Starting an online store?

ok... I'm new at ecommerce but want to build an online store... what is needed to build it and run it? I have an SSL Cert. and the domains I'm shopping for hosting but again need more info. I know that some of you are already established and maybe in this area or maybe you have an online store so examples would be helpful...

thanks a ton guys...

First of all you need something to sell! Is this an extension to your current business?

For someone just starting off, I would recommend looking at Yahoo Storefront. They give you a good start, excellant hosting and site building tools that will help you build your store.

<<Signature to be setup in your profile>>
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 07-04-2006 at 01:33 AM.

i'm not totally oblivious about ecommerce and the fact that you need a product to sell. It would be an online store dedicated to a specific nitche.

but thanks for your input...

Hi,

You will need shopping cart software to create online catalog, merchant account (or payment gateway) to collect money, tracking tools to analyze traffic and visitor behaviours.

awesome... thanks SteveIrw... any suggestions of who to go through?

Keep in mind that there are free shopping carts available (oscommerce for instance) that can save you some money and work great. You can also integrate the cart into html pages if you only have a few products to sell. Yahoo is ok but I think they're a bit pricey. Many cc processors post on these forums so you might want to look around here for the processor/gateway. And don't forget to post some items on E-Bay.
    Paul, MCP SBS
    100% Windows 2003 Hosting
    http://www.jabezhosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Turkizm89
    i'm not totally oblivious about ecommerce and the fact that you need a product to sell. It would be an online store dedicated to a specific nitche.
    What niche are you trying to fill? Are you in the U.S. ?

If you are just wanting to test the proverbial waters and see if you can make something of the site, then you may want to sign up for a Paypal account, a cart, and see if anyone is interested in your product line.

man you guys are awesome... seriously... well this is what i'm considering at the moment:

oscommerce - Cart and storefront

Green Leaf Hosting - for ecommerce hosting ( 20-Product Catalog • 50 MB Disk Space • 1 GB Bandwidth • FREE! $25 Google AdWords™ Credit, sell through Froogle, ebay and marketplace link; accept paypal & cc's; Offers usps and UPS)

2checkout.com

an SSL certificate
    ---

am i missing anything? suggestions are also welcomed.

yeah I am in the US... product line furniture, I would like to offer paypal, and a secure payment processing like 2checkout or verisign, not too sure if I need oscommerce or an ecommerce host that offers what i previously typed... hmmm...

Since you are going to offer paypal, you can look for paypal shopping cart as well.

yeah i hear paypal isn't that good to use with an online store as 4% online users use paypa where 90% online auction purchasers use paypal. So i would take a hit depending on Paypal payments instead of setting up a cart to take cc's...

I'm lost again... I'm playing with oscommerce and then someone mentioned zencart and i'm still out of it... I want a simple site with a simple cart and hosting... any suggestions...

I think i'm just going to go with Mal's ecommerce and bluepay or authorize.net

Before selecting shopping cart software /system you should take a step back and plan out the site. For example, what about SE? A lot of the shopping carts are not search engine friendly. You don't want to waste a lot of time setting up a site to find out that the search engines will stutter on it.

IMHO, for open source go ZenCart (lot's of SEF friendly contributions, it is not perfect but it is better than the rest).

Miva Merchant 5, I love this new version of Miva, and there is tons of support and additional modules that you can buy. Look for a host that offers it as part of the hosting package and then you won't need to pay for it.

Be weary of any proprietary shopping carts, be sure to ask a lot of questions and ask how they fair with the search engines.

Just my 2 cents.

what do you guys think of Mal's ecommerce?

has anyone used Mal's ecommerce with oscommerce?