Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can no longer UPLOAD files/pages..... stumped???

Hello one and all,
    I am not a host... I am simply here because the majority of those here on this forum ARE Hosts.... I need help with my dilemma desperately.
    I will not (for now) mention my Hosting service, as it is not as yet relevant.

In early Feb '06 I joined a Hosting service, they offered a good amount of both Drive space and Bandwidth for a very attractive price. The country that I reside in is nowhere as cheap as the USA or many other perts of the world.... in fact for what I am getting from the Host that I originally chose (my current Host) is in effect 6-8 times more - of Space/Bandwidth than I could get from similar Hosting Co's in my own country, which would cost almost 4 times as much... hence I joined up.

Approx 3 weeks after being with this overseas Hosting company, I FINALLY began to upload my site (I had a very close relative pass away which is why it took so long to get started), I had some UPLOADING issues that requied the input of my new Host. I sat on thier Hosting page and patiently waited for a reply from their 'ONLINE DIRECT CHAT HELP'. I waited for 3 damn hours.... then I decided to email them - also no reply. I returned to their site and placed a request for a SUPPORT TICKET... alas.... nothing... not even 12 hours later. Even after ALL THIS TIME (4+ months) no reply both to the initial ONLINE CHAT, the email(s) or the REQUEST TICKET.

Being an Audio engineer and having some nouse.... I was able to sort out those initial issues myself - so UP UNTIL NOW... all has worked beautifully. My site has almost been completely uploaded, And I was getting around 2-3000 hits per day... THAT is where this story gets worse!

On thursday the 13th April, I was doing some uploading of files in the exact same manner that I usually would.... suddenly I noticed that 'changes' that I had made to previously posted pages - were not displaying as per the changes that I had made... there was something wrong. I tried other changes to several other pages.... same result - no difference.

I have not overloaded their servers, nor gone against ANY of thier T.O.S. rules. I just cannot fathom what happened. I figured that 'IF' this Hosting Co. had gone belly-up thier site would be offline... and possibly mine also..... yet this is not the case. I have tried sending them another few emails AND tried to connect via the 'ONLINE CHAT FOR HELP'.... nothing.... nada.

PLEASE people.... if someone here knows what is causing this - please respond.

I must advise you that the hosting service that I am with - has posted many threads on this forum.... (although I am not completely sure if he is a member) hence Stealth on my behalf is essential.

In advance I thank you all for listening.

Are you FTPing using your hostname or IP address?
    Try FTPing using your domain name as the FTP Host/IP.
    Voxtreme - Revolutionizing Hosting since 2001
    Visit us today! http://voxtreme.com

Continued from above...

I must also make mention that I have tried changing the way in which I upload my files.... I WAS going directly into my 'cPanel' and uploading from my PC - into 'File Manager' via 'public_html /'.... I CHANGED this uploading direction and tried uplosading via FTP.... again - no go.

ERRATA: I just this moment checked via my 'WEB STATS' - it has only taken readings from FEB 2nd - to APRIL 14th..... this is distressing seeing as my site is still online and visable.

Lol.... why didn't I chose Web Hosting instead of Audio Engineering in my education.....

Again... if you can help - please respond.
    CHEERS.

Have you looked at the source code of the pages you have changed in an ftp client or the file manager? The files may have changed and you are seeing cached pages in your web browser.. you should at least check that. Also check your disk space isn't all used up, as you can't write new files if there is no disk space left.

Thanks Vox...

Quote Originally Posted by VoxDylan
    Are you FTPing using your hostname or IP address?
    Try FTPing using your domain name as the FTP Host/IP.
    When I used FTP for uploading... it was when I was within my cPanel. I have not tried using my Hosts name to upload... I was unaware that this could be done. I do have AceFTP Pro v3... when I use this FTP uploader it asks for both a 'user name' AND an IP address.... where do I obtain my Hosts IP address from???

Cheers.

Reply to DigitalN

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalN
    Have you looked at the source code of the pages you have changed in an ftp client or the file manager? The files may have changed and you are seeing cached pages in your web browser.. you should at least check that. Also check your disk space isn't all used up, as you can't write new files if there is no disk space left.
    Here are some of my cPanel Stats:

Disk usage63.55 MegabytesSQL Disk usage0.00 MegabytesDisk space available4936.45 MegabytesBandwidth usage (current month)153.17 MegabytesEmail Accounts0 / 100Email Forwarders0Auto-responders0Mailing Lists0 / 100Email filters0Ftp Accounts0 / 100

My usage is minimal. I have not as yet checked my Source Code.... although I am sure it is correct. As I mentioned above 'Digi' - I have NOT had any stats on my site since April 14th........

where do I obtain my Hosts IP address from???
    It should be listed in your control panel or maybe the sign up email ..

Try

Start > Run > type cmd > ping your_domain.com

or

Start > Run > type cmd > nslookup your_domain.com

Assuming you run windows.

I have not as yet checked my Source Code.... although I am sure it is correct.
    I'd check that first.

reply DigitalN

I pinged my Host..... averaged out at 335ms

Source Code....

Here are some of my 'Meta Tags' within the Head......

<META http-equiv="Page-Enter" content="revealTrans(Duration=5,Transition=12)">
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    <meta name="MSSmartTagsPreventParsing" content="true" />
    <meta name="distribution" content="Global" />
    <meta name="rating" content="General" />
    <meta name="expires" content="Never" />
    <meta name="robots" content="Index, Follow" />
    <meta name="revisit-after" content="30 Days" />

Meta Tags continued...

I should add that most of my pages have those Meta Tags in the Head. The Source Code I have not changed - unless files have been swapped/changed... but those I have not added via HTML.... only by placing the files onto the page within my Site Builder (FrontPage).

Quote Originally Posted by FUTURE FX
    I pinged my Host..... averaged out at 335ms
    PING should show you the IP address it's querying...that was the point he was making with that suggestion.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Thank you Bear

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    PING should show you the IP address it's querying...that was the point he was making with that suggestion.
    As I made mention of in my 1st post.... I am trying to use Stealth and not to announce my Host provider. I thought it was obvious that after giving my Hosts PING responce (335ms) that I had obtained the IP address. I myself know MY IP address... I am sure that should my Host (a regular poster on this forum) be online... here and viewing this post, that he himself could see his IP address if I were to type it here.

I thank you Bear for your input.
    CHEERS

Strange....

I find it strange that not one of you - that has tried helping me (of which I am truly thankful for) - has said or asked anything of my Hosts lack of responce or contact with me. Is it common practice for a Host - whom by the way boasts 'untimate back-up service' and '99.9% UPTIME', to leave a customer in such limbo???

Keep in mind here that from very shortly after I paid for the service I was unable to make ANY contact with him/them.

It's just not good business in my view.

Maybe I can tell you this much....

Ok... so I do not want to necessarily BAG (bad mouth) my Hosting service by providing their Web Address.... yet I can tell you that the owner, or one of them - who is a regular here goes by the WebHostingTalk 'screen name' of ChrisCWS. Hopefully if he does see this/these posts he may contact me and HELP MEEEE.

Ok... getting a wee bit frusrated....

Does THIS offer any clues.... anyone???

Errata

My mistake.... should this forum be 'case sensative' his 'screen name' is chrisCSW. I also noticed that under his screen name it says 'disabled'.... does this suggest that he was turfed... or simply that he has not been here for sometime?

Dsiabled means he can't contact you through the board, but we can't discuss why. Could have been any number of reasons. I don't see a user "chrisCSW" however.

As for the host's lack of response? That's unacceptable, in my opinion. I'd suggest you try and find another provider that will support your needs, and answer your questions in a timely manner. Plenty of them out there that would fit this condition.
    Last edited by bear; 04-25-2006 at 11:11 AM.

Errata (2)

make that 'chrisCWS'

Thanks again Bear...

I am a little concerned with changing Hosts WITHOUT his reply or responce to my emails. Can he gridlock my files making them unretrievable should I do what you suggest.... or does it seem as though he is simply not worried about loosing custom?

This is nil about the money... I could give a Fat Rats *** about that.... I am more concerned about the months and months of time invested in building my site by both myself and my team....

For those interested...

If it may help any of you by viewing my Source Code to see IF there is a mistake... my site is here: futurefx DOT COMM DOT AU

That is obviously wrong... yet not sure if I can post a site address here. Just do not want to rock the Mods apple cart.

Cheers

Do you have a local copy of your site?
    Do you have control over your own domain registration?
    It's all you need to move, unless you're using any databases. You signup at the new host, upload all your files, change the domain registration to point to the new server, done.
    Within a day or two, the information will have updated to all the nameservers on the net, and you're all set.

That easy..........

Yeee Hawww..... thank you Bear. You have made my day. Thank F**K. I was so damned concerned about this.... sheesh... I haven't slept in 2 days. SLEEP... yippie... lol.

Ohh... lol... to answer... Yes... I have a complete back up of my entire site... and yesum... my Domain name is with a LOCAL Co.

See... now if you were in the room here now... I would give you a big hug (lol... in the MANLIEST of ways... hahaha).

I just advised my 2IC.... he is extatic.

Cheers buddy.

lol... "BUT" says my 2IC.....

My 2IC just said... "yes... that is fantastic news... yet can't the remaining 8+ months left on our Hosting account be forwarded to the NEW Host" I suppose he has a point... I mean, it was not OUR fault perse' - what do you suggest here Bear???

(again.... it is not and never WAS about the money..... but he does have a valid point)

Btw....

Does that 'screen name' chrisCWS ring any bells.... can you think of who this is/was... or the Hosting Company he is from???

Well, I doubt your new host would honor the existing contract, but you never know. I've done this for clients here (no, I'm not soliciting your business), and wound up with long term customers as a result.
    That user does exist and appears to be banned. Beyond that I can't discuss it.

Thank you Bear

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Well, I doubt your new host would honor the existing contract, but you never know. I've done this for clients here (no, I'm not soliciting your business), and wound up with long term customers as a result.
    That user does exist and appears to be banned. Beyond that I can't discuss it.
    lol... I think that we BOTH know that this guy is bad for the Hosting business in general. I am already looking at alternatives.

As for your help in the business sence - I did not ask of it (that is for the mods... yet it is true), although I would appreciate knowing your companies address so as 'I' can view it myself???

Bear... I also found out only moments ago - that (stuff it.... I am going to name them) HOSTNEXXIS from Ottawa Ca. (not to be confused with HOSTNEXUS from Melbourne Aus.) are in fact resellers of web space. MY site is on the EV1 servers. Humph.... so much for HIS big noting his company.... saying that THEY (HostNexxis) have "state of the art servers".... misleading yet again.

Again Thank You Bear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast