Criminals using cash to negotiate less jail time?

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/n...274582&k=18414

You may recall 2 years ago of a thread here talking about Louise Russo - a (then) 44 year old mother of 3 who was the unfortunate recipient of a stray bullet during a botched gang-style driveby shooting. The bullet hit her spine paralyzing her for life.

Yesterday, they announced the sentence for the 5 defendants involved in the shooting. The sentences ranged from 3 to 12 years. And on top of the jail terms, the 5 men are to personally pay Louise Russo $2 Million as restitution.

This story leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. In spite of the fact that Mr. Justice David Watt rejected any suggestion that the financial payout resulted in "softer sentences", I don't believe him. Crown Prosecutor Donna Armstrong even said that the deal was the result of "lengthy and involved negotiations" between the Crown and defence. What does that tell you? Negotiations?? Last time I checked, that meant offering something to get something back in return.

This whole thing just smacks of corruption, and ultimately, in lack of justice for this poor woman Louise Russo.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Was there adaquate evidents to completely convict all of them?
    Sarcasm, the 6th Ponyman of the Apocalypse.
    Please do not inquire about Tim, the 5th Ponyman.

Putting them in prison for life won't help Louise, but if "the 5 men are to personally pay Louise Russo $2 Million as restitution" would surely be a help to her and her carers, no?

Yes, there was ample evidence to convict them. And yes, financial restitution of $2 Mil will surely go a lot farther than the maximum $25,000 that she received from the government funded Victim Compensation Fund. But it really rubs me the wrong way to think that these criminals got leaner sentences by buying their way out. IMO, the 2 issues are mutually exclusive. The payout should have never been part of the "negotiations" when determining jail term.

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

But what's best for the victim though? And how many more years would they have gotten? I don't know about Canada, but in the US that's about the right setence for that kind of crime. In a perfect world we would all want them to rot in jail for life and the victim be adaquately taken care of, but that's a perfect world. The $2M is really gonna go a long way for the victim, esp if the government doesn't tax the hell out of it.

I agree. But my point is that they should have gotten maximun (unnegotiated jail term), and then still be forced to pay financial restitution. The issue I have with this is that the payout likely reduced their jail time.

Vito

I have a feeling the money turned up mysteriously after they signed the papers though. They've been trying to get all of OJ's money for what, more than a decade now? I think he still got a ton hidden somewhere, and the dude's a high profile case. It'll be a miracle if you could collect more than $100,000 from them unwillingly. I'm assuming there were something like escrow that was set up and the deal being contingence on the money actually coming though.

Quote Originally Posted by vito
    I agree. But my point is that they should have gotten maximun (unnegotiated jail term), and then still be forced to pay financial restitution. The issue I have with this is that the payout likely reduced their jail time.

Vito
    I agree with you Vito, 2 million divided by 5 isn't good enough. That's 400 000 for each of them, it should at least be higher.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed hosting solutions / AS63447
    Web Hosting, VPS Hosting, Dedicated Servers

Vito
    How would they find and repay 2million if they were in jail for 25 years or so? If they are low lives, repaying a 2 million loan would be a life sentence

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse
    How would they find and repay 2million if they were in jail for 25 years or so? If they are low lives, repaying a 2 million loan would be a life sentence
    Yep that's what I thought also, if they put them longer chances are they won't be able to give her that 2 million but 400 000 per person is nothing for what they did to this women, let them pay 800 000 and work their asses off to get the money.

How will they work to get that money though? They might just go rob a bank.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyTigger
    How will they work to get that money though? They might just go rob a bank.
    A long prison term would be best to avoid all the confusion, you're right they could kill and rob other people to get this money.

As per all the reports on this case, all of the defendants have a long history in crime. So it is very probable that they are all "flush" with money (albeit "blood" money). All you have to do is consider that this driveby hit was a result of an uncollected $240,000 gambling debt. That should tell you straight away about the level that these guys deal in. Big time money. They ain't hurtin', that's for sure. Note: This is money they already have to pay Mrs. Russo. It is not "future earnings".

Vito

Additional comment: If I ran the country, they would get the following sentence:

- Maximum (unnegotiated) jail term
    - All personal assets seized. Half goes to Mrs. Russo, the other half goes into the province's Victim Compensation Fund to help other victims.

Vito

Quote Originally Posted by J-P
    A long prison term would be best to avoid all the confusion, you're right they could kill and rob other people to get this money.
    That wouldn't work, they aren't skilled labor, it'll take forever to come up with 800,000 and it's very costly to keep them in prison during that duration.

In the US, our inmates make like less than $20 a day and it cost us at least $30,000/yr to keep them in a minimum security prison.

But Mrs Russo wasn't their target. So I am not sure why you are hell bent on maximum jail terms for an "accidental" infliction of severe injury. Had she died even, the one who actually fired the shot would have been up for (wo)manslaughter only. I am not sure what that sentence is worth over there, but over here it aint much.

But Mrs Russo wasn't their target. So I am not sure why you are hell bent on maximum jail terms for an "accidental" infliction of severe injury. Had she died even, the one who actually fired the shot would have been up for (wo)manslaughter only. I am not sure what that sentence is worth over there, but over here it aint much.
    Agreed, she wasn't the target. But here's my point -

It goes without saying that I do not condone any attempts to murder someone. But if you're going to "whack" someone mob-style for some unpaid gambling debt, then find him, take him into some alley, and do your thing. Instead, they chose to do a driveby. Spraying a sandwich shop with bullets demonstrates an obvious and blatent disregard for human life in general. They (should) know full well that firing a slew of bullets at a shop in midday while driving by in a car will very likely hit some innocent bystanders. This is unconscienable and should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

I really feel for this woman, particularly given my circumstances of late. For 4 months, I have been immobile. Since I broke my ankle just before Xmas, I have been in a cast and have had to get around on crutches. It has severely compromised my way of life, and performing daily tasks (that we all otherwise take for granted) has been difficult if not impossible. By comparison, I can only imagine what this poor woman will have to endure for the rest of her life.

My heart bleeds for her. Ergo my draconian and severe suggestions for punishment.

Vito

Wow, I am shocked the way your putting that, as VITO stated this is blatent disregard of human life, showing the mentality of the criminals. Max prison - even death sentence for these types of lowlives I would say. Then confiscate all their properties - calculate restitution (really impossible) - remaining amount of property into a public fund.

And they say Americans are desensitized to violence...
    Doyle Lewis
    BuyHTTP Internet Services - In business since 2003
    Business Hosting | nginx, CloudLinux, Varnish cache, and CDP with every business account
    Shared, Reseller, Semi Dedicated, VPS, Cloud, Dedicated - We can grow with you

Money talks and people listen. It's the only true universal language.

Vito,

The thing is if they weren't paying her directly they'd be trying to get in with someone higher up whose corrupt. Money talks. It's a sad, sad situation that even officials (or victims in this weird case) would accept the same for a 'lesser sentence'.

They did spray the entire shop with bullets -- I'd have to say that's pretty wreckless and if they didn't intend to kill everyone they certainly did a good job of trying.

Putting them in prison for life won't help Louise, but if "the 5 men are to personally pay Louise Russo $2 Million as restitution" would surely be a help to her and her carers, no?
    I have to agree with this. Maybe Louise asked for $ in return for lower sentencing. On a "Law and Order" show I saw, there was a guy who had a certain type of STD that killed somone after xxx days. Anyways, some guy killed the one with the STD because he was spreading them, and the dad of the STD guy said that he doesnt want the killer to be punished because he saved other people's lives. I guess you can forgive, but you have to pay.

Additional comment: If I ran the country, they would get the following sentence:

- Maximum (unnegotiated) jail term
    - All personal assets seized. Half goes to Mrs. Russo, the other half goes into the province's Victim Compensation Fund to help other victims.

Vito
    Since they evidently have this kind of money, they should also be forced to pay their own prison terms (minimum $30K per year). I think anyone convicted of such a crime that is shown to have the kind of money should be required to pay for their own prison time. Although I think if that was allowed, prisons would suddenly say it costs $60K or more per year per inmate, but either way it would help take some burden off the taxpayer.