No Easy Finding.

There are so many different suggestions it hard to tell who to go with.

Anyway, I am fed up with ipowerweb.

I have nothing but trouble, sure if its just a simple web page your ok, but forums
    and top 100,s and anything with a data base I have trouble.

I just called them about the too many connections error on every
    database site and they said it was my fault. Well maybe it is maybe not,
    I am really not sure.

Warning: mysql_pconnect(): Too many connections in xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is a nightmare for a simple guy trying to put together a few web sites.
    I have 5 sites with them, on a reseller account. all are mine.

I don't think I could run a dedicated server, I don't have the knowledge.

I just want a fast host, where i can run my phpbb and other databases
    and build my sites.

any suggestions

The biggest site pabucks.com has never used 40gb a month.

Price if i can add all 5 sites 100 or so a month
    or
    just get pabucks.com on a new sever $40 a month.

Bandwidth 50 gb
    Space 100 mb
    Control Panel preferred c panel
    Location? Pennsylvania
    *Budget* 100
    Last edited by zanerzack; 04-04-2006 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zanerzack
    Warning: mysql_pconnect(): Too many connections in xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    There's your problem, try turning off pconnect in your code. pconnect = persistent connections, which means that your code is creating MySQL connections to the database server that NEVER CLOSE. I'll pretty much guarantee that you'll have alot less problems with using mysql_connect, rather than mysql_pconnect in your code as far as those errors go.

Sorry to hear that, if you want to change hosts I would recommend that you do a host quote by clicking "Find a host" at the top of this page and then make sure you do research on the companies that reply using the search feature.
    Last edited by the_pm; 04-05-2006 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Sig Spam

Location? Pennsylvania
    That's rather restrictive, without just cause IMO. In terms of performance you should be just as fine with hosting anywhere in the US.

It's good to see that your budget is in line with your needs.

Regarding your search, I suggest that while/instead of waiting here for recommendations (which generally don't come in high numbers), you spend some time reading threads and picking up any names of hosts that are positively mentioned.

Make a list, then start searhing for their names and reading more reviews about them: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php

Contact the hosts that seem to be more fit to be your host, multiple times. Ask them what they feel about hosting websites like yours in their shared hosting environment. Give them a description of the sites, scripts you're using and various usage statistics.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ldcdc
    Make a list, then start searhing for their names and reading more reviews about them: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php

Contact the hosts that seem to be more fit to be your host, multiple times. Ask them what they feel about hosting websites like yours in their shared hosting environment. Give them a description of the sites, scripts you're using and various usage statistics.
    Great suggestion. That is your best bet. Furthermore, I believe that you can find something closer to what you need if you search by "needs" on directories.
    <<< Please see Forum Guidelines for signature setup. >>>

Thanks guys. I fixed the pconnect, I changed it to connect.

I CALLED powerweb again and talked to another guy.

It took about 25 mins on the phone but they reset the server,

He said it was a courtesy and it it happens again they will take down my site.

I must keep looking and find my new home.

You guys are great, thanks for advise. I will research a ton.

I just hope in the end I find a good place.

Cool

Not saying you don't want to keep looking for a host but we have had that happen several times with people with forums. Persistent connections can really load up the database fast if you have them turned on. About the only time you can use them (they do speed up a forum) is if your forum is on a dedicated and you can watch your own connections or the forum has very little traffic.
    New Idea Hosting NO Overselling-Business-Grade, Shared Only! New-In House Design Team.
    High Speed & Uptime; , DIY Pro-Site Builder-Daily Backups-Custom Plans, All Dual Xeon Quad Intel servers w/ ECC DDR3 RAM SCSI RAID minimums.
    We Concentrate on Shared Hosting ...doing one thing and doing it VERY well

DDT is right. And I don't think you have to be too afraid of not knowing enough. The supplier should help you with the setup and if everything is as straight-forward as you say, once you are up, you won't have to worry about it again. And you should still be able to get support if you run into problems.
    --
    http://www.dnfHosting.com
    *Hosting with a personal flair*