hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : How to focus?

Forum Jump

How to focus?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2006, 03:18 AM
Web Hosting Master

How to focus?

What do you do when you have one of those days when you just can concentrate? I've got a load of work to get done but keep finding reasons to avoid it and do something else. Anyone got clues of how to bring myself back inline as its getting quite annoying just seeing things backup

Rus

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2006, 03:26 AM
Disabled

Go see a psychologist and get diagnosed for ADD/ADHD. He'll give you some drugs, and you'll get to be smart.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:28 AM
Web Hosting Master

Tell me about it. I have this problem! find a solution i will pay hard cash for it

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2006, 03:38 AM
Web Hosting Master

Coffee isn't working and I'm not taking drugs for something that effects me occasionally. Prehaps I just need more sleep

Old 07-05-2006, 03:42 AM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by a2b2
Prehaps I just need more sleep
I used to hate sleeping when I was a kid; thought it was such as waste of time.

Boy, do I take that back!

Old 07-05-2006, 03:53 AM
Web Hosting Master

Sleep. I hardly ever sleep, to much work to do to sleep. Maybe i should try that.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:14 AM
Superhero

Stress is your worst enemy.

Take up meditation. It clears the mind and allows you to focus on what matters most. Stress will cause the mind to go chaotic as well, which will also shorten your lifespan. Address the issues causing it and you'll be able to concentrate on what matters most while living a healthier life.

Ditch the coffee, it only makes things worse. Take up herbal teas such as green tea, a much better substitute for coffee. It has 1/4-1/3 the caffeine of coffee with no negative side effects, relaxes you, and is a medicine for the entire body. It will actually help prevent illness.

Lack of sleep can also play a large factor as well. If you're not allowing your body to get enough rest, you're causing additional stress which isn't healthy.

I could get in to physical exercise as well, but I don't really know how active you are. Exercising will actually relax you and allow you to concentrate better.

I'm a health freak. I do all of the above and have never been as laid back, stress free, and happy with my life as I am now.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:18 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amdac

Ditch the coffee, it only makes things worse. Take up herbal teas such as green tea, a much better substitute for coffee. It has 1/4-1/3 the caffeine of coffee with no negative side effects, relaxes you, and is a medicine for the entire body. It will actually help prevent illness.
Thats intresting, Il give that a go.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:23 AM
Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkom
Thats intresting, Il give that a go.
It actually helps cure and prevent many diseases and illnesses such as cancer, blood clots, strokes, heart diseases, tumors, high cholesterol, blood sugar levels, tooth decay, depression, headaches, obesity, etc. The list is incredibly long.

There's a good article here if you'd like to learn a bit more about some of the health benefits: http://chinesefood.about.com/library.../aa011400a.htm

Slapping "green tea" in google will give you many more, I've spent hours researching it which is why I decided to make it a part of my daily life.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:28 AM
Web Hosting Master

hehe. i have always jumped to coffiee when it comes to falling asleep at work. Il have to spend a few hours of company time doing research into this

Old 07-05-2006, 04:52 AM

Create a distraction and then purposely ignore it. This is what i tend to do. I work in an office with lots of people, i just ignore all the voices around me.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Web Hosting Master

To concentrate you start doing your work and get far with it. Once you've gone far with the work you can't stop doing it because you've gone too far.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Web Hosting Master

Well if you're into playing games for example, promise yourself a massive gaming session after you've finished your task = perfect motivation

Old 07-05-2006, 04:57 PM
PHP for breakfast

Russ,

This is what I do.

I leave the house. I bug out. I get out and have some fun. Go play games at the arcade, go grabs something to eat with friends, go people-watch at the mall... stimulate my mind with something totally unrelated to work.

It's good to work, and it's good to be serious, but it's also good to remember to PLAY just as hard as you WORK. It keeps you from burning out. I spent the last month or so working on code almost every single day, partially wrote 2-3 sites, worked on plans for 3-4 more. What have I done this month? Well, I've read two-three books, spent time with friends... it's burnout prevention.

While I feel bad letting some things that need to get done, not get done, I also know there's a reason I can't focus. Forcing it gets things done, but they're never as good as when you're 'into it'. Take a day to totally kick back. I'm not talking like go do what others want you to do, I'm talking go do what YOU want to do, even if that's absolutely nothing. Go do it. Get away from the comp.