Running a web hosting business as a side income

Hi,
    I'm debating whether it would be worth it to form a web hosting business as a side income for me. Simply because I want to have a little taster of the industry and see whether im doing the right thing and also to establish whether webhosting would be for me. How many of you run it as a side income alongside somthing else say a job or another business? Just curious to see if its worth it and still have time to do other things.

Many thanks,

Matt Seymour

No matter how you look at it it's very time consuming. Your customers won't want to wait for you to come home from your full time job to provide them tech support. Hosting websites is something that you have to take very seriously. If some one is hosting a business website with you, mysql freaks out and their site is broken for 8 hours with no response from you..they might get a bit disgruntled.

Now, I know nothing about your job, whether you can hop on a computer at work to get in touch with customers or if you can afford to hire support reps. So, take that with a grain of salt. We'd need to know more about what type of sites you plan on hosting and what kind of support you plan on offering. It's very feasable if you're willing to front the costs to pay support reps to answer sales/support questions while you're at your job.

I'll second that. It is time consuming, but can also be boring at times. Depending on your first few clients you may be able to get a "taste" of how it will work for you. If say your first clients are firends, etc., they will understand your situation and might be ok with it, but as long as your willing to devote more time to the business if and when it begins to grow. Don't forget, it's doubtful you'll start any business with tons of work, but with a proper plan and smart, steady growth you could be ok.
    Jim - 2Macs H-Sphere Web Hosting
    Since 2001 - H-Sphere Clustered Shared Linux & Windows Hosting
    Fully Managed Services| Custom Web Designs
    Unconditional, 30 Day Money back Guarantee!