Thread: Ethernet Driver

Ethernet Driver

My friend's laptop harddrive died (Dell Inspiron 600m), so he had Dell ship him a new HD and OS CD. After I installed Windows, there were a few drivers missing from Device Manager. I was able to install all of them off of the Windows CD with the exception of the "Ethernet Controller" driver. I have the same laptop myself, and tried finding the driver on my original Windows CD, but to no avail. I also tried downloading the drivers for the only two ethernet cards that may be on the model, but neither of those worked either. Any ideas as to what's wrong here? His ethernet jack worked before the new HD was put in - Is there any way to transfer the driver from my laptop to his? Thanks!

With most Dell's the drivers are on a different CD than the OS. Are you certain you downloaded the correct drivers? Even when you supply the service tag of the unit Dell has the nasty habit of listing many drivers for download that do not function with your unit.
    "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them." - Thomas Paine

backup your

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers folder on a CD

Then on your friend laptop, try to add the hardware and prompt windows to find the driver on that CD. Sometimes it works
    Kind regards

Found someone online who had the same issue and posted his solution (involved downloading a driver directly from Broadcom's site, different driver than Dell's site had), but my won't be able to bring me his computer for a week or so. His wireless works fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    Found someone online who had the same issue and posted his solution (involved downloading a driver directly from Broadcom's site, different driver than Dell's site had), but my won't be able to bring me his computer for a week or so. His wireless works fine though.
    If that doesnt work, let me know. I will package up the driver and send it to you.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.