Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by squirreldog
    but was put off by Rackspace's Used Car Lot style of turkish rug merchant secret price haggling sales system. To me, that style of selling communicates they are happy to gouge me if they can, and that's just not the kind of corporate culture I want to make my business dependant on.
    I've called them out on their sales tactics, and after some explanation, their methods make a lot more sense. The rep I was working with explained to me that they customize each server to fit your needs, and want to ensure the right solution is chosen from the beginning, rather than shoe-horning you into a pre-packaged configuration.

Ensuring you are in the proper solution IS part of the "fanatical" support process, which is why you don't see pre-priced cookie cutter configurations like you see on the web sites of lower cost providers.

Call me naieve, but I think this makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by doogypants
    I've called them out on their sales tactics, and after some explanation, their methods make a lot more sense. The rep I was working with explained to me that they customize each server to fit your needs, and want to ensure the right solution is chosen from the beginning, rather than shoe-horning you into a pre-packaged configuration.

Ensuring you are in the proper solution IS part of the "fanatical" support process, which is why you don't see pre-priced cookie cutter configurations like you see on the web sites of lower cost providers.

Call me naieve, but I think this makes sense.
    It does, to a degree - but, they should at least have *some* guideline pricing available on their website so a prospective customer can see what the general price range is on a couple of sample configurations (low, medium and high end).

Rackspace doesn't need to sell at that price; but it could be used more for the purpose of "talking points" for prospective customers. Though, on the flipside, this could be used against Rackspace and their "person-to-person" salesmanship tactics (and chances to sell servers).

The problem with their model, that I see, is that once they've roped you into their sales cycle - it's rather hard to get out of it completely and predefined "sample" pricing would go a long way to reducing the need for person-to-person communication (and the fact that they pull up a live chat on EVERYONE is just annoying! ).

I think that the way they run their sales organization is, on the whole, very respectable and commendable - but I also think at the same time that it's not being totally fair to the consumer that just wants to "price shop" for longer-term future needs.

Just my $0.02 cents.
    Simpli Networks, LLC :: http://www.simplinetworks.com :: Proudly 100% Owned.
    Providing Affordable Managed Cloud/VPS Servers & Server Management Solutions.
    We offer REAL 24x7x365 in-house support - proudly serving our customers since 2005!
    Want to learn more? Give us a call - +1 (844) 4SIMPLI or email sales[@]simplinetworks.com today!

Generally, in the past we have used them all. Pretty much every single "fanatic" managed services. To be frank they all do the simple things very well. However when it comes to more advanced requests, they do tend to fail. One managed host we used a few years back repeatedly reply tickets on control panels by saying that they opened a ticket with the maker (and no follow up thereafter). Another told us when we asked about firewall solutions that our server is a whitebox and is thus not upgradable to their firewall solutions which is located at another location.

The moral of the story is that they all have their strengths and shortcomings general. We actually mold our services based on those experiences.

Lastly, the OP's pricing seems fairly unrealistic. $400 at Rackspace is not a bad deal. You may want to reconsider.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12