hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : WHT Announcements, Feedback and Questions : Images in Sig? And, a Second Question...

Forum Jump

Images in Sig? And, a Second Question...

Reply Post New Thread In WHT Announcements, Feedback and Questions Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-25-2006, 05:51 AM
Web Hosting Master

Question

Images in Sig? And, a Second Question...

Question #1:

I looked and I don't see an answer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by profile signature editing page
You may not use more than 4 lines.
You may not use font sizes larger than 2.
You may not use more than 2 images.
· 35w x 35h pixels, 4.9 KB (combined).
You may not use the following vB codes: <snipped 'cause it breaks the format>
Now that leads me to believe that I can use this image in my signature:

Code:
http://kgiii.info/images/icon.bmp
(That way it's not a link.)

It is less than 4.9 KB and less than 35x35px in size. I don't even know if such is enabled but before I make an attempt to do so, well, I'm going to ask... Can I? Is this allowed and, if so, how come no one's doing it?

I figure that I've been here for years and only now am I really actually spending any time posting so I've been playing with my signature tonight and reading through the rules. (Technically this morning I suppose.) It's actually been boring tonight so, well, I figured it'd be a good time to post here.

The Second Question:

Let us assume, for just a minute, that I actually posted ads here and that this board is truly 24/7. It would be impossible for me to man the responses should those requests become active in here.

Can I then, if I opted to allow someone to represent me, give an employee access to my username and password information for WHT to come in and post on my behalf or, specifically, to answer private messages or threads that I'd started? I don't see any rules prohibiting this exactly and it isn't as if someone gets anything special for a higher post count on WHT.

KGIII

P.S. After checking the rules again (I read them often believe it or not - I'm usually a very bored person and I like to read) I see that I'm even guilty of a few rule violations that I'd missed the first time. Did you know it's against the rules to respond with something like: "Check your PMs?" Things of that nature are prohibited. Something I noted was that you can't use the discussion forums to recommend, praise, or belittle. I don't understand that one... We can't recommend ourselves and we can't recommend anyone else nor praise or belittle a company. I can see why the mods just throw that rule out the window.

Thanks for your time and sad, but true, I'm not even able to have a beer tonight - I'm actually "working" if you can call it that.

Microsoft MVP 2003/2006 Categories: Shell/User and Internet Explorer (Gł Solutions)

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2006, 06:07 AM
Community Leader

So many questions Maybe you should have had a

Images in sigs, refer to smilies. You can link to your image (although why you would is beyond me, as it is just red X ) but [img] tags in sigs are disabled

Sharing accounts is not advisable. Many have been banned because they gave access to the wrong person Have employees create their own usernames after you drum into them the advertising rules.
Quote:
Something I noted was that you can't use the discussion forums to recommend, praise, or belittle. I don't understand that one...
You can't praise or belittle a company you have no first hand experience with. If you have experience, be prepared to show us proof!

Old 05-25-2006, 06:53 AM
Web Hosting Master

I should have had a half dozen...

Anyhow that covers it pretty much except the P.S. stuff...

1) Verbiage should *probably* be changed to show "emoticons" instead of images? Just a suggestion then.

2) I can't imagine who I'd trust to allow access to my user/pass but the question was on my mind. It's interesting because this ties in with the long tutorial type thread I've been meaning to write for a million years. An irony is that when you pick a hosting company - even if it's just a DC to house your servers - you're actually putting your business, reputation, and trust in their hands. Pick wisely... My name and reputation is something I've staked a lot of time and effort into and an, rightfully so I think, reasonably proud of. I can't think of anyone I'd let represent me at WHT but, well, the question was there and so long as it's not expressly prohibited I'll assume that should I ever go insane I'll be banned based on their actions and not for the act itself. (I'm one of those think long, plan ahead, and ask beforehand people.)

The later still seems to be violated here and there and, I'm by no means hoping the moderators start enforcing it entirely, it seems that there are times where it's acceptable.

As you can see by my new sig - I've decided to come clean and actually chill out here for a bit - I'm an MVP. One of the things that I'm given is free web hosting. This service was, unfortunately it is not now, provided by Pair.

I had, at that time, just email accounts at the mvps.org address freely given and took advantage of those. Because I prefer to host on Unix (though I'm getting more fond of Linux, actually really I am more fond of Linux now) I never bothered to use it for more than a very small test page. I really, in all honesty, could not then say that I have "first hand experience" (not at any depth at any rate - for me to say that I've really had first hand experience with them would be a lie in my opinion or at least very subjective) enough to make an accurate judgment on their services from MY HOSTING experiences. However, I can say that - in all honesty - over the years we were all hosted there and our email's provisioned from there I never saw a single second of downtime and Felix, our admin, was never contacted by me for any reason other than account setup.

However, I'm 100% confident that when someone comes to WHT with a realistic budget and an obvious eye for quality that I can, and will, send them to Pair and a few other companies that I've grown to trust. I'll be buggered if I'm about to change that practice because I know - not guess - that there is absolutely no realistic risk (other than user stupidity) of the person coming back to me and saying, "I'm mad at you for recommending Pair to me." I'm 100% confident in my choice to recommend their services and I've never truly had anything other than a tiny subdomain that I redirected a domain to and email provisioning - no true control at all.

Just some fodder for thinking - there are times when it seems to be violated but it's generally okay and when it's not (I automatically subscribe to everything I post to) you all are pretty adept at cleaning it up fairly quickly.

Ah well, now if there was just some way to clear up the PM SPAMS... I think that, often, those are new users who get the SPAM and don't know that they can/should report it.

KGIII

Edited: To say this: By the way, thanks "anon." Much appreciated.

Microsoft MVP 2003/2006 Categories: Shell/User and Internet Explorer (Gł Solutions)

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2006, 08:11 AM
Community Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGIII
1) Verbiage should *probably* be changed to show "emoticons" instead of images? Just a suggestion then.
Tis in the signature rules

"May contain a maximum of two smilies. Or one animated smiley."

Quote:
The later still seems to be violated here and there and, I'm by no means hoping the moderators start enforcing it entirely, it seems that there are times where it's acceptable.
If the later or latter are violated, please use that handy dandy report link, so we actually see what you feel is violated. We can't possibily see every post unless our attention is drawn to it. I would challenge you to view 2,000+ posts in one sitting (or even one day)
Quote:
Edited: To say this: By the way, thanks "anon." Much appreciated.
You're welcome

Old 05-25-2006, 09:50 AM
Web Hosting Master

That's fine but, well, when you're editing it it says "two images" and that is confusing to me at least and I speak the language - even while sober. Mostly because, I think, I was examining the rules pretty heavily and making sure that my signature fell inline with them. You mentioned it is disabled so it is likely a moot point but, well, clarity would be nice. Where it says smileys in one place it may well be said again with said verbiage in all other locations.

*violates rules*

Check your PM!!!

See? Now the above isn't really in violation of the rules as I understand them. It does skirt them but the post contains content and, well, really check your messages when you get a minute but rest assured I don't anticipate an immediate response.

You can challenge me all you'd like. I have a few short words for you. I'll shorten them to one. "No." I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one on this forum that would absolutely and undeniably refuse to moderate this beast - even for money.

There are some posts that do violate the rules and I'm very pleased that they do and slip through the cracks. By now you've seen that I don't tend to report anything unless it's a clear violation and one that is above and beyond the acceptable use that I apply - my role of reporting stops at where I feel comfortable and so it's actually fairly seldom that I report anything at all. I have seen posts that say things like, "I've never used <company> but I know they provide <service> and I know that a number of other people on the forum recommend them and this is their contact information, price, link, etc." (Not verbatim but close enough if you'll allow me that liberty.) I honestly had no idea that that was against the rules until today and right this minute I can't think of any motive to report that to you provided I can see the response was made in a realistic manner that was beneficial to the end-user and wasn't made in such a way as to provide a direct benefit outside of the appropriate forums. The above example would be clearly against the rules and yet without that interaction (and the reputation that some companies get) we'd lessen the value of WHT.

Caution - really bad analogy ahead: read at your own risk:

I don't have to own an Italian sports car to know that those cars suit that type of driving best.

I do not have to have invested a great deal of money to know that if you're going to host a site that's getting 60 million uniques a month that Akamai is a company you should probably consider adding to your short list.

Note: End absurd over-reacting examples that are far fetched and beyond the scope of reality and only used for providing an example.

If that question was posed and if I answered it appropriately (and I've NO experience with them other than end-user and we're so not going to go there because then anyone could say that "Well, I went to their site once.") I don't believe any mod here would delete it and I know that I'd certainly not report it if someone else answered that same way.

I guess an example might be that not once - I blame longevity here and not post count or the likes - have I ever been asked to "Show me a URL where you're hosted with them." I've offered it ahead of time to some of the newer folks but I've never been asked. I'm no better than anyone else but, really, I've put a bit of me on the table and let folks know who I am and where I'm coming from and worked hard at maintaining my reputation as being fair, honest, and sometimes drinking when I'm poking about the forum.

I've sent people to check out folks like Pair. I've sent them to Netfirms whom I've not done any business with for years. Heck, if they have the budget and the question is serious and the results require something of this nature then I've no problems at all telling people that I'd recommend they review the offerings of orcsweb.com (they host the Microsoft Channel 9/blog content) for their needs and I've never once had any interaction with that company and, honestly, I don't think that, even if you read it, a mod would delete it or penalize me for it providing the answer fits the question.

Then again, in reality, I've only probably skirted the rule by posting references to companies I've barely been (as per the above example with Pair which is the only instance I can think of) with but been happy at and known that my answer will suit those with the budget and the desire. I'm unable to think of a time I've truly violated it (though I'm sure I probably have) but I'm certain I've seen it violated many times and that there was no reason for me to report those violations because the answer was actually appropriate and wasn't self-serving.

Just some more food for thought I suppose.

KGIII

Old 05-25-2006, 11:20 AM
iNET Senior Community Advisor

Quote:
*violates rules*

Check your PM!!!

See? Now the above isn't really in violation of the rules as I understand them.
"any variant thereof," doesn't help explain that line is against guidelines? It would get pretty long if we had to print an example of every possibility.

Quote:
I don't believe any mod here would delete it and I know that I'd certainly not report it if someone else answered that same way.
Correct. Your example is why that rule is appended with, "Any post not meeting a moderator's criteria will be removed without notice."

Old 05-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Web Hosting Master

Bah... Print 'em all. You gots time... *stifles giggle*

And yes, that's why I am still here at WHT. I know, without a doubt, that I'll break the rules (citing specific above examples) if I feel it's the proper thing to do and that I won't be penalized. The thing is that, and I've had my share of points, there are many who don't look or won't look and out of those there are many more who simply do not understand.

A rule meeting a mod's criteria should not be in violation of any other rules. Even if those rules are in place for a good reason and, well, generally allow the mods to do their jobs without having to answer the "why" type of questions.

Don't get me wrong - I agree with them and I know that we "all" know them well enough but the truth is that I've violated them (in my views) and feel pretty comfortable with the choice to break them except I wasn't very sure at the time I broke them and didn't really take the time to read all of it. To be honest, when I'm pressed to and there aren't any more rational answers, I'll break 'em again but I don't have any worried about being penalized for breaking them in the mentioned circumstances if that makes any sense.

The question then becomes (someone's sleeping by the way) how can the wording (if not the intent) or the rule itself be altered to better server the community? Or, well, so I would like to think... In reality it truly does sort of work now but it works by turning a blind eye towards the rules when the right thing is being done.

I believe, know really, that if you saw a reply from me - I'm restricting this to JUST me at this time - where someone needed a very advanced and high provisioned account and I responded with something akin to the afore mentioned posts that you'd not remove them and I also believe (again know) that no one would bother complaining. Is it against the rules? Surely. The exception covers what isn't covered and that is against 'em.

(Is in a really good mood actually)

To be honest (and short - which is unusual for me) I really don't know the answer. That's why you're the mod and I'm the peon and I'd not reverse those roles for any reason that I can think of. I'm quite happy being an end-user, thanks, and I want WHT to keep going on it's trek as well as make improvements where folks are able to. WHT is my place to go lurk, play, and enjoy lately and that is fine by me and (you're a mod, you can check) I'm pretty sure you'll see I speak my mind clearly when I'm given a reason to regardless of the repercussions but, in general, I'm a pretty easy to get along with person. Anything that makes WHT more defined and more functional makes it better for the end-users and I'm one of those.

Besides... Long winded is good. It's complete and, well, worth the effort. If I said, "I don't do what I don't want to do regardless of your desires" then it'd be a pretty shoddy set of rules or TOS but it covers all eventualities.

Last and not least? I'd still recommend Pair when asked for a realistic uptime and decent price and should someone need Akamai I'll send 'em there even though I've never been anything but an end user. I'll make it clear in the post though.

Alright, I'll stop bugging you all for a little while. Maybe later though?

KGIII

Old 05-25-2006, 12:28 PM
iNET Senior Community Advisor

Quote:
Maybe later though?
Any time.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:41 PM
Web Hosting Master

LOL... I've been online for a lot of years and dealt with some mods or two over that span and long since learned that I don't want said position so please trust me when I say I truly am thankful for the effort, hours, and patience you all show here.

There are three reasonably important points, from my observations, that should be made here.

1) WHT is not without its faults and is by no means the epitome of ideal.
2) WHT is nothing without the user base.
3) WHT would be completely pointless were it not for the contribution from the moderation team.

*chuckles* I'm not one to "suck up" or the likes so truly consider the above just an observation and all the more reason to consider making the rules clearer. Emoticons are called smileys in one section and called images in another - I don't mind but want to know what is what - and that's but a small example. Another is (and I think my whole responses to ads thing was a good thing for me to stop) that I think most of us have violated the rules at one point or another but, in the process, many of us have done so for the betterment of the forum.

I promised I'd not bug you so, well, just consider it something to tuck into the back of your mind until the next team meeting or what have you. Beyond that enjoy the fact that most of us know (I expect?) that your efforts are required and appreciate the fact that you're able to judge posts based on merit and not entirely on the rules that are in place when there are exceptions to be made.

I'm "off duty" in 19 minutes but, again, thanks. Both you and Anon are, in my opinion, the two easiest to talk to mods.

KGIII

Old 05-25-2006, 05:43 PM
-=*/E=-

Oh a signature topic. My fav. area of expertise . After getting banned 2 times for signatures i think i know some of the signature rules like "Free" is considered a price and cannot be used anywhere in signature , thats why i had to remove free image hosting free mysql hosting and other free stuff, as i got like 10 warning points only due to signature, and rest due to bashing people .

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted