hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Managed Hosting and Services : 100% uptime guarantee in the UK?

Forum Jump

100% uptime guarantee in the UK?

Reply Post New Thread In Managed Hosting and Services Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2006, 06:56 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

100% uptime guarantee in the UK?

I'm looking for a managed host which over 100% uptime guarantee other than Rackspace. The server MUST be located in the UK. I know there Rackspace are very good but I would like to see what else is out there.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Managed Hosting Expert

What kind of budget have you got? Rackspace are probably the most expensive, but your budget will really dictate what options you have open to you ...

Any idea on server specs and level of management?

Dan

█ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

Old 06-20-2006, 09:48 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Full management is a must. Literally all I want to do is create the account on the server, nothing else. I wouldn't want root access as it isn't my speciality.

As for budget, as much as it costs. The quality of the service I recieve would be much more important. However, the reason I'm not automatically going with Rackspace is the price they charge. But I am aware that quality comes at a premium, so I'm just weighing up my options.

As for server specs, nothing spectacular. Dual Xeons/Opertons, 2GB ram, 2x 160GB Hdd with raid. Not sure on which control panel yet.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Web Hosting Master

Do you just want a guarantee or a company that can actually deliver the 100% uptime?

Old 06-20-2006, 11:17 AM
Web Hosting Master

Absolute 100% uptime is not possible - no matter who you go with.

What you want is the best you can possible get, with heavy penalties should things go wrong.

Last time I looked rackspace gave 5% fee credit for every 30 minutes of outage.

When a company states 100% uptime, the client should not pay for the entire month if its not - thats how you decide who is serious about a claim of 100% uptime.

Nearly every single hosting company says they offer 100% uptime...

Old 06-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiteration

What you want is the best you can possible get, with heavy penalties should things go wrong.

Last time I looked rackspace gave 5% fee credit for every 30 minutes of outage.

When a company states 100% uptime, the client should not pay for the entire month if its not - thats how you decide who is serious about a claim of 100% uptime.

Nearly every single hosting company says they offer 100% uptime...
I think the 100% uptime guarantee is just a sales gimmick, they often put in a maximum payout clause exactly the same as any SLA, its more important to look at the network redundancy and how close the technicians are to the actual servers/response time if something does go wrong. Also worth checking is do they replace the server straight away or try and repair it first...

Old 06-20-2006, 11:58 AM
Managed Hosting Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_UK2
I think the 100% uptime guarantee is just a sales gimmick, they often put in a maximum payout clause exactly the same as any SLA, its more important to look at the network redundancy and how close the technicians are to the actual servers/response time if something does go wrong. Also worth checking is do they replace the server straight away or try and repair it first...
It's important to notice the difference between an uptime SLA and an uptime guarantee. It's quite obvious that nobody can guarantee 100% uptime, but what they can do is offer a service level agreement which equates to refunds based on the amount of downtime where applicable.

Dan

Old 06-20-2006, 12:13 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorBlue - Dan
It's important to notice the difference between an uptime SLA and an uptime guarantee. It's quite obvious that nobody can guarantee 100% uptime, but what they can do is offer a service level agreement which equates to refunds based on the amount of downtime where applicable.

Dan
I take your point, but the amount that most people will pay back (say for example a months fee on a decent server approx £100) is absolutely peanuts compared to the amount that could be lost by a company in a few minutes... so how much does an SLA really mean? (saying that we've got one as well as everyone else ;-).

What I was saying was look at the response time and policies when it comes to hardware too rather than being satisfied with an SLA or 'guarantee'.

Andy.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
I beg to differ.

Quote:
That is pointless to customers were an hour of downtime can cost them 10s of thousands of pounds in lost business.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:50 PM

I dont think it is possible for 100 % uptime, but maybe some companies are advertising this, I have had good experience with uk2.net, they are good and i have experienced NO downtime with them...
-Alex.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:12 PM
Managed Hosting Expert

Andy, Cabalstudios...

You both make good points, I don't think anyone was saying that 100% uptime is impossible, of course it's possible, but you can't guarantee it because the law of averages says that some day, no matter how redundant things are, your site is going to go down. Just look at Google a few years back ...

If you need a real high uptime solution, you don't pay £100 for a server, simple as that. Good redundant clustering solutions come at a price, and if you really need that security not only should you be in consultations with premium managed services providers, but also with your insurance company. We have a number of customers that went down this route.

Dan

Old 06-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabalstudios
I beg to differ.

That is pointless to customers were an hour of downtime can cost them 10s of thousands of pounds in lost business.
*Absolute* 100% uptime is impossible.
Unless your monitoring the servers each and EVERY second from multiple locations you simply cannot guarantee no outage (how about every 10th of a second ?)

What about "acts of God" ?

Are you saying you can *absolutly* guarantee 100% uptime ?

If you can I'm moving all our customers to you as we can make an absolute fortune :-)

Last edited by reiteration; 06-20-2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:45 PM
WHT Addict

Quote:
*Absolute* 100% uptime is impossible.
Unless your monitoring the servers each and EVERY second from multiple locations you simply cannot guarantee no outage (how about every 10th of a second ?)
Absolute 100% uptime is certainly possible, if you look at our website there are 2 servers (at time of this writing) that have 100% uptime...you can also Guarantee a 100% uptime...what you CANT to is follow through with that guarantee, which means that what someone says will happen has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Looking at "guarantees" is pointless, look at their network, look at their support staff, look at the quality of their servers, if they are a fly-by-night operation OF COURSE they will offer a 100% guarantee, what do they have to lose? You need to ask them what makes them think they can afford to pay that guarantee if it doesn't work out.

Old 06-20-2006, 05:08 PM

Good luck finding what you need.. Had trouble myself.

thanks''Click Freak

Old 06-20-2006, 05:35 PM
Web Hosting Master

Lets agree to disagree, nothing is absolute in this life.

We have had no outage since we began monitoring (by an independant external company nearly a year ago) but all our contracts
have clauses in them that allow for a very small amount each month. If we go over that we give them the whole months fees back.

I'm sure everyone here has the same only they don't want to admit it.

This is not fee credits like most providers. This is an actual cheque and we've had to pay out twice in nearly 8 years.

Put your money where your mouth is - anything else means nothng.

Guaranteeing something doesn't mean it won't happen.
Judge the company on what they give you when it does.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Uptime Institute Symposium 2014 Web Hosting Events 2014-04-09 11:24:20
Codero Hosting Listing 2014-07-30 12:24:17
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - April 12, 2013 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:43:11
Superb Internet Launches More Detailed SLA Program Web Hosting News 2013-04-10 10:31:51
Web Host ServerHub Launches High Availability Hosting Web Hosting News 2013-02-04 09:00:54