Disk Space issues!! / How to delete logs?

Hello all

I am a total newbie with a VPS server running WHM/CPanel. Recently my server disk space was full and all Cpanel access and emails stopped working until I purchased additional space. I couldn't log in to my server to delete any files!!

Anyways, the crux of the problem is this...

I have a 3gig server, 1 gig of which is used up by people hosting domains on my server. They are all people I know personally, and none of them are hosting particualry large amounts of files. The remaining 2 gig however seems to be made up of system files/logs. I have had the server for 3 years so presumably it has all built up over time. Can anyone tell me how best to find out how to delete these logs, or any other suggestions as to what could be taking up all the space on my server?? Many thanks for your help!!!

Brian

Are you able to ssh into your account?

I can indeed. I use Putty to get root access. However my experience of root access is only ever to type in scripts/fixquotas. I don't know how to change directory or list file sizes etc.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

To start things off, could you give us a print out of df -- which checks "disk free"?

Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/ubd/0 4128448 3148296 854324 79% /
    none 30172 0 30172 0% /dev/shm

I have roughly 854mb free at the moment - but there is clearly something hogging up a lot of the hard drive space on my 4gig server (given that only 1gig is used up by user accounts...)

Thanks
    Brian

did a bit more hunting around this website and have got a more detailed breakdown of my disk usage for you...

i really don't have a clue what i'm doing or which files can be deleted...

user 'bill' has a lot of photos on his site (c. 300mb) so that is all legit. Any ideas what the others are, and if i can delete them?

Thanks!
    Brian.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Could you try find / -size +20000k and give us a print out? Thanks.

[/]# find / -size +20000k
    /proc/kcore
    /home/vandereb/mail/vandereb.com/jaime/inbox
    /home/bill/public_html/Photos/BoatTrip/images/Food Fighting.MOV
    /home/bill/public_html/Photos/WMUHXmasBash/MVI_1000.AVI
    /home/mm/mail/mylifeconsulting.com/idx/inbox
    /home/mm/mail/mylifeconsulting.com/idx/neomail-trash

Any ideas?
    Cheers

You probably already know this: apart from /proc/kcore, that was a list of your largest files.

Checking against the disk usage you provided earlier, you don't really have any single, excessively large file. Which means it's most likely just the sum of whatnots here and there.

As you mentioned: ~1 GB is your user accounts; another ~0.9 GB (roughly) is your cPanel -- which from what I know is a little high, but still within the reasonable range (I don't use cPanel myself though, so if someone can tell me different, please do so ); then you have the architecture, /var/log, and /usr/local/apache/logs adding up to ~0.7 GB; the rest of the stuff making up the rest of the disk usage.

If you are keen on reducing disk usage, you should probably work on the user accounts and the logs at /var/log and /usr/local/apache/logs.

Good luck!

OK I shall look into the logs....

Thanks very much for your help!!!

Brian

You're welcome. Good luck!

12. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com