Website Pictures?

I know that some datacenters post commercial photos of their datacenter and the facilities on their web sites. When the facility the have is entirely different than what it looks like in the pictures on the web page. Personally I feel that I would rather see a datacenter that is not as nice, but the real datacenter that I am going to be renting equipment from etc. Than to have the web page look like it is dressed to the 9’s, and later find out that the equipment is in a datacenter that is not so good.

Thoughts?

Equipment is equipment is equipment. Whether there is a nice ficus and a non-sterotypical geek in the picture will not change the performance of the equipment.

That said. Marketing is marketing is marketing.

I haven't seen too many datacenter's post commercial (stock) pics, more rather webhosts that aren't trying to use the same images as their DC uses. At times, equipment might be hidden where you can't see it, then I could see someone using corporate pics, but most facilities that I know of either use their own DC pics, or none at all.
    Matthew McCormick
    Director of Customer Care
    www.caro.net
    mmccormick@carohosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Equipment is equipment is equipment. Whether there is a nice ficus and a non-sterotypical geek in the picture will not change the performance of the equipment.

That said. Marketing is marketing is marketing.
    err..... I am going to disagree with you.

The quality of a datacenter absolutely can / should be taken into consideration. If you have a sloppy DC likely your cutting corners on proper power, cooling, airflow etc.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

Quote Originally Posted by CoolRaul
    err..... I am going to disagree with you.

The quality of a datacenter absolutely can / should be taken into consideration. If you have a sloppy DC likely your cutting corners on proper power, cooling, airflow etc.
    I don't believe you're going to be able to tell those things from a website picture.

Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I don't believe you're going to be able to tell those things from a website picture.
    No, but I think he's referring to something like your core routers / sensitive equipment being placed in special enclosed areas vs. laying on a concrete floor

But you're right, most DC's won't post negative pictures either.
    Matthew McCormick
    www.caro.net

Are people really interested in seeing pictures of the datacenter?
    Ilya, eBoundHost
    ilya (at) eBoundHost (dot) com
    847-436-4678

Quote Originally Posted by ilyabern
    Are people really interested in seeing pictures of the datacenter?
    Not realy, most would rather come here and ask about a host instead.

Agreed most would come here and ask about the host, get mixed results from pretty much any host, settle on the lowest price provider, come back and complain and ask about new hosts wash, rinse, repeat.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

What I think is a bigger 'problem' is when a very small host has pictures of 'their' data center that are taken from the site of whatever facility they're in. Even ignoring the potential issues with copyright infringement, it gives a false impression about the 'size' of the place: the company might be reselling on one server, but the picture suggests that they have thousands of photos.

I'm not sure it should necessarily be prohibited, but it is kind of misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by PhMatt
    I haven't seen too many datacenter's post commercial (stock) pics, more rather webhosts that aren't trying to use the same images as their DC uses. At times, equipment might be hidden where you can't see it, then I could see someone using corporate pics, but most facilities that I know of either use their own DC pics, or none at all.
    http://www.fortressitx.com/index.php?tpl=products

standard stock photos there

includes the same chick that graced the front of steadfast's page for the longest time

Quote Originally Posted by WireSix
    http://www.fortressitx.com/index.php?tpl=products

standard stock photos there

includes the same chick that graced the front of steadfast's page for the longest time
    I was referring specifically to the pages dedicated to ones' network or facility equipment pictures, rather than images used throughout the site more or less for filler content. Other sites of ours that are promoted do utilize our own DC pics and equipment, and the new site design includes better overall pics of everything.
    Matthew McCormick
    www.caro.net

Ever hear of"belive half of what you see and some of what you hear"?