hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Running a Web Hosting Business : Overture Sucks!
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

Overture Sucks!

Closed Thread Post New Thread In Running a Web Hosting Business Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Guru

Overture Sucks!

Hi all,

Well i thought i would give overture.com a go so i deposited 50 bucks in just to start out. Thinking that it was a small amount and it would be used up within a few days i was ready to see some quick results to base my next deposit.

What i have found out is that nobody even visits overture, the activity seems to be no-existent. My ranks for each keyword are around 3-10 and i have keywords such as "php web hosting", "cheap web hosting", etc. All my bids are between $1-$2 and i would consider this a generous amount for obtaining each visitor. My keywords get about 1 click every few days and in my mind that is ridiculous!

I know the positions 1-3 are advertised on network sites but to get to those positions your talking about $3-$5 per visitor and i'm not willing to pay that.

This is just my experience and i would personal warn you not to advertise with them.

http://www.hostapproval.com/hostadmin/add_your_host.php

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru

According to the overture suggestion tool:
"php web hosting" had 1201 searches last month where as "web hosting" had 443684. Even with 1200 searchs id expect you to get a few more clicks....

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Hi,

We have found Overture to be quite good over the last 12 months. The problem is all keywords are becoming very expensive. I think the term "web hosting" is around the $8 mark!

You also need to remeber that only up to the first 10 or so results are listed on some search engines and if you are i the top three you get huge amounts of exposure.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

It is fun though to search for webhosting and than click on the top 3, nice to do if your want your competitor out of business.
But you must be a real sucker (or you hate earning money) if you pay $8 dollar just to be on top.

Jacco

Old
Web Hosting Guru

its called sport clicking :-) and seems to be a popular sport..

http://www.hostapproval.com/hostadmin/add_your_host.php

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

You said it. The clicks you're getting are most likely other hosting competitors checking out the competition. You can loose money fast this way. We use them and you're right it hasn't been that great plus now they charge a monthly fee of $20. That sucks also.

Now offering SiteBuilder :: Build your site in 5 easy steps

Old
Older than the Internet

Quote:
Originally posted by vSector
its called sport clicking :-) and seems to be a popular sport..
God forbid anyone would ever do that!! http://SpamBattle.com

Old
Older than the Internet

I actually used Overture [checks - ohhhh, I'm still listed ], and it was OK when the prices were around the US$0.30 mark for my keyword. Got a fair bit of business there too but others soon spotted the keyword and it became crowded and expensive. It's up around the $4.50 mark now. They can have it for that price. My name is Billy, not silly.

Old
Peace of Mind ServerManagement

When do they call you to confirm? We've had our terms and site reviewed a week ago, but their rep still has not called us to confirm our credit card and contact info.

Sit back. Relax. Leave everything to us.
( AcuNett 24x7 Always-On Server Management Est. 12 Years, BBB A+, RateLobby Reviews )

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

AussieBob, I normally wouldn't do that, but these people deserve it. Hell, one of them popped up a window on me that would not close as I was browsing their site. I'll pass your link on.

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

NEVER GO WITH PAY-PER-CLICK SEARCH ENGINES

I went with Sprinks(www.sprinks.com) to advertise my site.

It cost me $100 just to start! And I deposited $200 for advertising money. And guess what I find in the next day....

They used about $60 of my money in just a few hours and when I check my website statistics my traffic DID NOT go up, nor did my sales. I emailed them and discovered that $50 of my money was spent on fraudelent clicks!!!!

At least they were nice about it, they refunded the $100 setup fee and the $50 in fraudelent clicks.

BUT BEWARE - PAY-PER-CLICK SEARCH ENGINES steal your money and you'd be better off paying for impressions at a web host site.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Anybody have any comments for Google.Com ?

Tried with them once and their system seems ok.

Cost per click is determined by price for keyword and % of clickthrus...

eg.. Your price is No 5 on the list ie $0.30 but if your click thru rate for your advert is high, you get to move up to say position 2 on your keyword.

Anybody else tried them ?

Or is there any better avenues for advertising for visitors ?

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

I've heard google is good, but I think they're a little expensive.

Remember, watch out for frauds. There are people out there who will click for no reason but to charge you!

Old
Junior Guru

method of distribution

Some other aspects to consider is how an engine distributes results and its' method for category-draw.

Issue one, if the engine syndicates out their results then the syndicated portion, eg. top 3 at Overture will have massively higher traffic than results further down.

Also, certain engines have better placement for given categories and this will result in high traffic quality. For example, is category appearing on a main page too broad, eg. is a typical user seeing 'web hosting' on a main entry page and visiting companies just out of interest vs. for the reason of buying. In other words, does the engine attract browsers or buyers.

http://www.findyourhosting.com

Old
Aspiring Evangelist

* we just quit overture

youre not doing much unless you hit the top 10 do that for webhosting and you will lose your donkey FAST

other popular terms same thing

we tracked depth of visits based on traffic from overture and found more than 60 % never went further than the first page with an average visit time of less than 6 secs

sport clickers

back to submitting to directories

oh boy!

Closed Thread

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted