hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Computers and Peripherals : Format as FAT32

Forum Jump

Format as FAT32

Reply Post New Thread In Computers and Peripherals Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2006, 04:44 AM

Format as FAT32

I have a spare seagate hard drive (80gig), and decided to buy an enclosure for it to use it externally. Before I did so, I wanted to format the drive. However, in Windows when I choose to format the drive, it only gives me the option to format it as NTFS. Currently the filesystem on all my hard drives are FAT32, but for some reason, just this one hard drive, it won't let me reformat using FAT32, but only NTFS.

For the other hard drives, it lets me format with either FAT32 or NTFS..

Anyone have any ideas how to format this drive using FAT32?

Thanks in advance..

Reliable Sales/Billing/Tech End-user Support - We can provide support to your customers!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2006, 05:02 AM
Web Hosting Master

How about a Dos boot disk?

Or if you have a bootable linux cd try using that.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Web Hosting Master

Your partition is too big, the XP format only supports FAT32 in partitions up to 32GB. So your choices are to partition up the 80GB drive and use XP's format to create the FAT32 file system, or use a third party program to create a larger FAT32 partition such as Partition Magic, Acronis Disk Director, or Ranish Partition Manager (free).

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2006, 01:42 PM
Community Liaison 2.0

http://www.petri.co.il/install_windo...partitions.htm. This page has a utility that should help. You can make the partition bigger than 32Gb, but you'll lose even more space from the larger block size, so I'd stick with 32Gb or smaller.

A serial entrepreneur is someone who effectively manages startups within their means to manage them, not someone who runs 30 different business ideas at once hoping one works. If I wanted to hire someone to throw things at a wall to see what sticks, I'd hire a two year old.

Old 07-04-2006, 03:05 PM
Web Hosting Master

I highly reccommend a program called BootIt, run the program and it installs onto a floppy disk. Boot from the disk, and it allows you to do all sorts to your Hard Drives. You can partition and format and nearly every kind of format. I've been using it for years and its great.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Wireless Symposium 2013 Web Hosting Events 2012-12-05 13:41:13
Rackwise Releases Intel Integrated Data Center Infrastructure Manager Web Hosting News 2012-06-25 13:25:58
$5 Million Class Action Suit Filed Against LinkedIn Over Security Breach Web Hosting News 2012-06-20 11:38:04
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup – May 25, 2012 Web Hosting News 2012-05-25 16:52:12
2012 WHIR Reader Survey Extended - take a few minutes to complete and win Blog 2012-04-30 11:14:58