Rudest Person on a Forum Contest?

Hello Fellow WHTians,

I've been a member a long time but really never posted before today as I've found a lot of posters on WHT extremely rude, so I wondered what your take is on this phenomenon? Why are people here so rude in many many many threads? Are they competing for some contest on WHT that I haven't noticed for "The Rudest Person on a Forum Award" maybe?

If you aren't one of the people who is constantly rude here and these guys freak you out and make you sad about how angry they are here, why do you think they feel the need to be so insanely venomous? Is it a lack of self esteem? The fact that they can be anonymous on a forum and can't be punched for a bad attitude?

(If you are one of the rude people and feel a need to be rude in this thread, please don't post. You post enough on the rest of the forum and let's have at least one thread where you don't tear people apart like a dog chewing on a new bone...)

Really, though, let's all try a day of niceness here for once. I post a lot on other forums, and I really think this one could be great if people just lightened up. I'm no angel nor even an optimist actually (I've been called pessimistic many times by friends), yet I am thankful that I have online access and have websites on a few hosts (2 dedicated servers, 3 shared accounts). We should all be thankful we can be here and enjoy ourselves.

I guess the reason I felt the need to finally post this inquiry on rudeness is that I'm tired of seeing people doing this each day on WHT. I come here to get information on hosting and have to wade through the madness of people tearing at each other all the time. I doubt this post will do any good, but if even one person who is tired of this spiral into the depths of nastiness stands up beside me and won't take it anymore, maybe some good will come from it.

Hope you all have a blessed and wonderful day.

Oh man, do we REALLY need another Iowegian on the forum???!!!

One of the rules for WHT below:
    We take the "Be Polite" rule very seriously! We do not tolerate any rudeness. Any member who is intentionally unpleasant or disruptive may be banned without warning.

Yep, I was born and raised in Iowegia

JKLIVIN, Thanks for your kind reply on the rules

Perhaps my idea of being polite might be different than the WHT rules as I've certainly seen a lot of people being sarcastic, sardonic, and out and out mean. I don't mean rude in the form of name calling, though, so in that sense I can say I don't usually see people calling other people names directly, although they might say they are lying (which implicitly indicates the person is a liar which would be name calling, but not directly calling them a liar itself).

We can agree to disagree, however, if you really find people aren't daily rude and mean here in many threads. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that there is rampant rudeness on WHT then...

Perhaps you confuse peoples freedom to speech with being rude. I personally do not notice much rudeness on the forums, just ignorance and inexperience.
    Then again I really only post in the lounge.

I dont know about being rude but some of us are forthright in our opinions which i believe is a good thing, I enjoy talking to people who have the courage of their convictions even if i disagree with them.

A healthy debate which gets a little heated is better than a bunch of people walking on eggshells too afraid of upsetting others to say what they mean...

Rude is an interpretation. We have to rely on the Mods to do that.

Rather than look at some people here as rude, I look at it more as entertainement. It is rare to see so many people of such varied ages try to act professional, yet at the same time act as if this is the forum for moveon.org
    Don't you walk thru my words
    You got to show some respect
    Don't you walk thru my words
    'Cause you ain't heard me out yet

Well, if you dont like the stuff here that you consider rude, then I can only suggest that since this place has no doors, you dont have to worry about them hitting you in the rear on your way out....

Joking of course...LOL

I don't think I confuse freedom of speech with being rude as the two aren't the same thing. Basically, freedom of speech means you can say whatever you want (well, not completely as if you incite people to crimes or threaten someone with physical harm, you can have charges filed against you for that). Freedom of speech doesn't include anything on whether you can be polite, arrogant, or nasty when saying what you want to say (or writing what you want to write).

On the other hand, rudeness means that when you say things you are purposely picking words to incite anger. Freedom of speech does allow someone to be rude, but it doesn't mean that you have to be rude to provide your input. Just because you are free to be rude in speech or writing doesn't mean you have to be rude in speech or writing, and not being rude doesn't mean you aren't being free in your speech.

You can provide debate and have it be healthy, and it doesn't mean you are walking on eggshells. No-one ever needs to rise to forms of reasoning that involve name calling (explicit or implicit), red herring or other illegitimate methods of argument in discourse.

The concept of what is rude, however, is open to interpretation as TalkMilitary does point out, and when people have been treated rudely, they tend to respond in same.

If you think about it, though, it isn't what mods consider rude, it is what the person being replied to in the post considers rude that matters honestly as the rude gesture is directed toward the individual poster. Maybe a report this post option would be warranted unless I'm missing there being one here?

Thanks for the opinions provided on the thread, though, as it is interesting to see other people's input on it.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Miraenda
    (If you are one of the rude people and feel a need to be rude in this thread, please don't post. You post enough on the rest of the forum and let's have at least one thread where you don't tear people apart like a dog chewing on a new bone...)
    Man, you just came in and all you do is complain!

//

//

//

//
    No wonder why your title is a newbee....

//

//

//

//
    On the serious note, you can never solve the rudness of others by telling them. It just makes them more rude (unless they are mature enough to understand the truth).

On the other hand, rudeness means that when you say things you are purposely picking words to incite anger.
    nooooo.. everyone here does this, specially when trying to prove their point. I think rudness is more like dissing a person.

Peace,
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

I haven't seen someone being rude in a while. Arguements on the other hand happen quite a bit, but that's good. Arguing is healthy.
    IntelliSerp - The most accurate and intelligent keyword rank tracking software.

Quote Originally Posted by Miraenda
    Hello Fellow WHTians,

I've been a member a long time but really never posted before today as I've found a lot of posters on WHT extremely rude....
    Examples?

In my 2000+ posts I've only been in about 4-5 threads where I would consider people to be rude which is quite low considering the amount of time I've spent here. The majority of my time hasn't been in the 'Web Hosting Lounge' however.

Disagreements happen, in any community there will always be disagreements. I guess it depends on your definition of rudeness but I haven't noticed much.

The fact that they can be anonymous on a forum and can't be punched for a bad attitude?
    I dare someone to try and punch me in person.
    Webmaster Forum • webmastertalk.net • Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools • domainfocus.com • Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

Answer, people are bolder hiding behind a keyboard. In real life they're probably big pussycats.
    Check Out The Tron ! - The Newest Live Music (and Legal) Tracker On The Net

First year of hosting:

feel compassion for people that get screwed by bad companies, and discretely try to convert the client thus sidestepping forum rules.

Second year of hosting:

neutrality, possibly convert client

Third Year of Hosting:

People should know better.
    If we just keep handing out fixes they'll never actually hire a system administrator and there's one more server waiting to be compromised that much faster.

Fourth year of hosting:

Actions speak louder than words. Do a good job and if something really irks you post somethign rude.

And the fundamental reason, we all need to satisfy our egos. Seriously though rude often gets the point across more than anything and business is cutthroat. How can one honestly expect their competition to give them trade secrets or set up their business for them. If anything the people asking for that are rude in their own right.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

Quote Originally Posted by Flammable
    Perhaps you confuse peoples freedom to speech with being rude. I personally do not notice much rudeness on the forums, just ignorance and inexperience.
    That's definitely true. But there's also a lot of people being frank and honest. It's good to be able to draw the line between rude and honest - if someone says a design sucks, then they're being rude, if they say a design could use improvement or the colors are harsh etc, then they're being honest.

I love people because we're all so clumsy and all so well intentioned. Even the worst of people believes that what they do is OK or somehow justified. Once you realize that, it's a lot easier to deal with people stepping on your toes. At the risk of sounding extremely cheesy, put on some steel toed boots.
    Joshua Simmons
    Virtual Developer
    www.v-dev.com/