hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Computers and Peripherals : Windows Vista..

Forum Jump

Windows Vista..

Reply Post New Thread In Computers and Peripherals Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
WHT Addict

Windows Vista..

Anyone using it yet? Im thinking about buying a formatted laptop for work and getting a copy of the "ultimate" or "business" edition..

Sponsored Links
Old
Aspiring Evangelist

It's currently still in beta

Old
Web Hosting Master

Yeah it's still in Beta but you can get the different editions (Business, Ultimate) betas, at least I think so. I used it for a little while but to be honest it truly is a hog. Unless it's a brand new laptop with the latest gear it wont handle great.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Guru

Do notebooks even support the Windows Vista graphics driver necessary to run Aero?

If you buy a notebook now, you are probably going to be able to use only classic or standard, and none of the so-called 3D effects. Am i wrong?

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

I would not recommend using it as your live OS yet. Remember it's still only a beta and there could be bugs.. errors and it's a total resource hog. If previous microsoft products are anything to go by if I was you I would wait for the final, stable release version .

-- Matt

Old
WHT Addict

Oh so it is a resource hog, and Its supposed to be easier on resources then XP.. haha figures microsoft.

Well i was going to get a formatted alienwares and its vista ready so... ill probably put that off for a few months.

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

Yeh, I would recommend you use it when it's stable. It's looking good though .

Old
WHT Addict

From what i see on their website, the sidebar looks similar to RedHat's GUI sidebar system..

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Oh so it is a resource hog, and Its supposed to be easier on resources then XP.. haha figures microsoft.
It is in Beta. Resource hog is expected of beta.

Also, look at the specs required to run Vista compared to those required to run XP, tell me you expect Vista to use less resources...

Another thing to note is that Windows won't release an upgrade to the full version from a beta version. The only way you can get a full version is to reformat your computer and reinstall everything again...

Old
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak
It is in Beta. Resource hog is expected of beta.

Also, look at the specs required to run Vista compared to those required to run XP, tell me you expect Vista to use less resources...

Another thing to note is that Windows won't release an upgrade to the full version from a beta version. The only way you can get a full version is to reformat your computer and reinstall everything again...
Well i was speaking in respects to say compare how windows xp manages its usage of resources to how vista is supposed to. I would hope that future operating systems actually use the 1GB of RAM, and 3ghz processors that we see today, else whats the point of spending the money on them if its not being put to good use?

Old
Community Liaison 2.0

I have been using it since December as the only OS on my laptop. I'm a tester so I get the updated monthly builds, too. So far I don't have any real regrets.

I'd suggest that your laptop have a 7200RPM drive, 1Gig of RAM, and for visual effects a DX9 certified card. But unless you game only the first two are important. The slower hard drives are murder in Vista.

A serial entrepreneur is someone who effectively manages startups within their means to manage them, not someone who runs 30 different business ideas at once hoping one works. If I wanted to hire someone to throw things at a wall to see what sticks, I'd hire a two year old.

Old
WHT Addict

Yeah im thinking about a AMD 64, are you running AMD or Intel?

Old
Community Liaison 2.0

Intel 32-bit platform. (1.8Ghz Pentium M processor). Performance is just fine for my purposes and my DX9 certified Radeon X300 works Ok for basic gaming and the Aero desktop. If you have "on-board" graphics that share video memory with your system memory, you won't be able to use the Aero interface. But you won't be missing a whole lot other than being able to Ooooo and Ahhh some people.

A serial entrepreneur is someone who effectively manages startups within their means to manage them, not someone who runs 30 different business ideas at once hoping one works. If I wanted to hire someone to throw things at a wall to see what sticks, I'd hire a two year old.

Old
Web Hosting Master

I've been bashing around with Beta 2 for a while now, and I don't like it. Obviously it looks pretty, but its not very stable, its a drain on resources and to be perfectly honest I dont see any significant changes. Obviously theres the whole security thing, but tbh you can get anti-virus software that does that same job already...

Old
Web Hosting Guru

The latest build, build 5456 works great! Much faster than Beta 2. I'm using it as my main OS since monday and I didn't have any serious problems yet. Just a few minor bugs which I can live with.

NEW:
Pure SSD Hosting and CloudFlare Railgun™

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
DTS-NET.COM Listing 2014-10-22 09:46:55
Microsoft Surpasses Amazon as Largest Windows Hosting Company: Netcraft Web Hosting News 2014-02-27 17:05:44
Windows Azure to Add Brazil Cloud Region Early Next Year Web Hosting News 2014-05-01 08:21:50
Malwarebytes Launches Data Scan-and-Backup Service Web Hosting News 2013-05-07 14:51:03
Expired SSL Certificate Brings Down Windows Azure Cloud Web Hosting News 2013-02-25 10:38:00