* RackSpace Connections

Hello all,

Excuse my ignorance.

What connection do you acutally get when you buy rackspace at rackspace.com. I know they have bandwidth limits and charge you more if you go over, but what is the acutal connection that feeds into your box? T1, T3, OC12? Does it vary on your plan? Basically what are the max upload/download speeds you can get?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinK101
    Hello all,

Excuse my ignorance.

What connection do you acutally get when you buy rackspace at rackspace.com. I know they have bandwidth limits and charge you more if you go over, but what is the acutal connection that feeds into your box? T1, T3, OC12? Does it vary on your plan? Basically what are the max upload/download speeds you can get?
    call it a hunch but i'm sure its pretty safe to say you have a 10/100 uplink to their switches. upload/download speeds depend on network conditions, and more so how far away you actully are from their network one person might get 20-30mbps but then you might get 1mbps on download.

Rackspaces pipe.. i'm sure they have a few gigEs of peering.
    Yellow Fiber Networks
    http://www.yellowfiber.net : Managed Solutions - Colocation - Network Services IPv4/IPv6
    Ashburn/Denver/NYC/Dallas/Chicago Markets Served zak@yellowfiber.net

T1, T3, OC12?
    Generally that's never the case. You probably have an 10/100 ethernet going to your server.

Their actual uplinks to the data center are gigabit ethernets.
    MediaLayer, LLC - www.medialayer.com Learn how we can make your website load faster, translating to better conversion rates for your business!
    The pioneers of optimized web hosting, featuring LiteSpeed Web Server & SSD Storage - Celebrating 10 Years in Business

We've had a few servers with Rackspace UK in the past (moved to our own network now) and they're 100mbit FDX connections as far as I remember.

Dan
    █ Dan Kitchen | Technical Director | Razorblue
    █ ddi: (+44) (0)1748 900 680 | e: dkitchen@razorblue.com
    █ UK Intensive Managed Hosting, Clusters and Colocation.
    █ HP Servers, Cisco/Juniper Powered BGP Network (AS15692).

They put you on a 10/100 port unless you work out something else. I needed a 10/100/1000 for a load-balanced site, so in addition to the cost of my bandwidth, I was also paying $800 a month or so I think for a GigE (copper) switch t feed in to my GigE Load Balancer (which I was also paying ~ $1100/mo for). And, my prices are quite low compared to what they 'normally' charge for things like that.

6. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!