Thread: The homepage!

The homepage!

Just wanted to get some opinions from folks!! For example, say I was thinking of operating a local targeting hosting (possible design services too) company.

For a new homepage, what would you consider the most important content for the homepage (index). What should the homepage have on it?

Thank you.

First things first, hosting plan(s) and features in the first 600 pixels of the screen!

more coming soon..
    36Host.com - reliable & affordable web hosting
    * Providing Affordable Small Business Web Hosting since 2003! *

yeah. make it clear and concise what you are offering.
    A little bit about the site also helps, but concentrate on the packages more.
    make navigating the site easy aswell.
    customers who find it hard to find their way around a site, will usually just click off the site.
    http://www.licensetohost.com
    Giving Your website a good home!

Keep it clean and professional, don't clutter it up with too much junk.

If anything just have your specials on the homepage.
    Right Servers Inc. - Fully Managed VPS and Fully Managed Bare Metal Servers in US & Canada. We want to empower entrepreneurs to grow their business, not their IT headaches. Managed is better.
    High Availability | SSD | DirectAdmin & Softaculous | Daily Backups |Firewall & Security |30 Day Money Back Guarantee

I have two suggestions for you that have worked well for me (your mileage may vary):

1). Don't put pricing information on the front page
    2). Give people enough on the front page to want to look at the detail on the rest of your site (whet their appetite)

I too am a firm believer in keeping it clean and simple. I`ve never been one for gory flash adverts and gif animations.

Of all the sites I`ve been browsing for some ideas (not to copy) I like the simplicity of Dathorn`s website http://www.dathorn.com . I like to think I`m reasonably competent in css/xhtml design, so I wouldn`t be using a template. Besides, I think many of the templates are too tacky!

So, a brief company introduction, what services we provide and maybe a hint at the pricing structure? and of course a good nav structure for getting around?

The homepage is so important, in getting potential customers to look around.

I just discovered this. When redisigning our website, I moved the domain search too below in the page, and I too few clients found it.

We just moved it up again and sales are up. Seems users expect to see this right away.
    This may be too basic for some of you, but I hope it helps.

haha winagin, thats funny you wouldnt think it would be that drastic though

Quote Originally Posted by Ariel74
    1). Don't put pricing information on the front page
    I would disagree with that. I like to see pricing upfront, and you see a lot of the large hosts with the price very predominant on the main page.

But each to his own.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob
    I would disagree with that. I like to see pricing upfront, and you see a lot of the large hosts with the price very predominant on the main page.

But each to his own.

Likewise, when comparing companies I hate having to dig around for the information I'm looking for. Having the price on the main page makes it simple.
    GotPing Internet
    www.gotping.com

Quote Originally Posted by gmalz33
    haha winagin, thats funny you wouldnt think it would be that drastic though
    Yes, simple things can have that efect. We moved it because we were including a new copy by a SEO company to help our rankings. Just goes to show you that design and content should work together for best results

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bob

But each to his own.
    Well, if your main selling point is price, then you're right.

I like to see prices on the homepage too. From a potential customer's view, I kinda feel like, "What is there to hide? They must be really expensive or they would've shown their prices on the front !"

And make it super easy to navigate, I've been to some hosts' web sites and when I feel like I dunno what's going on or where to go to find things I would just leave.

Hope it helps on good luck on your web site !
    Freelance designer + full time day dreamer

I'd agree with Shiro that prices should be in the site, but not necessarily in the home page.
    But if your importat info is not one click away from the home page, then it's too hidden.