Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Movie - "Open Water"

I saw the movie Open Water on the cable TV here the other night. I was spellbound. I nearly went and saw this at the cinemas, a while back, but the thought of a couple wading in the ocean freaked me out a tad.

Such honest film making, telling a very straight forward story. Nothing fancy. Just pure story telling. It doesn't feel like a movie as such. It feels like you're there with them, watching them while the story unfolds. Very real and honest.

The sharks in the movie were real too, and the actors wore chain mesh under their diving suits for protection. So freaky to see sharks brushing up against them and circling them continually.

I won't spoil the ending, but it was very moving, and the film kept me glued to my seat. Great simple story telling, and a welcome relief from the usual films these days.

4 thumbs out of 4 thumbs.

WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Really? I found it to be too slow, relying on the suspense of it all far too much, dragging it out over the 2 hours.

Still, not a bad story and filmed very well.

3 out of 5 pukes for me

this movie is no fun..
    4 thumbs your crazy

Oh well, can't please everyone.

I enjoyed the simplicity and pure story telling side of it. It was a nice change.

so, the sharks got your 5th thumb huh
    Sarcasm, the 6th Ponyman of the Apocalypse.
    Please do not inquire about Tim, the 5th Ponyman.

I work with the 4 thumbs movie ranking model.

Quote Originally Posted by bart_wbd
    this movie is no fun..
    4 thumbs your crazy
    He used his first post to tell you you're crazy bob!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stStrike
    He used his first post to tell you you're crazy bob!
    Took him just one post to figure that out.

This movie was slow and boring in my opinion. I remeber them showing clouds going by for long periods of time often during the movie.

I found the movie too boring and long. Not only that, the divers responded to that situation a little dumb. Sharks are naturally curious creatures, and those weren't even any big sharks. They can circle around you for 20 minutes before geting bored and swimming away. I can tell you that the divers probably freaked out in real life and started to kick around, etc. This made them look like injured fish and the sharks took advantage of that. If I were them I would have checked where the current was going, and just swam that way, calmly.
    Rene K.

I thought this movie was one of the worst movies I ever saw. Not only was it slow but it really isn't honest at all. How can anyone know what happened to those people....that majority of it is made up.

The movie is boring,

The true story was not exactly like that, so if they were changing it around and stuff they could have added more stuff to make it more interesting. When i saw all those helicopters and everything i thought it will finally get interesting and there will be a proper search & rescue, the ending was disapointing aswell, [SPOILER ] She just sinks in the water and the camera is on the water for like five minutes and than it just finished [/SPOILER]

Quote Originally Posted by Twinky
    . . . She just sinks in the water and the camera is on the water for like five minutes and than it just finished
    Yes, but put yourself in her shoes (or flippers ) she's just lost her husband, and she now has come to the tragic realisation that she's not going to survive, so she gives up the fight, and surrenders gracefully to her doom. I found that so haunting. A young lady, in her prime, cut down by a tragic accident. So sad.

But it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    Oh well, can't please everyone.

I enjoyed the simplicity and pure story telling side of it. It was a nice change.
    I enjoyed the movie as well..I went ahead and bought it a few months back.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    Yes, but put yourself in her shoes (or flippers ) she's just lost her husband, and she now has come to the tragic realisation that she's not going to survive, so she gives up the fight, and surrenders gracefully to her doom. I found that so haunting. A young lady, in her prime, cut down by a tragic accident. So sad.

But it's not everyone's cup of tea.
    Very sad in deed. Bunch of sharks swimming around you.. I dunno what I'd do if I were her. I initially thought I might try and swim slowly away...

I thought that it was really good - until the ending. I thought at least one would survive. Tell the tale etc kind of thing.

No i agree with you Bob, i thought it was a good film too, we bought it on DVD the weekend just past. The ending wasn't what i expected either, based on a true story also.

Hollywood just wouldn't make or take a punt on a story like Open Water.

You could argue that it was slow to start off with, but i wouldn't consider that to be an overriding negative factor.
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

Quote Originally Posted by Critic
    You could argue that it was slow to start off with, but i wouldn't consider that to be an overriding negative factor.
    For me that was the main negative factor. The film was so slow to the point that I was actually bored watching it. If you are bored watching a movie, there is no way that you can enjoy the story.

I have an "Open Water" DVD for sale cheap! I have grown tired of using mine as a beer coaster.

All jokes aside, I found the movie to be a real disapointment.
    James Edmonds
    DataDork Consulting
    http://www.datadork.com

I thought it was a really good movie. Infact If I had to list my top 100 it would probably be in there.
    ...loading

I just despised it. Granted, I'm a blockbuster action film lover, but, I do also enjoy pretty much anything.. Phantom of the Opera, for example.

The movie was just so slow, and to be honest, felt fake. I know there were real sharks and the like, but at the same time....just something was nagging me during it. 2/5
    GeeksGather - Undergoing redevelopment. Stand by.

I wanted to see this movie, and I wish I hadn't read this entire thread. Dangit.

Quote Originally Posted by Critic
    . . . You could argue that it was slow to start off with, but i wouldn't consider that to be an overriding negative factor.
    I liked the slow start. It was real, and part of the honest feel to the story. The camera filter and angles were different too. Very much like you're there with them, and the storyline is happening around you. I liked the hotel room scene, the night before they went diving. Very real with no hype or elevated levels of drama.

It looked like it literarly took them two days to film it. One for the leaving and sex in the hotel, and the other to just place a camera in water and leave two people to talk. There are people here that will disagree and tell me to look "beyond the surface", but the movie was just bad. I didn't get any emotional feelings when she dove under or when the guy died, the movie was plain. There might be things I overlooked, but I personally don't like it.
    Rene K.

It would have been a good movie if they had no chain and stuff on their body.
    I'm Zafar Ahmed.
    I provide
    SEO Services & eMarketing consultancy
    I'll be glad to hear from you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast