Web Hosting Issues

Alright. I am currently new to the whole web hosting from your own server. I am currently trying to get into website design and I am wanting to setup my own web server. I am currently running Windows XP Pro with IIS.

I have heard from people that Apache, Abyss, and IIS are all good was to go to host. What I am looking for is the best one and one that if and when I buy my domain will be easy to setup.

I currently have a Dynamic DNS. I want to be able to set it up to run my test website until I decide what i want for my actual .com name.

Can someone please tell me what would be the easiest way to do this and possibly the detailed instructions on how to set it up.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Newbee (QWERTYtech)

First off, welcome to WHT.
    Secondly, I would suggest the ever popular Apache Web Server.

Why would u suggest Apache? Can it support multiple websites?

Go for Apache, even the main Microsoft web site used Apache (not sure if they still use it)
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    Go for Apache, even the main Microsoft web site used Apache (not sure if they still use it)
    Microsoft's site is built around ASP, so I really doubt that they used Apache even when there were tools publicly avalible to allow it to (slowly) manage ASP.

You can run ASP on Apache too. However, they probably change it (it was a long time ago=, I remember that I read the news in slashdot or a place like that.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYtech
    Why would u suggest Apache? Can it support multiple websites?
    Yes it can.

As your new and all to webhosting from home pc's, i would reccommend heading to http://apache2triad.net/ and using Apache2Triad. It is a self installer that installs php, cgi, apache, mail servers, ftp servers, MySQL servers. And it configures it all on its own. Plus its popular, so the forums are busy with support at hand.

Regards
    Amar

Quote Originally Posted by QWERTYtech
    I have heard from people that Apache, Abyss, and IIS are all good was to go to host. What I am looking for is the best one and one that if and when I buy my domain will be easy to setup.

I currently have a Dynamic DNS. I want to be able to set it up to run my test website until I decide what i want for my actual .com name.
    Newbee (QWERTYtech)

As you have said you have IIS installed already. Its pretty easy to setup a website with IIS as everything is graphical. Just read help and follow the steps.

As far as apache is concerned there are pre-compiled configurations available. You can simple copy them to a folder and apache, IIS,PHP are configured automatically and ready to go. Just go to sourceforge.net and you will find plenty.

XAMPP one such and very popular tool.
    http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

I think it also depends on the web language you will be using. If your doing .net or coldfusion I would go with IIS, and if your doing PHP then go with Apache.

You will find that when you come to buy a dedicated server, or shared hosting for your websites, that Linux (Apache) servers will be slihtly cheaper due to Microsoft's licensing fees.

Oh, and if your doing it on your own PC, I would be very tempted to run it on a Virtual server like Virtual PC or VM Ware, especially for testing and the like (although thats just my anal way of doing things )

Thank you very much for the help everyone.

I actually have a dedicated machine that i built solely for my server.

I have now downloaded Apache2triad and installed the software. No im in the midst of setting it up and I am completely lost on how to setup all of the software. The part that is really over my head is the whole XMail.

To give yall some idea about my internet connection, its coming from my DSL modem to my Netgear router and then splits to go to my desktop and my server.

I don't know if y'all will need that to help me any.

Once again I greatly appreciate everyone for the help.

The Newbee

On a Windows server, you're much better off using IIS. On anything else, Apache.

See http://www.dslwebserver.com/and http://www.diywebserver.com for help and try the free http://www.mailenable.com for email server. MainEnable is easy to set up and worked pretty good last time I tried it.

I've ran Apache on Win2k for years and it works fine. Some problems you might have on Windows is with scripts that require sendmail and dont have an option for smtp host for sending out emails.

+ NOW WE'RE MAKING RECORDS, NOW WE'RE MAKING TAPES

Quote Originally Posted by Jedito
    You can run ASP on Apache too. However, they probably change it (it was a long time ago=, I remember that I read the news in slashdot or a place like that.
    I think your thinking of hotmail.com which until they were "outted" by the Wall Street Journal, were using FreeBSD/Apache.