hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Specialty Hosting and Markets : Game Servers : Game Server Development.

Forum Jump

Game Server Development.

Reply Post New Thread In Game Servers Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2006, 07:58 PM

Game Server Development.

Hello,

I'm recently beginning to open my own game server bussiness. I want to buy a dedicated server Dell Dual Xeon 2.8ghz with those specs atleast.

Some Info:

1.) How much ram do i need to host around 50 players? (Using a Windows OS)

2.) My price range is UNDER $100 (Please don't tell me to change my price range, its what I can spend.)

Do you guys have ANY suggestions?

Thanks,

--BERNARD--

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2006, 08:05 PM
Disabled

Okay well, I can tell you not to change your price range but I might suggest you change your desired market if you are looking at only having a 100$ Budget.

But to help you answer question 1, you will need really 1GB, I wouldnt feel compfortable using 512MB on any server that hosts multiple game servers.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Web Hosting Guru

I would call 1 gb the minimum decent I/O is helpful too..

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2006, 08:22 PM
Community Liaison

Bernard, I am sorry but really if that is your budget, you will be hard pressed to stay in business long. I hate to burst your bubble as everyone should have a dream but gameserver clients are notorious for late or non payments and will switch to save 2ms ping. What this means is you will find that that your slots will be used up with non paying customes from time to time.

Also anytime you take a box down for maintenance you will be taking out your entire customer base.

If you insist on doing this, take a look at LT as a central provider or softlayer but they may be too expensive.

West coast try webnx, east coast try ezzi.net.

If you can afford a control panel for the service go with tcadmin. Do you have msn? I can give you some other options (no i am not a provider or anything trying to sell you something).

Old 06-27-2006, 08:25 PM
Web Hosting Master

Where are you planning on finding a Dell Dual Xeon for under $100 a month? The lowest ones I've seen are atleast 150 and those are on cheap networks.

If $100 is your budget you will never compete with the 100s of other GSP's out there...you need capital to make capital...otherwise don't waste the little you have on it.

Old 06-27-2006, 08:26 PM
Web Hosting Guru

CoolRaul is posting a realistic truth about the industry I've been there and seen it.. you should try a search it's been talked about before..

Old 06-27-2006, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRaul
Bernard, I am sorry but really if that is your budget, you will be hard pressed to stay in business long. I hate to burst your bubble as everyone should have a dream but gameserver clients are notorious for late or non payments and will switch to save 2ms ping. What this means is you will find that that your slots will be used up with non paying customes from time to time.

Also anytime you take a box down for maintenance you will be taking out your entire customer base.

If you insist on doing this, take a look at LT as a central provider or softlayer but they may be too expensive.

West coast try webnx, east coast try ezzi.net.

If you can afford a control panel for the service go with tcadmin. Do you have msn? I can give you some other options (no i am not a provider or anything trying to sell you something).
I would LOVE to talk to you on MSN. Please add bernard_grand@hotmail.com -- Please leave your msn so I know to accept you.

--BERNARD--

Last edited by bernard12345; 06-27-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:44 PM
Web Hosting Master

You definitely need Dual Xeons or Dual Opterons to compete in the marketplace today.

Get this straight...THERE IS NO WAY YOU WILL MAKE IT ON A $100 BUDGET.

Sorry to tell you. There is atleast a $199 server fee to have a good server and good network, there is going to be a fee to have the control panel for your users to be able to control their game server, you need marketing costs, and so on.

Old 06-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Community Liaison

cool_raul @ hotmail.com is my msn I will be on shortly

Old 06-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Disabled

I spend more then 200$ a month just on Licencing Nothing tangible anyway.

Good Luck if you do try it,

Old 06-27-2006, 11:14 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Guys where can I buy a new Dodge Charger for $14,000? And don't tell me to get more money because thats all I have.

This is the server to car analogy of what you asked bernard.

Old 06-28-2006, 11:30 AM
WHT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCF
Guys where can I buy a new Dodge Charger for $14,000? And don't tell me to get more money because thats all I have.

This is the server to car analogy of what you asked bernard.
Meanwhile all the other GSPs are going to run over that Charger w/ Hummers.

(http://www.hd-gaming.com)
Professional Gaming Services For The Professional Gamer

Old 07-01-2006, 10:44 PM

Thanks for the help

--BERNARD--

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
SoftLayer Powers Global Expansion of DataHotel’s Japanese App Hosting Service Web Hosting News 2014-02-06 11:37:21
Square Enix to Create On-Demand Cloud Gaming Platform Web Hosting News 2013-11-06 10:00:55
SOE, UOL BoaCompra, Gamerica Partner to Bring Online Game PlanetSide 2 to Brazil Web Hosting News 2014-05-01 08:21:55
Most Online Gamers Experience Unplanned Server Outages During Play: LeaseWeb Study Web Hosting News 2013-05-01 15:16:03
What Online Game Hosting Customers Want Web Hosting News 2014-05-09 12:40:48