Thread: Selling on ebay

Selling on ebay

This is something I've considered on a few occasions and I can't decide whether it will be successful or not, so I'm looking for feedback off companies that have tried it before

Having a quick look it appears to be filled with hosts massively overselling with some plans being £2.99 per year for unlimited everything. Obviously I have no intention to compete with those kind of offers and just thought about putting up our existing plans with a buy it now price for the normal monthly rate.

I doubt I will actually sell any directly off ebay due to the "competition" but I may get some visitors from the auctions that hopefully will turn into new customers. So has anyone tried advertising on ebay? and if you have were you able to get sales despite the unrealistic offers?

Adam
    AMN WebTech
    We offer a variety of plans at competitive rates.
    Visit us for further details www.amnwebtech.co.uk

We started selling in ebay then quit. Too many scam hosts in there unfortunatly. Targetting newbies
    The MonkeyPC - cPanel webhosting that's vibrant and high in quality. Just say hello to The Monkey!

Not worth it. Too many scammers Better put your money on PR links or multiple cheap text ads.
    Cheap web hosting
    Any CMS pre-installed
    Joomla Hosting

Very True I have tried and wouldn’t bother. As matt said there targeting unsuspecting newbies.
    MK Hosting - Reliable Affordable UK Hosting Since 2005
    www.mkhosting.co.uk
    Shared Hosting - Reseller hosting - Dedicated Servers - VPS - Colocation - IT Services

Thanks, you've all pretty much confirmed what I was thinking anyway...
    AMN WebTech

The quality of the customer isn't the best. However, if you are willing to pour alot of money into listing fees and have 300+ listed auctions all the time, making it a part that you 'don't oversell' and prove why you're better than the other eBay host, it can be a powerful tool. You can get customers, and they in turn may refer customers that might be worthwhile.

Just my two cents
    CityWideHost.com - Web Hosting YOUR Way!
    Non-Oversold Hosting, Webmaster Services, Web Design, and Asterisk PBX Management!
    24/7 Support - Powered by Bobcares!

Actually there's one aspect for eBay that I found and exploited. The PR shot to 4.

It's only about $0.45 to post an ad at eBay. Worded and loaded with keywords... Well... You get the point? The goal was (actually) not to sell a single package at eBay and I didn't but I kept 7 day auctions going for a few weeks to get the added links and it's my firm belief that that helped a great deal considering I've been pretty specific about where I've CHOSEN to put the links. (I can't control the places I didn't chose of course.)

KGIII
    What Hosting Should Be
    A Blog as CMS, eBay, PR, and Ads?
    My personal email: KGIII <at> KGIII <dot> INFO
    Microsoft MVP 2003/2006 Categories: Shell/User and Internet Explorer (Gł Solutions)

One of the best hosts i've ever ordered from were selling on ebay. the support was great too, but it's going downhill now.

Bah!

I bought 3 test plans of ebay... 1 was a scam at $8.99 and the others were probably the best deals out there.

AHM selling reseller hosting for $4.95 which the support was great and it was no hassle to get extra scripts installed! Better than recent test runs i had...

& Blu-Ridg.com practically gave me a free years worth of hosting at 99 cents for 10GB Space and 100GB Monthly Bandwidth. They had the best support but it took some time to set up...

But i still reckon no matter how good ur service is, spend the money on advertising on big sites like pixel2life.com or something... tutorial sites have got most companies i know huge business!

well I would never offer plans like blu-ridg. It's just not sustainable on my business model. I don't want to lower the quality of service for my existing customers. If I were to try it I'd just put up my existing plans and prices and see how it goes. It might be worth it just for a week to get the inbound links as KGIII said and see how it goes.
    AMN WebTech

As a buyer and seller you should manage yourself well on eBay as you may come across with some tricky situation though it is a good place for buying and selling many potential risk are already involved there. In my knowledge the buyer usually visit an auction site for bulk buying preferably tangible products rather than hosting.

Why not try it out? Give it a few months, if it doesn't work, you know its not right for you.
    Bannaz™ | Amazing Banner Ad Designer!
    Need banners? Visit our Website
    New Facebook Banner Ads! Bannaz.com/facebook