hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Managed Hosting and Services : PSM don't know how to upgrade Kernel
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

PSM don't know how to upgrade Kernel

Closed Thread Post New Thread In Managed Hosting and Services Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2006, 07:30 PM
WHT Addict

I have a ticket put on hold there for more than a WEEK. I even re-issue a new ticket to remind them. Answer is always "we are looking into it...etc"

I guess it is pretty much "you get what you pay for then...?"

Server is CentOS 4.3 with Cpanel, pretty standard

Last edited by IKillBill; 07-03-2006 at 07:34 PM.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2006, 07:45 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

I am certain that they do know how to upgrade the kernel mate There is a few things to take into mind if you are an admin and are upgrading a kernel for someone.

As for the ticket being on hold i don't know, might be busy?

Old 07-04-2006, 09:49 PM
WHT Addict

still no reply

I will see how long they are going to take
maybe more than 30 days to upgrade kernel?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Retired Moderator

Were you looking for anything special with the upgraded kernel? (custom modules or anything of the sort)

Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Old 07-05-2006, 02:05 AM
WHT Addict

in the lattest ticket, I put

"just upgarde me to secure and stable version of kernel"

Old 07-05-2006, 02:28 AM
Local tech for Los Angeles

I wouldn't complain much since you need help with it, if they mess up its on them not you and you will most likely blame them and open a new thread about it.

Maybe there just plain busy.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

Old 07-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

They normally send you a notice for kernal upgrades that you have to agree to before they start your kernal upgrade. Did they send that to you?

Regards

Old 07-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Platinum quality

IKillBill,

Kernel upgrades are not simple tasks, some go smoothly, some don't. Anyone that has ever upgraded a kernel would agree.

If it has been a week since it was requested, then we must have run into a problem with your upgrade. That doesn't mean we don't know how to upgrade kernel.

It's pretty absurd for you to make such a blanket statement that we don't know how to upgrade kernel after only 1 request on 1 server.

You could've simply contacted our 'Feedback' department to address your concern, that would've been the professional thing to do. I take great offense to the fact that you ran to the forums to complain at the first chance you get, this clearly shows the type of person you are. I don't know what your username is, but I know as a fact you did not contact our Feedback department, because there are no tickets to that department regarding a kernel upgrade problem within the past 2 weeks, so you made absolutely no attempt discuss your satisfaction with us directly.

If you asked for a status to our 'support' department, then a technician would've replied, not a quality assurance supervisor. It only makes sense that if you are not satisfied, that you should open a ticket to our Feedback department.

So if our support department said we're working on it, then rest assured that we are either researching it, testing in house, or debugging it. I don't know which ticket is yours, if you would like to PM me the ticket number, I'd be more than glad to see what is going on with it.

Thank you,
Ethan

www.PlatinumServerManagement.com Proud member of the NJ BBB & Chamber of Commerce, and Authorized Cpanel Partner.

Last edited by ServerManagement; 07-05-2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:07 PM
Web Hosting Master

Wow. that was certainly an unprofessional reply

Old 07-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServerManagement
IKillBill,

Kernel upgrades are not simple tasks, some go smoothly, some don't. Anyone that has ever upgraded a kernel would agree.

If it has been a week since it was requested, then we must have run into a problem with your upgrade. That doesn't mean we don't know how to upgrade kernel.

It's pretty absurd for you to make such a blanket statement that we don't know how to upgrade kernel after only 1 request on 1 server.

You could've simply contacted our 'Feedback' department to address your concern, that would've been the professional thing to do. I take great offense to the fact that you ran to the forums to complain at the first chance you get, this clearly shows the type of person you are. I don't know what your username is, but I know as a fact you did not contact our Feedback department, because there are no tickets to that department regarding a kernel upgrade problem within the past 2 weeks, so you made absolutely no attempt discuss your satisfaction with us directly.

If you asked for a status to our 'support' department, then a technician would've replied, not a quality assurance supervisor. It only makes sense that if you are not satisfied, that you should open a ticket to our Feedback department.

So if our support department said we're working on it, then rest assured that we are either researching it, testing in house, or debugging it. I don't know which ticket is yours, if you would like to PM me the ticket number, I'd be more than glad to see what is going on with it.

Thank you,
Ethan

Quote:
If you do enough of them you should not have any problems, or keep up with changes in the kernel. For example the mpt drivers got split off etc.. causing lots of problems for people that did not know that. A kernel is a pretty simple task to most higher level (such as yourself) server administrators and one that has upgraded a kernel should agree.

Old 07-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-places
Wow. that was certainly an unprofessional reply
Wow! after the initial poster, I think it was quite tame!

Old 07-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Retired Moderator

It came off to be a bit in bad taste as well. If I was the OP I would have contacted the support desk and not the feedback desk to ask for an update on my current work order. The feedback section would only have been contacted after everything was sorted out.

Problems most certainly do happen but a simple reply to the user's ticket with what the issue was and what they were doing to correct it (moving the kernel upgrade to a higher member in the company or something of the sort) would have saved this thread from being created.

Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Old 07-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Engineer

Ethan all your replys on WHT are always very agressive and the majority of them attack the customer for petty reasons.

Do you honestly think 1 week for a kernel upgrade is acceptable? What problems did you have? Why wasn't the customer informed of those problems? I'd personally love to hear what excuse you have for taking 1 week to compile a kernel.

-Scott

Old 07-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Web Hosting Guru

I had bad experience with PSM about kernel upgrade also,my server can not boot after upgrade,they tried twice and i had to call DC twice to boot server with old working Kernel.Although they noticed me that it may fail but still feel disappointed

Old 07-06-2006, 12:01 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRWH
Wow! after the initial poster, I think it was quite tame!
Yeah I understand what you mean. But I'm looking at this from a business perspective. Customers are going to be pissed. That's a fact of life. IT happens. The way it's handled by the host is what matters. They should have plenty of experience handling issues and know better than to strike back like that.

It's not a big deal to me and I don't know anything about the company. Just noticed that post and thought I'd respond.

Last edited by fastnoc; 07-06-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Closed Thread

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Linux Kernel 3.10 Sees Most Developer Contributions Ever Web Hosting News 2013-09-16 13:17:24
Canadian Web Hosting Improves SSD Caching for Shared Hosting Servers Web Hosting News 2013-09-04 13:47:24
UK Tech Blog Challenges CloudFlare, Web Hosts on Free Speech Blog 2013-08-12 10:32:52
Web Host Hostway Offers Compliant Ready Upgrade for Hosted Exchange Web Hosting News 2012-07-30 14:26:14
Web Host UnitedLayer Upgrades Data Center in San Francisco Web Hosting News 2012-06-04 16:03:57