Unhappy Spam E-Mail Help?

Hi, I can't think of anywhere else to put this.

I don't really use the e-mail on my domain much, but I sent myself a test e-mail the other day to my hotmail inbox and noticed that it went straight to my Junk Folder.

This has happened before, but I didn't really give it much thought. So I went to www.dnsstuff.com and put my IP into the Spam Database Lookup, and it yielded the following results:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/ip4r.ch?ip=70.87.81.162

For the record, i'm with HostGator.

It seems my IP is listed with FIVETENIGNORE, i'm not 100% sure on how this works but I think basically what happened was someone in the past has been spamming inbox's from the IP I use, and the host back then refused to do anything about and hence now the IP is blacklisted. I don't know if this is the reason why my e-mails are going Hotmails Junk Mail, or is there something else? BTW, my test e-mail didn't have any spam or advertisement like characteristics, it was just some simple text.

I've looked to see if theres an appeal area to get this IP taken down but I can't see anything. Should I complain to HostGator, or should I complain the FIVETENIGNORE? I'm completely unexperienced with this so any help would be good.

Thanks,

Daniel.

I'd send an email or open a ticket with hostgator asking them to get the IP removed from the list. They are probably more experienced with this and would get it figured out quickly.

Was the email you sent to yourself just a normal email or was it through a form?
    Greg Lubbelinkhof

FIVETENIGNORE is a private list and should not be used, this is even listed directly below it. He has listed every IP he knows of under The Planet/Servermatrix and there is absolutely no way you will get them removed.

It might sound harsh, but any admin using that list to filter mail hasn't got a clue as they are blocking half the Internet. He blocks full ISP ranges because of isolated incidents.

The IP you provided is not listed in any of the RBLs that servers will use.

Quote Originally Posted by FLH-Wullie
    It might sound harsh, but any admin using that list to filter mail hasn't got a clue as they are blocking half the Internet.
    That's not harsh at all. It's simple truth.

Daniel,

While I would highly doubt HostGator directly utilizes FIVETEN, they might have it included as part of a larger spam rating system or it might have nothing at all to do with why your mail gets misclassified. Ask Hostgator to explain their spam rating system to you and show you how to customize it to your needs. Any reasonably modern mail system should have ways for individual customers to be excluded from some or all spam prevention measures.

[edit]
    Sorry, I misread the post

Read up on Hotmail's spam filtering and do a few things:

1) What Wullie suggests below: SPF record for your domain.
    2) Customize your hotmail spam filters with "Enhanced" options.
    [/edit]
    Last edited by SROHost; 06-30-2006 at 10:33 AM.
    http://www.srohosting.com
    Stability, redundancy and peace of mind

It may just be hotmail them selves, on my yahoo account a lot of emails go to my spam folder, from health organizations to corporate businesses to small businesses, etc... all though i know none of them participate in spamming, a lot of lists do tend to block whole IP ranges at a time..
    Run with it.

Another thing to do is make sure you have a valid SPF record setup on the domain and that the Hostgator servers are listed in it.