hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Resources Help: What does this mean?

Forum Jump

Resources Help: What does this mean?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 04:44 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Resources Help: What does this mean?

Quote:
What are the resrouce limits for each of the hosting categories?

* Budget resellers may not use more than 1% CPU daily, run more than 8 simultaneous processes per user or allow any process to run for longer than 15 CPU seconds. Databases are limited to 8 max user connections.

* Advanced resellers may not use more than 2% CPU daily, run more than 16 simultaneous processes per user or allow any process to run for longer than 30 CPU seconds. Databases are limited to 16 max user connections.

* Premium resellers may not use more than 3% CPU daily, run more than 24 simultaneous processes or allow any process to run for longer than 45 CPU seconds. Databases are limited to 24 max user connections.
-
What do these answers mean and how do I know what my sites will use?

~Entrepreneur at heart~ Pm me.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Web Hosting Master

Cool

It's the limits for their plans (probably a budget host).
It boils down to how CPU intensive your client's apps are and probably no Cron jobs that would take longer than that many seconds to execute (or other scripting operations) and on the low-end plan if they have a forum or a program that uses a database you can't have more than 8 users on at once. But It's not clear if that's for your entire reseller account or each resold database.
Don't know the host or the pricing but they may have crowded servers, VPS or whatever with limited resources, or just have a lower powered server for the # of accounts they put on it.
At any rate they are limiting how much CPU you can use, and how many simultaneous database connections. So if you have static sites with no databases or very limited use databases you can pick the plan accordingly. But with these type restrictions I'd be a bit leery.
Example: % CPU would depend on what type and/or how many CPU's they were running (2% of a Celeron is a lot less than 2% of a dual Xenon HT) and the % would be compared to what? Is it 2% of the maximum capacity if the CPU was running at "max" for 24 hours or 2% compared to other users...I'd ask for some explanations from them and see if you like what they say before signing up.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Web Hosting Master

Hi there,

This basically means how much CPU time each of the accounts can have, and it does sound quite small, especially on the first package where databases are limited to 8 concurrent connections. If you are running a script which expects to be viewed by more than 8 people at a time. Especially if you want to use a forum etc

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Yeah, ok. thanks for the clarification on that. guess I wont be going that route.

~Entrepreneur at heart~ Pm me.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Everything in life is swelly

That doesn't really mean that its bad to have a resource limit on shared plans. That helps improve the experience for all the customers alike, not just yours. So in sense they are making it more enjoyable by not putting you on a server that is going to lag due to customers who use excessive resources.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted