Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    45

    EuroVPS - first impressions

    Just wanted to share my impressions about EuroVPS since I got VPS managed, HSP control panel with them few days ago:

    Advantages

    + I got my VPS ready in literally 10 miniutes after paying !!! Amazing - I don't think there is anybody who matches them in this.
    So if you are in trouble, this is the hosting provuider to go to to get you set up so in 15 minutes your site(s) is back to business (excluding the time for propagation of the DNS change for your domain).

    + Support is amazing - although they state their SLA (Service Level Agreement) for tickets is 12 hours, I got mine resolved or at least answered in as follows (the first six):
    * 5 minutes
    * 36 minutes
    * 5 minutes
    * 3 minutes
    * 6 minutes
    Answers are straightforward, short and informative.

    + although ping to the server is slow (110-140 ms from USA), web pages (e.g. about 60 KB PHP pulling data from MySQL) load quite quickly (pictures render a bit slow though ...)


    Disadvantages

    - (from USA): ridiculously slow HSP control panel loading, even after all images are cached after loading the same page several times

    - (from USA): ridiculously slow FTP upload: 50 KB/sec, considering I get 100-150 KB/sec with plenty of FTP servers

    - HSP doesn't offer the feature to see your website BEFORE actually pointing your domain name DNS servers to the actual hosting server.
    This is very bad, since you want to make sure your site runs fine on the new webserver before switching your visitors to it.
    Others like CPanel and Ensim do offer this feature, e.g something like http ://hostingserver.com/~youradminname or http ://IP_address/~youradminname or http ://hostingserver.com/~yourdomain.com

    - HSP has some very misleading texts while setting up things (e.g. it advices not to create "www" A record when you create a site, but such is not created after all)

    Issues

    - default HSP Apache install forces UTF-8 charset in server header (very stupid idea, I don't know if it is default RH or HSP CP config). So if your web page is not UTF-8 - it will be "garbage" all over.
    To fix, edit /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf and comment out the line AddDefaultCharset UTF-8 : since this file cannot be changed from within HSP CP, logon as "root" via SSH (FTP for root is NOT allowed!); after editing restart Apache server (only)


    I will keep you posted. So far definitely positive, since the drawbacks are minor and fixable easily.

    Cheers!
    Last edited by webcho; 06-21-2006 at 11:54 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Mighty Jungle
    Posts
    257
    Glad to hear that you are happy with EuroVPS. I am also one of their customers, and their service is great.

    The pings really depend on where you are in the United States. I ping them from Chicago and get ~80ms pings most of the time. I have never had an upload problem, I always get 100KB/s or more.

    As for the DNS issue, it is really easy to get around that. Be creative --- you can do anything from creating a subdomain at your current host in the dns settings and pointing it to the new server to test it. You could technically also force it to display on the IP address.

    HSP could use some improvements, I agree, but I am sure that SWsoft is working on it. They're a pretty great company and tend to listen to what people want.

    As for the UTF-8 problem, what language is your site in? I have honestly never ever made a site before that is not UTF-8...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgium/europe
    Posts
    319
    I'm glad to read this review. I'm also considering taking a HSP plan with them.
    what you state as a disadvantage won't be one for me. I'm from Europe and I guess it will be flaming fast for me.

    although I don't have any experience with HSPcomplete. I want to focus my business more on the designing stuff and less on hosting so I'm still thinking vps would be taking to much of my time.
    but on the other hand I want to be able to offer my costumers JSP based sites so I need tomcat (always possible on a vps, not that commonly spread on reseller plans)

  4. #4

    I go EuroVPS too, very nice

    Quote Originally Posted by webcho
    Just wanted to share my impressions about EuroVPS since I got VPS managed, HSP control panel with them few days ago:

    Advantages

    + I got my VPS ready in literally 10 miniutes after paying !!! Amazing - I don't think there is anybody who matches them in this.
    So if you are in trouble, this is the hosting provuider to go to to get you set up so in 15 minutes your site(s) is back to business (excluding the time for propagation of the DNS change for your domain).

    + Support is amazing - although they state their SLA (Service Level Agreement) for tickets is 12 hours, I got mine resolved or at least answered in as follows (the first six):
    * 5 minutes
    * 36 minutes
    * 5 minutes
    * 3 minutes
    * 6 minutes
    Answers are straightforward, short and informative.

    + although ping to the server is slow (110-140 ms from USA), web pages (e.g. about 60 KB PHP pulling data from MySQL) load quite quickly (pictures render a bit slow though ...)


    Disadvantages

    - (from USA): ridiculously slow HSP control panel loading, even after all images are cached after loading the same page several times

    - (from USA): ridiculously slow FTP upload: 50 KB/sec, considering I get 100-150 KB/sec with plenty of FTP servers

    - HSP doesn't offer the feature to see your website BEFORE actually pointing your domain name DNS servers to the actual hosting server.
    This is very bad, since you want to make sure your site runs fine on the new webserver before switching your visitors to it.
    Others like CPanel and Ensim do offer this feature, e.g something like http ://hostingserver.com/~youradminname or http ://IP_address/~youradminname or http ://hostingserver.com/~yourdomain.com

    - HSP has some very misleading texts while setting up things (e.g. it advices not to create "www" A record when you create a site, but such is not created after all)

    Issues

    - default HSP Apache install forces UTF-8 charset in server header (very stupid idea, I don't know if it is default RH or HSP CP config). So if your web page is not UTF-8 - it will be "garbage" all over.
    To fix, edit /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf and comment out the line AddDefaultCharset UTF-8 : since this file cannot be changed from within HSP CP, logon as "root" via SSH (FTP for root is NOT allowed!); after editing restart Apache server (only)


    I will keep you posted. So far definitely positive, since the drawbacks are minor and fixable easily.

    Cheers!

    Hello I new very happy customer of EuroVPS they are very good. I never see this company before and today I know who best in market. No other company as good as EurovPS for sure. I get offer they have 930P and a *FREE* windows vps. I never be happyier from company service. Amaze. It is good because support as good as webcho say it is. I usually get question answer in 4 minute.

    Thank you EUROVPS you are best

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by psykik
    I'm glad to read this review. I'm also considering taking a HSP plan with them.
    what you state as a disadvantage won't be one for me. I'm from Europe and I guess it will be flaming fast for me.

    although I don't have any experience with HSPcomplete. I want to focus my business more on the designing stuff and less on hosting so I'm still thinking vps would be taking to much of my time.
    but on the other hand I want to be able to offer my costumers JSP based sites so I need tomcat (always possible on a vps, not that commonly spread on reseller plans)
    Good, but be aware EuroVPS's HSP is lacking a lot of basic out-of-the-box features common for resller plans:

    - hosting packages management

    - webmail (according to the HSP's original documentation, OpenMail is supposed to be standard, but for unknown reason EuroVPS has disabled it). I managed to install SquirrellMail, but had to install IMAP server as well (strangely not included in the standard setup).

    Other basic things missing - for those who are a bit advanced in managing their server - were yum (automated RPM downloader and installer, basic utility in CentOS), pine (text-based mail client), lynx (text based browser).

    Another good thing (I don't know if it is HSP's, CentOS's or EuroVPS's) is the shell file/directory name highlighting and the *human* (not the Unix :-) ) command line editing keys (e.g. HOME gets you in the beginning of the line as opposed to just showing some weird character on the screen)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    45
    one another thing so far is something that is important to me since it was the main reason to move to EuroVPS and a VPS at all: CPU usage. I installed a single site - my most visited and utilizing one. Now I restricted it to using only simple MySQL inserts and selects, although visitor base is and isnerting records is very intensive. The main DB table is close to 100'000 records (any ideas on optimization/speeding up MySQL or simple inserts/selects?).

    Still the CPU utilization shows 80-90% with bursts well over 100%.

    Memory should be pretty enough (768 MB guaranteed) and since this site was able to survive (with struggle) on reseller plans, I guess it is the CPU only that is causing the problem.

    There is no guaranteed CPU (in MHz) from EuroVPS and I don't know what hardware my VPS is running on (it mentions some IBM XSeries, but which one?). I don't know how many other VPSes are running on the same server and how much CPU theu use.

    I doubt the site needs dedicated server though.

  7. #7
    (it mentions some IBM XSeries, but which one?).
    IBM xSeries 365.

    Regarding HSPcomplete, of course it's missing a lot of features it was never touted as a full featured control panel, you can see that from the pricing which is 1/3 to 1/5 the price of Plesk or cPanel systems, which we also sell.

    HSPcomplete is a very basic, very budget, and very simple panel, designed as an entry point into the VPS world. I don't think that there are many other VPS providers that will provide a 1GB or 1.5GB VPS with true resource allocation for that price.

    I believe that any comments about HSPcomplete, should be directed to SW.RU. We have made several to them already, but remember, we recommend Plesk for those who need these features.

    HSPComplete
    ---------------------
    * Very cheap for you
    * High resources
    * Top hardware
    * Very simple, no webmail, no end user logon, etc etc
    * NOT for hosting providers

    Plesk
    ---------------------
    * More expensive, starts at 50 EUR
    * Very powerful control panel
    * Provides full featured management for hosting operation
    * Obviously includes webmail, and all other amenities expected in hosting business

    If you have some problem with the site load contact Support, they will look at your situation and advise what needs to be done,
    EuroVPS VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers | Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam
    UK +44.203.355.6681 / Amsterdam +31.208.202.120

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,163
    Quote Originally Posted by webcho
    Still the CPU utilization shows 80-90% with bursts well over 100%.

    Memory should be pretty enough (768 MB guaranteed) and since this site was able to survive (with struggle) on reseller plans, I guess it is the CPU only that is causing the problem.

    There is no guaranteed CPU (in MHz) from EuroVPS and I don't know what hardware my VPS is running on (it mentions some IBM XSeries, but which one?). I don't know how many other VPSes are running on the same server and how much CPU theu use.
    If your site struggled on a shared host, your code and database almost certainly need optimising, you should not blame your hosting provider.

    You also can't guarantee a certain number of MHz with Virtuozzo, it's pretty impossible to do considering every processor is different, and uses different methods for optimization. Virtuozzo uses CPU "units" instead.

    Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    45
    Something I don't get is the following:

    most of the times I look into the HSP CPU utilization, I see an average of 50-70% and very low RAM usage.

    At the same time, using top, I get the following:

    top - 00:18:37 up 1 day, 23:36, 2 users, load average: 0.29, 0.56, 0.53
    Tasks: 29 total, 2 running, 27 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie
    Cpu(s): 4.1% us, 0.6% sy, 0.0% ni, 95.3% id, 0.0% wa, 0.0% hi, 0.0% si
    Mem: 5166364k total, 5082088k used, 84276k free, 94928k buffers
    Swap: 10649472k total, 1658524k used, 8990948k free, 1412696k cached

    This 5 GB of Memory should be the total memory of the physical server I guess. But why is it showing highly utilized here (steady at this value all the time)? Just a question.


    Another one is that I noticed - again using utility "top" - that it is httpd (user "apache") that actually utilizes CPU the most! I was thinking it is the MySQL DB (mysqld), but it is not at all. I see 4-5 httpd processes getting at the top of "top" utility result each using 15-20%. It is in bursts, but still.

    So it might not be my database after all, but Apache CPU that has to be optimized. Is it possible it is somehow the Apache-php connection? How do I check if Zend (PHP optimizer) is installed and running?

    One thing I did is to convert all my DB fileds to the lowest data type possible. This will make the DB shorter and the queries faster according to MySQL themselves.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroVPS/Director
    IBM xSeries 365.

    Regarding HSPcomplete, of course it's missing a lot of features it was never touted as a full featured control panel, you can see that from the pricing which is 1/3 to 1/5 the price of Plesk or cPanel systems, which we also sell.

    HSPcomplete is a very basic, very budget, and very simple panel, designed as an entry point into the VPS world. I don't think that there are many other VPS providers that will provide a 1GB or 1.5GB VPS with true resource allocation for that price.

    I believe that any comments about HSPcomplete, should be directed to SW.RU. We have made several to them already, but remember, we recommend Plesk for those who need these features.

    HSPComplete
    ---------------------
    * Very cheap for you
    * High resources
    * Top hardware
    * Very simple, no webmail, no end user logon, etc etc
    * NOT for hosting providers

    Plesk
    ---------------------
    * More expensive, starts at 50 EUR
    * Very powerful control panel
    * Provides full featured management for hosting operation
    * Obviously includes webmail, and all other amenities expected in hosting business

    If you have some problem with the site load contact Support, they will look at your situation and advise what needs to be done,
    Thanks, EuroVPS

    I didn't realize initially HSP is missing some of this things - on SW site they list only positive features about their product :-)

    Nevertheless, I am OK to host websites with it since I have enough knowledge to setup the things I need (as I did to make Squirrell Mail running), as well as because I do *not* resell hosting - all my sites are managed by me, not by clients or anybody else.

    I don't see issues with my site load - yet. I will do some more MYSQL optimization and learn more to find where is the utilization coming from (see my previous post).

  11. #11
    on SW site they list only positive features about their product :-)
    HSPcomplete is a very expensive, and very powerful HSP automation solution for large hosting providers. The VPS's which we create, based on the Workgroup Manager & System Manager control panel, are basically command-line only VPS's, with a very basic 'workgroup manager' panel controlled from an external server.

    When you purchase a VPS labeled 'HSPc 256', you are not receiving the HSPcomplete /pcc product.

    Regarding previous post please do some Googling or searching on WHT about Linux memory management.
    EuroVPS VPS Hosting - Virtual Private Servers | Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Providing Reliable Plesk and cPanel Servers since 2004, now offering low priced Xen & VMware VPS in Amsterdam
    UK +44.203.355.6681 / Amsterdam +31.208.202.120

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    10,574
    How do I check if Zend (PHP optimizer) is installed and running?
    # php -v

    would show Zend Optimizer.

    *However*, Zend Optimizer will NOT help you in this situation. You will want something like eaccelerator. www.eaccelerator.net
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by elix
    # php -v

    would show Zend Optimizer.

    *However*, Zend Optimizer will NOT help you in this situation. You will want something like eaccelerator. www.eaccelerator.net
    Thanks, I also found that.

    But eAccelerator page says that it only works with mod_php or php in fastcgi mode.

    When I do phpinfo(), I don't see mod_php or fastcgi.

    So I will need to recompile Apache I guess ... wich might be tricky.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    3,407
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlyk
    The pings really depend on where you are in the United States. I ping them from Chicago and get ~80ms pings most of the time. I have never had an upload problem, I always get 100KB/s or more.
    Your VPS is pinging 80 ms from Chicago to Europe? Can you provide the IPs please I want to test this. I find it hard to beleive you can get 80 over that distance even with an almost straight shot.
    BeDifferentSolutions | "For when Indian-based solutions just won't do."
    *We hire, train and manage extremely skilled technical support employees for your business*
    US and European Based Representatives | Dedicated and Semi-Dedicated Options | Level 1/2/3 Skillsets
    Expertise Since 1999 | www.bedifferentsolutions.com | info@bedifferentsolutions.com

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    45
    Quote Originally Posted by webcho
    Thanks, I also found that.

    But eAccelerator page says that it only works with mod_php or php in fastcgi mode.

    When I do phpinfo(), I don't see mod_php or fastcgi.

    So I will need to recompile Apache I guess ... wich might be tricky.
    Apparently I was able to install eAccelerator nicely eventhough I couldn't find if Apache is with mod_php or with fastcgi.

    So far I think there is VISIBLE performance improvement, but that might be because there is almost nobody at the site at this time.

    Will tell tomorrow when I get plenty of visitors.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,911
    Quote Originally Posted by UmBillyCord
    Your VPS is pinging 80 ms from Chicago to Europe? Can you provide the IPs please I want to test this. I find it hard to beleive you can get 80 over that distance even with an almost straight shot.
    That would be impressive. I am interested in seeing the same.

    -Jay
    KnownHost Managed VPS Specialists
    Toll Free: (866)-332-9894
    Fully Managed VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Servers

    RocketVPS.com - Premium Unmanaged VPS Hosting

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Mighty Jungle
    Posts
    257
    I'm not really comfortable giving out my home IP address (Where I am pinging in Chicago from...) or my any of my IPs with EuroVPS, but I would suggest pinging 85.17.9.254, which is EuroVPS's test IP and it happens to be on the same block as a majority of my VPS.

    When I get home on July 2 (I am in Cali right now, and I will admit that pings are _definately_ not as good here as in Chicago), I would be more than happy to copy/paste a ping from my home computer to show the response times that I get.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    3,407
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlyk
    I'm not really comfortable giving out my home IP address (Where I am pinging in Chicago from...) or my any of my IPs with EuroVPS, but I would suggest pinging 85.17.9.254, which is EuroVPS's test IP and it happens to be on the same block as a majority of my VPS.

    When I get home on July 2 (I am in Cali right now, and I will admit that pings are _definately_ not as good here as in Chicago), I would be more than happy to copy/paste a ping from my home computer to show the response times that I get.
    I understand. But I have seen you post this in a few threads now. I woudl like this verified first before something that might not be correct is posted again. I have run this IP from a few places even closer then Chicago, and it does not even come in under 100. Of course the only real way to test is try from your IP or ISP.

    This is no dig on EuroVPS. Only pointing out I think 80 MS would need to be seen to be believed, no matter who the host.
    BeDifferentSolutions | "For when Indian-based solutions just won't do."
    *We hire, train and manage extremely skilled technical support employees for your business*
    US and European Based Representatives | Dedicated and Semi-Dedicated Options | Level 1/2/3 Skillsets
    Expertise Since 1999 | www.bedifferentsolutions.com | info@bedifferentsolutions.com

  19. Newsletters

    Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •