were all sitting pretty for googleOS, and that was never released to the public. Can we just stick to windows, One of the ten thousand linux distributions, or free/open/net/dragonfire/ObsecureFifthVersionBSD ?
agreed - its gonna take something *very* special to get more than 1% of the marketshare, and they'd be better spending their time either adding to or modifying something they already like (eg a linux kernel) and adding their own tools. what this usually comes down to (read: most new linux distros) is a slightly different (but under the hood exactly the same) installation tool, maybe a few different directories, a possibly customised window manager and perhaps some slightly different packages to other distros (but the combinations must be running out by now)

no new distro (even the current favourite ubuntu) has done anything *that* different in a long time

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Firefox is a browser, at this point it most likely woulden't go very well if they tried to style an OS around the setup of a browser.

They should put more work into Firefox or create other Firefox / Thunderbird style applications before even considering an OS.

Old
Web Hosting Master

agreed - they also dont have the name (like google does) to be able to come up with a new application in a totally different genre to their current software, and have it become instantly popular regardless of what it does or how good it is (and most alpha/beta/first version softwares need a lot of work)

Old
Web Hosting Master

If this really comes true, I am ready to buy a HDD to install this...

Old
Web Hosting Master

I agree with Tee and Mike- there is no need for this and it is most likely a waste of time (in my opinion)

Old
Web Hosting Master Disaster

Linux, bsd, etc wrapped in another name.... perfect.

Then again, maybe they will acutally do something great. Heck, OS X is what part of darwin(bsd?), linux and other things.... os x is very nice.

Just think if you were to get all the other OS people out there and push behind one OS (instead of taking it and building off it, they would work together). Just think about what could be done.... it could be amazing.

Last edited by hekwu; 07-06-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old
Community Guide

Here's an OS you can access with Firefox:

www.youos.com

Old

Firefox is pretty cool as a browser, I don't know about an OS though

Old
Web Hosting Master

Sounds a bit unnecessary to me

Old
Web Hosting Master

If I was part of the team, I'll concentrate on improving the browser, maybe fix its high memory usage problem..

Peace,

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

Quote:
If I was part of the team, I'll concentrate on improving the browser, maybe fix its high memory usage problem..
I agree. I used firefox for nearly two years, but recently got rid of it after it started to take 2 minutes to load. I use opera now, and web sites load faster (except WHT!) than they did on Firefox.

If they fixed that problem in a new version, I *might* consider switching back...

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Like everyone else... its not needed... if it had been 10 years ago, then they might have had a chance... now... I highly doubt that they'll make anything off of it if they do make it. They can't charge money for it, or people will just stick to the microsoft that comes preloaded or linux... and honestly... its going to be buggy for the first few months at minimum.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Wait, writing a successful browser is one thing, writing a successful OS is an entirely different thing. Don't even see the connection.

Besides, many people are just lulled into believing the fact that FF is a great browser, cause everyone knows Opera is just better.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
The Pirate Bay Switches to .AC ccTLD Following Domain Seizure, Pressure from Dutch Anti-Piracy Group Web Hosting News 2013-12-13 11:21:23
The Pirate Bay Helps Users Circumvent Censorship with New PirateBrowser Web Hosting News 2013-08-12 14:23:13
Phishing Attack Hosted on Malaysian Police Site with SSL Certificate Web Hosting News 2013-06-06 15:54:43
Mozilla Firefox 23 Will Block Mix SSL Content by Default Web Hosting News 2013-04-12 11:39:07
Mega Firefox Extension Speeds Up Downloads, Removes File Size Limits Web Hosting News 2014-05-01 08:22:29