Cleaning log files

Hello,

I have found that my audit.d directory is periodically getting full of 20 MB logs which cause the server to crash when the /var gets over the mark of 85%. These are about 100 files to be manually cleaned up every two weeks, or the server will crash.

Should I use some cron script or there is other ways to cope with the problem?

And a second question:
    The mysqld.log is well over 3.5 GB and takes about 60% of the alotted var space. What would you suggest to do with it?

TIA

It's safe to delete mysqld.log and then restart the mysql server. Then you will have more free space for your audit.d directory.

Thanks, I have just overwritten it with an empty file, thus freeing more than 50% from /var. Now it is only 8% used.

What I need is help how to compose a cron script telling the machine to delete all save.n files in /var/log/audit.d where n =>1

Or, as I now realised, to decrease the number of save.n files to 20 - because I've never seen there files with n>100

You can put a shell script inside /etc/cron.weekly

The shell script is that:

#!/bin/bash
    rm -fr /var/log/audit.d/save.*

Check out logrotate.
    Specializing in MySQL and website tuning for high traffic sites. cmwsci.com/