Thread: Business Name.

Business Name.

I am planning on starting a web hosting business, I've been researching this for just over 2 months now. I believe I have a good grasp on what I need to start out, I've learnt a lot from these forums. Hopefully enough to make me succeed .

The only problem that I've had so far is picking a business name, I know it sounds silly but I'm not sure as for what to use. If you have any ideas or suggestions on keywords to have in the name please post here or PM me (PM preferably so the domain does not go missing ).

I'm going to be offering shared hosting, personal and business (mostly aimed towards businesses). I don't have any package ideas lined up (for ex. can't call myself 77 host, or something like that, because I do not offer plans ending in $0.77. etc.).

Any help is welcomed, and thanks again to all for helping me, I plan to post here often in the future.

p.s - I do not need anyone saying that this is a tough business, I've had my fair share of people tell me this, and i'm ready to take a risk

-Michael

Try something not directly related with host or hosting on the domain name.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Honestly, if someone comes up with a good domain, odds are they'll keep it for themselves...

The domain should reprent your beliefs or something unique to you. thats what sets companys apart. Put some time into it, it doesn't need to have the words 'web', 'hosting/host' or anything like that. Think of all of the unique names you see on WHT. Just make sure its memorable. Try some namespinners as well, those can get the ideas flowing.

I think picking the name is the most difficult part, especially when it comes to available domain names. Spend some time, try some things out. Anything real obvious will likely be taken, but be a little creative and play on words without making it incomprehensible.

The name generators are somewhat useful, but don't rely on them soley... maybe just use them for some inspiration. I've also used lists of expiring domain names to see if something good comes available... often just look for 3 or 4 character domains.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    Try something not directly related with host or hosting on the domain name.

This coming from someone whose domain is downtownhost . lol. Thanks for the advice, now that I look at some of the names of hosting companys, not many hosts actually have host/hosting/web in there names. (for ex. Site 5 and 1and1).

Thanks Again,

-Michael

Exactly. Sometimes it can be good to pick a name like xxxhost.com but if it's just a fly by name, forget it.

I see so many UGLY xxxhosting.com names and wonder how they are able to stay in business for x amount of years with that kind of name, and if they really do have customers. There really is no creativity in it.

The name is so important, as it is your image and will be your image for the life of your business.
    Choose something interesting.
    Think to yourself, if I were to run a commercial on TV or Radio, how would my name come across to viewers?

"------Right now, get 600MB's of disk space and 100GB of bandwidth at FLIPTHESCRIPTHOSTING.COM. Don't miss it!" or BusiHost.com. BAD BAD BAD!

Some of these names sound like they were thought up on the toilet by someone who just wanted to jump into the hosting game overnight.

If this is something you plan on taking part in for a very long time, any domain with the name "hosting" in it, just won't cut it.
    Do you plan to branch out and offer other services?

Make sure your name is something you clearly thought out and are really ready to do business with.

How about your name, what is your name? Use your initials.com or some combination of the sort. micmuz.com? lol micpirate.com? lol j/k

When I started, I went with WebNET Internet. I really didn't like the name, because it didn't fit what I planned on doing in the long run, and it did not fit MY image, but it sounded PROFESSIONAL.
    I have rebranded myself into EGGHEADZ, and it took me a long time to get here, and I am very happy with it.

I ran the name and the font logo by some friends and co-workers, and their reaction was: what's EGGHEADZ, what do you do? It peaked their curiosity.
    Also when deciding on your image, what kind of font are you going to use that will fit your image on paper? A lot of companies have no personalized font, becuse they use so-called business looking templates that won't accept persoalized fonts, just the old normal Arial typeface.
    That really doesn't set them apart and gives no look into their creativity.

Trust me, I find it very interesting that people use Photoshop to edit templates, but can't get creative with their fonts.

These are things you need to think about. Be different. Be creative. Be yourself, not what the world wants you to be, and you will be successful.
    In the end, no one can choose your name, it has to be something YOU choose and are happy with.
    Last edited by Urban Hitz Radio-NY; 05-09-2006 at 01:34 AM.

Wow, thanks for that, I was also thinking that I probably do not want to add host into this because I also do web design, I currently have a web design company but that name won't fit into hosting. (riotwaredesign). RiotwareHost would not work and same with RiotwareHosting. Just too long, and the name just clashes when you say it out loud.

I'm going to take some time with this, and work on a name up to my launch. I'm going to work on finishing the site design, and packages, and support. And in the end I'll adjust all the content to fit the new name.

Thanks again for your help

Michael

My selection for business name came before I was doing hosting. I transitioned the business model into hosting last August. We am still confused for a law firm from time to time. Just adds a new dynamic to everything.
    Aaron J. Graves
    President
    AJ Graves & Associates
    http://www.ajgraves.com/

Well, your name gets people thinking. I look at the name and I'm like, I wonder what ajgraves does.
    It does "look" as if you are a law firm by the Associates in your name, but great identity!
    With the domain name ajgraves.com, you could be a bunch of things under one roof. That's creativity.

IMO getting the right domain (brand) is probably one of the most difficult aspects of business. Then you need to secure all the relevant space around that brand. That's an artform in itself. I would say most get this horribly wrong, and they suffer down the track.

I like one word brands, and not xxxxhosting.com etc. They're just so meaningless and void of any brand potential, imo.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Quote Originally Posted by @eggheadz.com
    The name is so important, as it is your image and will be your image for the life of your business.
    Choose something interesting.
    Think to yourself, if I were to run a commercial on TV or Radio, how would my name come across to viewers?
    No offence, but maybe you need to ask yourself that question? Your 'EGGHEADZ' brand does not bode well for TV, radio or word of mouth. That's a branding sin, with the "Z" on the end there.

Make it short, sweet, and memorable.
    You might want to purchase typos for the domain as well, and redirect them to your main page.

I came up with swizi by thinking "what's short, funny, and weird?" and I listened to some of the new music (sadly, rap) and hear them saying shizzle and all that rubbish, and somehow I came up with swizi. Makes no sense, but there you go.

That's just me, you might want to come up with your own.

An idea:
    dogley.com
    Recommended: Stablehost, Hivelocity, Fused

I would prefer a domain name that sound fresh and brandable.

Quote Originally Posted by muzicpirate
    This coming from someone whose domain is downtownhost . lol. Thanks for the advice, now that I look at some of the names of hosting companys, not many hosts actually have host/hosting/web in there names. (for ex. Site 5 and 1and1).

Thanks Again,

-Michael

Yes, its comming from someone who choose that name more than 5 years ago.
    Last edited by Jedito; 05-10-2006 at 01:39 AM.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

You seem to have a partial decision allready made that you will avoid xxhost and such. Other popular (uh oh) trends are to use the "exxx" format which I believe has been overdone, then there is also "ixxx". you could use other terms like media, byte or tech / scientific sounding names.

Then again you could go the google - yaoo and such route, and get a catchy name

AussieBob is on point with branding. If you can't brand, you are just another host. Something that helps is using domain name generators like enom.com. Choose the domain you want and just put it in there and see what other choices and word variations that it provides you. Work from there.
    [B]KYLE ARNETT | New York City, N.Y.

Make up a word, that's what my two year old did for me. Got kids, asking them. They are the future Internet users.
    Squiggout: Exchange 2010, Sharepoint, Comunication Server, CRM, Server Instances, Reseller Hosting, and Shared Hosted.

Silly name serious solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Squiggout
    Make up a word . . .
    Yes, something that's easy to spell and remember etc. There's probably hundreds of future mega brands, that haven't even been registered yet. They're like gold under the dirt - you just have to dig a little to find them, but they're there.

/me looks to see if "goldunderthedirt.com" is taken....
    Your one stop shop for decentralization