hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : Linux vs FreeBSD

Forum Jump

Linux vs FreeBSD

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2006, 06:03 AM

Linux vs FreeBSD

pros and cons of both OS. Lately I switch from Gentoo to FreeBSD and now I'am very happy

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2006, 10:27 AM
Web Hosting Master

I'm a long-time fan of FreeBSD for server applications and also run it on desktops in my office. Its a solid OS and coming from a big box unix background I appreciated its centralized approach to development which, I've since noted, hasn't slowed it down too much in terms of competing with Linux for features and capabilities. And FreeBSD ports system with portupgrade is a real treat. Almost 15,000 packages in CURRENT.

That being said, committing to FreeBSD means you have fewer choices in hosting industry staples such as control panels and such. Some only support FreeBSD part of the way - for example H-Sphere I believe will support the OS on every box but its central "control server".

There lots of FreeBSD boxes out there, including at some big name hosters like http://www.pair.com/ (190,000 sites these days), and runs FreeBSD exclusively.

My primary grumble about the OS has been resolved. SMP support on 4.x wasn't terrific, 5.x better, and now as of 6.x SMP appears to be working very nicely indeed.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:19 PM
Web Hosting Master

One thing that I don't like about FreeBSD is that lots of dedicated server providers don't offer it as an option.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2006, 01:26 PM
Junior Guru

I wouldn't use anything other than FreeBSD now and I've been using it for years.

It's true though, you are more limited in choice of host.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:01 PM

very good comparison between FreeBSD, Linux and Windows 2000 can be found here:
http://people.freebsd.org/~murray/bsd_flier.html

Old 05-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee
very good comparison between FreeBSD, Linux and Windows 2000 can be found here:
http://people.freebsd.org/~murray/bsd_flier.html
This comparison looks a few years out of date. For example, it says that Linux uses the ext2 file system (no journaling support), but ext3 (has journaling support) has been out for years.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Predatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmak0
One thing that I don't like about FreeBSD is that lots of dedicated server providers don't offer it as an option.
Yeah that's really annoying.

Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Old 05-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Web Hosting Guru

I swapped from Redhat about 3 years ago and love it. Ports make life especially easy.

Recently I got a VPS machine running Debian to try out apt-get and set up mailserver. Unbelievable pain. Partly being a noob to apt-get but mostly it brings back the old memories of mismatched libs, weird pathing.

In FreeBSD I can set up a server from scratch in less than a day. It's taken me 7 in Linux.

Best quote troubleshooting courier with vpopmail? Glad you asked.

"idn't know why, but the apt deb package in the sarge distro doesn't work with the authvchkpw module..."

That might have been good to know up front. Like somewhere official.

Go with FreeBSD. You won't be disappointed and hose the control panel if you don't need it.

Iggy

Old 05-25-2006, 04:24 PM
WHT Addict

I would definatly reccomend FreeBSD to anyone getting a dedicated server or for any use as an OS at all. I have bee using it for a few years now, and much as everyone else has said, I will never go anywhere else for an OS. Its simple, fast, secure, and rock solid. Never once have I had a problem, if I didnt cause it!

www.ITSpecific.com

Old 05-25-2006, 04:33 PM
Web Hosting Master

Well seems like most of you are very positive about freebsd. I wonder if there are any negative comments about it

Old 05-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Neither. I personally like Sun Solaris which is quite simillar to FreeBSD. So if it had to be one between Linux or FreeBSD, go with FreeBSD. Also, Gentoo isn't that bad either once you have it configured the way you like it.

Old 05-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Web Hosting Master

As a user on servers and my primary home machine, the only major negative is that Adobe has revoked permission to use their Flash player on *BSD. I haven't seen any expanation for this. It's possible they just didn't realize what *BSD is when they made their list of what OSes it can be used on, but perhaps Colin Percival knows if there's more to the story.

Apache, Lighttpd, thttpd, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Perl, PHP all work fine on it.

Old 05-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Junior Guru

I use Darwin which is the apple freebsd flavor - it's very nice and has some nice bundled software that I am running on it. Free is always the plus when working with nix

Old 05-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorFred
As a user on servers and my primary home machine, the only major negative is that Adobe has revoked permission to use their Flash player on *BSD.
Can you run the Linux version, since *BSD is binary compatible with Linux (I think)?

Old 05-25-2006, 06:59 PM
Web Hosting Master

I went from red hat 9 to freebsd and all I can say is RPMs suck. Ports are excellent and some of my machines have over 400 day uptimes without any slowness or problems. I've also had freebsd machines that had over 100 load average (thank apache for that one) and I could still ssh to the machine and issue commands. Show me a linux server that can do that. Whenver I go back to work on a linux machine it feels somewhat flimsy in comparison.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Linux Malware Operation Windigo Infects 25,000 Web Servers Web Hosting News 2014-03-19 11:44:53
Verio Europe Replaces FreeBSD Hosting Solution with Linux Shared Hosting Web Hosting News 2013-08-22 08:34:35
Web Host Rackspace Adds FreeBSD 9, CentOS 6.3 Support to Cloud Servers Web Hosting News 2012-07-30 12:47:10
Web Host ServerPronto Donates Hosting Resources to CentOS Web Hosting News 2012-07-05 14:06:27
Colocation Provider NYI Launches East Coast Mirror for FreeBSD Foundation Web Hosting News 2012-05-25 10:37:18