Arrow Unique New Control Panel Under Development

Hello Webhosting Community,

I represent a software development company mainly in the business of product development. Our company has recently launched the development of a Control Panel for Linux/Unix servers for the Webhosting industry. While this Control Panel will have a web based interface for the client, we are also proposing to build a Java based Client (downloadable) which will let the user make changes that they need and then connect to the server for just updating the same. This will save him both time as well as bandwidth and will allow user to utilize the Control Panel even when offline. Since many of you here are experts and experienced web hosters, I wish to seek your feedback on this. Also, feel free to suggest any new utilities that you would like to see in this Control panel.

Feedback part 1: Big blue italic text just makes things harder to read.

Feedback part 2: Have you honestly thought this through much and are you sure you know what you're getting into here? Not to be rude, but from the nature of your post it sound as if you are biting off more than you can chew:

This will save him both time as well as bandwidth and will allow user to utilize the Control Panel even when offline.
    How much bandwidth is going to be saved here? I would bet a very heavy control panel user would save maybe 1 megabyte of bandwidth per month by going through the API you will have to create instead of the web interface.

How are they going to do anything with your java client while offline?

I could go on, but I will let you reply first.
    Mike from Zoodia.com
    Professional web design and development services.
    In need of a fresh hosting design? See what premade designs we have in stock!
    Web design tips, tricks, and more at MichaelPruitt.com

Our company has recently launched the development of a Control Panel for Linux/Unix servers for the Webhosting industry
    While I applaud your.. enthusiasm, I would hope that you have noticed that this market is quite saturated by some big players.. not saying it cant be done, but prepare for an uphill battle.

Also.. the java client.. So you make changes offline, then sign on and update them? Thats insane, unless you are on 56k. Even then.. People want INSTANT feedback.

I would recommend that if you are going to do this you make a panel that is FAST above anything else.
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

Unless we get free copies, please don't expect us to hand you features we want to you on a silver platter.

Quote Originally Posted by tamasrepus
    Unless we get free copies, please don't expect us to hand you features we want to you on a silver platter.
    So you expect a free copy of a script for suggesting a feature? Have you asked the cPanel, Plesk or Interworx developers for a free copy when you suggest a feature?
    "Sad, small, sweet so delicate, We used to be this dyeing breed" -- Taking Back Sunday - A Decade Under the Influence
    "If we cut out the bad, well then we'd have nothing left" -- The Used - Cut Up Angels

The difference is, they have an established product.

When you are starting out you have to work with the community if you want the community to work with you.
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

Quote Originally Posted by innova
    The difference is, they have an established product.

When you are starting out you have to work with the community if you want the community to work with you.
    Well it looks as if this is what the OP is trying to do.
    "Sad, small, sweet so delicate, We used to be this dyeing breed" -- Taking Back Sunday - A Decade Under the Influence
    "If we cut out the bad, well then we'd have nothing left" -- The Used - Cut Up Angels

Quote Originally Posted by srcnix
    So you expect a free copy of a script for suggesting a feature? Have you asked the cPanel, Plesk or Interworx developers for a free copy when you suggest a feature?
    I don't use CPanel, Plesk, or Interworx (or any commercial panel) so I don't know if I can answer that, nor do I know whether it's relevant...

Better question: if you used Plesk, and a CPanel representative came to you asking for features, would you give a (useful) reply? You've no incentive to--you don't use CPanel, whether CPanel becomes better has nothing to do with you.

Sorry if I came off negative, but the OP looks to just be avoiding the research that he should be doing if he was developing a commercial product. His question in my eyes is no better if someone asked "how do I start a webhost? what things should I offer?"--questions I don't think most WHTers would have issue with shooting down either.