hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Computers and Peripherals : Deleting 1 Windows install from 2 on same hardrive

Forum Jump

Deleting 1 Windows install from 2 on same hardrive

Reply Post New Thread In Computers and Peripherals Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 03:24 PM
WHT Addict

Question

Deleting 1 Windows install from 2 on same hardrive

Hello all I am terribily sorry to trouble guys i have been searching google for a few hours and found nothing i am unsure on what i am searching for, Anyhow i have 2 windows installations on the same hardrive on my Windows XP computer i have had it this way for quite a while and never got to erasing 1 of them well today i have decided that i want to delete one, only problem is i find no option for deleting 1 windows installation of 2 on the same harddrive so i was hoping any of you can guide me in the right direction as to how to delete one of them without deleting both ???

Thanks much i really appricate it.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Old 06-14-2006, 08:28 PM
WHT Addict

hehe so thats what i would have had to search for dual boot ? Thanks alot i really appricate it.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2006, 09:36 PM
WHT Addict

Hmm i just noticed something well i have 2 installs on my windows my i only see 1 drive that article shows about having 2 diffrent drives such as C:\ & D:\ both my installs are in my program files folder.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:44 AM
WHT Addict

I'm really sorry to bump this thread but i just got back to trying to fix this as i never did put too much mind into it again but could anyone help ? I see the article about deleting 1 OS but the problem is i think both OS's are on 1 disk drive as when i try looking i only see drive c:\ and nothing else, any advice or help ?

P.S. I'm also sorry about putting this in the wrong section hopefully a moderator can move this to the proper section, i had no idea it was in web design.....

Old 12-10-2006, 02:35 AM
Web Hosting Master

It's not going to happen. you can't install two O/Ss using the same directories. It might still be working, but it is screwed up. you can't install applications from one O/S and expect the other to still work right when they're both in the same directory. It just can't work. It might be working for you, but it's definitely not correct.

Old 12-10-2006, 02:54 AM
WHT Addict

I see,Well thanks alot for the reply bro i guess i will have to find my windows xp disk and reformat some time later on just wanted to see if there was a way to avoid doing that but i see i'm screwed, not sure how i did it but yeahh the first one works fine and second doesn't and there's only 1 drive, Thanks again.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:34 AM
WHT Addict

Can you boot to both OS's or is it just a start up option that says select which OS to run (sometimes this happens when you reinstall). If you truly do have both copies on the same partition I would just reformat and save yourself the hassle of fixing all the breaks when you remove one. Some may argue with me but save yourself time and headaces and reformat, make sure you backup first.

"Cheap hosting costs more, ask me how."

Old 09-10-2008, 12:42 PM

Don't mean to necro this again, but it needs to be rectified.

"It's not going to happen. you can't install two O/Ss using the same directories. It might still be working, but it is screwed up. you can't install applications from one O/S and expect the other to still work right when they're both in the same directory. It just can't work. It might be working for you, but it's definitely not correct."

If you don't know what you are talking about it'd be better if you just stayed quiet, sorry to sound rude. You are correct, though, you can't install it into the same directory. However you CAN install it into a different one during the installation. I currently have Windows installed in c:\windows AND c:\windowsX.
You can install many copies on one HDD
Perhaps it's better not to assume? I'm still looking for a solution to uninstall my WindosX installation and user profiles, too. My next step will be to try deleting the WindowsX folder under a CMD prompt with System privledges. If all goes well I'll report back..

Last edited by dragoonadept; 09-10-2008 at 12:46 PM.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Microsoft Surpasses Amazon as Largest Windows Hosting Company: Netcraft Web Hosting News 2014-02-27 17:05:44
Expired SSL Certificate Brings Down Windows Azure Cloud Web Hosting News 2013-02-25 10:38:00
Cbeyond Launches Windows Server 2012-Based Data Center Managed Service Web Hosting News 2012-10-15 11:07:18
Microsoft Releases WebMatrix Version 2 with Windows Azure Integration Web Hosting News 2012-09-11 15:53:49
Web Host OrcsWeb Offers Support for Windows Server 2012 Web Hosting News 2012-08-24 11:08:35